Something worth thinking about

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s that time of year and while we all want to see the list improve just keep in mind that there’s a bunch of blokes who’ve lost their jobs today. So I dunno, maybe be a little less gleeful at some of these delistings.
(I’ve probably been guilty of it in the past)

Most of these delistings are young enough that they can go back to a state league and if they blossom they will be considered again. I hope they give it a crack if they really want it.

I don’t think you last 4 years on an AFL list doing ‘fu** all’.
Look at Begley 1 good game

If i turned up and had 1 good day at work in 4 years I'd have been fired after a week

It’s almost as if footy clubs aren’t your standard workplace
Yeah i know but I'm happy to have list cloggers gone

Not celebrating it but good smart decisions

Obviously there’s a line. But nothing wrong with being happy about making smart list decisions
Yeah, this is my thinking.

Hate to see anyone (staff, players, admins etc) lose their jobs, in theory. But at the same time, I'm happy that the club is making tough decisions to aid our future.

Yeah, this is my thinking.

Hate to see anyone (staff, players, admins etc) lose their jobs, in theory. But at the same time, I'm happy that the club is making tough decisions to aid our future.
I agree 100%

I did see a few comments though that seemed a little off given some young bloke just got some really shithouse news in the past few days.

I think what the OP is saying is to show a bit of respect to the players as they leave.
I agree 100%

I did see a few comments though that seemed a little off given some young bloke just got some really shithouse news in the past few days.
Yeah I agree, doesn't hurt to show a bit of respect to the players who have tried hard for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from losing your job the sudden change in lifestyle would be so jarring for these guys. From the outside we couldn't imagine just how intense the AFL system is.

The adrenaline, the comradery, the pressure, the sacrifice, and the physical pain. They now have to start their life again.

It is always a rude shock for them when it comes to an end even when they can see it coming. For 90% of them the dream is over. There is no real place for internet tools to kick them one more time.

Apart from losing your job the sudden change in lifestyle would be so jarring for these guys. From the outside we couldn't imagine just how intense the AFL system is.

The adrenaline, the comradery, the pressure, the sacrifice, and the physical pain. They now have to start their life again.
They're getting better at preparing them for life after footy. I gather the clubs are pretty good at getting them to do some study or learn a trade part time while they're playing so they have something they can do once the music stops.

It still wouldn't be very nice for them though.

To have played AFL or to have the opportunity to play AFL is a great achievement in itself.

There still remains openings at other clubs, plus opportunities in the sporting industry.

There have been players that have left one club and become great players at another.

Good luck to all for the future.

I reckon it depends a lot on where you say it. If you call a player a list clogger on Bigfooty in the Essendon forum - honestly I think that's fair enough entitled to your opinion.
If you go onto their social media page and hang crap on them then yeah that's a pretty crappy thing to do.

Personally I would never hold any animosity against a player just for not being good enough. Even if part of that is due to lack of professionalism.

I'd say it's tough.

But if you were working at your place of work, and there were a few people holding the company back, not putting in the work to reach their KPI's, or somehow hindering your process for success, would you not want to see them leave or be given the exit?

Also, let's flip it this way:

There are tons of people out there with no job already, and a sizeable few wouldn't have had the opportunity to prove themselves on the football field if their spot at that chance is taken up by someone who isn't up for the challenge, isn't made for it, and can't reach their KPI's and help the overall team to greater success...

So in essence, you can look at it as being happy that a spot is free enough for someone with the goods to hop in.

And I'll throw another one in:

Some people are just not made for something - no matter how many times people used to say "you can be whatever you want to be" - hard work talks, and if you do put in that hard work, and it's still not coming together, then it's better to put your time and effort towards something that will. So you can also be happy that it has potentially saved a few people from wasting their time by cutting their losses and focusing on something else that will bring them success in exchange for the success of the team with those that can meet the strict requirements.

That's the world.

Last edited:
I'd say it's tough.

But if you were working at your place of work, and there were a few people holding the company back, not putting in the work to reach their KPI's, or somehow hindering your process for success, would you not want to see them leave or be given the exit?

Also, let's flip it this way:

There are tons of people out there with no job already, and a sizeable few wouldn't have had the opportunity to prove themselves on the football field if their spot at that chance is taken up by someone who isn't up for the challenge, isn't made for it, and can't reach their KPI's and help the overall team to greater success...

So in essence, you can look at it as being happy that a spot is free enough for someone with the goods to hop in.

And I'll throw another one in:

Some people are just not made for something - no matter how many times people used to say "you can be whatever you want to be" - hard work talks, and if you do put in that hard work, and it's still not coming together, then it's better to put your time and effort towards something that will. So you can also be happy that it has potentially saved a few people from wasting their time by cutting their losses and focusing on something else that will bring them success in exchange for the success of the team with those that can meet the strict requirements.

That's the world.

No one would deny any of that, but there's a difference between wishing them well while being glad we're (hopefully) moving onwards and upwards, and some of the positively gleeful or spiteful comments at the news that a player they didn't rate got the arse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back