Play Nice Society, Religion & Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this is inappropriate for this thread. I suggest you take it to the politics thread.

Fwiw, that is not his job. I'd rather red necked Australians have a hard think and come out with support for a treaty, extended land rights and compensation.
Said 39.9% of Australians in the 2023 Referendum.

If it's alright for Adam to grandstand his politiics whilst wearing our club shirt - then it's alright for club supporters to comment.

Said 39.9% of Australians in the 2023 Referendum.

If it's alright for Adam to grandstand his politiics whilst wearing our club shirt - then it's alright for club supporters to comment.
It wasn't "politics". Adam was pretty humble throughout, just pointed out some realities that some people are uncomfortable having to think about, wasn't "grandstanding" either.

A) Florent is hugely overrated and has failed in just about each position he has be tried in thus far.
B) Goodes has made some missteps in race relations with his "platform". Hoping to see him to be a more unifying figure moving forward for reconciliation.
C) Buddy was self indulgent not to do grand final send off. The AFL world adores him and wanted to send him off the hero that he is. Missed a fairytale for the fans.
From his supposedly controversial Australian of the Year speech:

“It means treating people the way you want to be treated, whether that’s your manners, the way you talk to people, whether they are your loved ones or the person serving your dinner."

“I believe we are all connected whether we like it or not. We are all equal and the same in so many ways. My hope is that we as a nation can break down the silos between races, break down those stereotypes of minority populations, indigenous populations and all other minority groups. I hope we can be proud of our heritage regardless of the colour of our skin and be proud to be Australian.”

“The ultimate reward is when all Australians see each other as equals and treat each other as equals. To me, everything is about people and the choices we make. I believe it’s the people and the interactions between us that makes this country so special. Thank you so much and have a great Australia Day.”

He did point out racism, then offered an extremely gracious response upon learning it was a 13 year old. He did shake an imaginary boomerang towards a large group of people, who must have been so scared, in honour of a junior development team of Indigenous players (then explained the context for all to hear and ignore).

Such divisiveness.

Last edited:

From his supposedly controversial Australian of the Year speech:

“It means treating people the way you want to be treated, whether that’s your manners, the way you talk to people, whether they are your loved ones or the person serving your dinner."

“I believe we are all connected whether we like it or not. We are all equal and the same in so many ways. My hope is that we as a nation can break down the silos between races, break down those stereotypes of minority populations, indigenous populations and all other minority groups. I hope we can be proud of our heritage regardless of the colour of our skin and be proud to be Australian.”

“The ultimate reward is when all Australians see each other as equals and treat each other as equals. To me, everything is about people and the choices we make. I believe it’s the people and the interactions between us that makes this country so special. Thank you so much and have a great Australia Day.”

He did point out racism, then offered an extremely gracious response upon learning it was a 13 year old. He did shake an imaginary boomerang towards a large group of people, who must have been so scared, in honour of a junior development team of Indigenous players (then explained the context for all to hear and ignore).

Such divisiveness.
"Facts, schmacts. Facts can be used to prove ANYTHING that's even REMOTELY true." Homer J. Simpson

I think this is inappropriate for this thread. I suggest you take it to the politics thread.

Fwiw, that is not his job. I'd rather red necked Australians have a hard think and come out with support for a treaty, extended land rights and compensation.
Mods, #78 characterizes 61% (Referendum 2023) of voting Australians as unthinking 'rednecks'.

I note it wasn't shunted off the graveyard shift of inconvenient opinions (the Politics thread in the Skilton Bar), as was my response to #78.

Mods, #78 characterizes 61% (Referendum 2023) of voting Australians as unthinking 'rednecks'.

I note it wasn't shunted off the graveyard shift of inconvenient opinions (the Politics thread in the Skilton Bar), as was my response to #78.
Grand Uncle Horace & sthmelb_dimmie's comments were about mtooler's comment in the context of the unpopular opinions thread. ie. On topic.

Yours (and others) were about an issue that was about society & politics and not unpopular AFL opinions. ie. Off topic.

Hope that clarifies it.

Have moved all posts related to the issue to this thread as it belongs here and is a discussion people are obviously willing to have.

Grand Uncle Horace & sthmelb_dimmie's comments were about mtooler's comment in the context of the unpopular opinions thread. ie. On topic.

Yours (and others) were about an issue that was about society & politics and not unpopular AFL opinions. ie. Off topic.

Hope that clarifies it.

Have moved all posts related to the issue to this thread as it belongs here and is a discussion people are obviously willing to have.
I mean I directly replied to the same post and mine got moved here...

Sorry, genuine mistake, didn't realise that it would be seen as non AFL related as what is AFL related seems pretty wide and far when it comes to social issues nowadays.
And these conversations always lead to pages of off topic posts. C88 was correct in moving the posts. As I & other mods have done for posts that raise the issues of sponsorship and social issues on specific match day themes.

Trump very clearly leading in the Republican leadership caucus by a fair margin.
Iowa he's like 51% with the closest being De Santis at 22%.

Stands a fair share of getting elected again at which point when he refuses to leave for a 2nd time we can expect the Yanks to kick of their next next civil war.

Trump very clearly leading in the Republican leadership caucus by a fair margin.

Stands a fair share of getting elected again at which point when he refuses to leave for a 2nd time we can expect the Yanks to kick of their next next civil war.
We've got the Texas National Guard trying to interfere with federal border patrol, leading to standoffs, so maybe we won't have to wait (not entirely being serious here).

Also a court standoff between the US and Texas over who actually has jurisdiction over the border, given Texas has been placing buoy barriers and razor wire along river banks and in the river, meaning if people get trapped they can drown.

Last edited:
Mods, I'm only in here to support my club, just as I was at the SCG in the late 1980's.

If it was only a crowd of just 18,000 diehards at the SCG, still I cheered for Gerard Healy, Greg Williams and Mark Bayes. I only want whats best for the Swans future..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mods, I'm only in here to support my club, just as I was at the SCG in the late 1980's.

If it was only a crowd of just 18,000 diehards at the SCG, still I cheered for Gerard Healy, Greg Williams and Mark Bayes. I only want whats best for the Swans future..
Why have you posted this here ?

the civil war will start from the uprising against trump declaring himself president for life during his second term, after he cancels the 2028 election ...
it'll save us all that aukus money too, after he cancels any deal that involves the transfer of us military intelligence ... by then, most of the rest of the world will be mourning the disappearance of any us intelligence

With all the Aussie Day debate , my view is to have it on the last Monday in January .
Maybe the last Friday, or if that's the 26th, the last Monday (or v.v.). Or just say the last day that's a Friday or Monday, in any given year, then it can never be the 26th.

Maybe the last Friday, or if that's the 26th, the last Monday (or v.v.). Or just say the last day that's a Friday or Monday, in any given year, then it can never be the 26th.

Change Australia Day to a National Day later in the year (Start with May 8 being the first sitting of parliament), until we become a republic so we can pick a date in July that gives us a mid year public holiday to replace Kings Birthday and keep the late January Public Holiday as the 3rd Monday in January as the "everyone gets drunk" public holiday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back