Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Worried about not getting paid?
By the sounds of it from what I heard last night they'll have a senior side, reserves side most weeks but not always and no colts.
Not the ideal situation but at least the club stays afloat for now and can rebuild.
Anyone know why they're struggling so much?
Seems to have been a mass exodus right through the three grades in the off season.
Heard that Sorell were also down on numbers from last year as well.

Any practice match results from SFL clubs?
Hobart went down by 108 points to TSL club North Hobart at North Hobart last night in a five quarter match which featured both Seniors and Reserves squads playing.
After a hard-fought first quarter the Demons took control in the second quarter, their superior fitness saw them run over the Tigers in the last two and a bit quarters.
After leading by 41 points in the latter stages of the third quarter North kicked the final ten goals of the night to win 19.15 (129) to 3.3 (21).
Hobart had six regular senior players not playing and again look to be struggling to find goalkickers.
In the Friday evening match at Abbotsfield Park, Claremont and Old Scholars club Richmond met.
By all reports the Blues won comfortably over an undermanned Claremont that had a fair few players not playing.

Last edited:

gee the mercury has plenty to answer for
just cuts ,and paste all the AFL crap for years , has no local content at all( excluding Clarence footy team )
never saw them up the TCA when real tigers were under the pump

Tye Bennett Memorial Cup match tonight at Abbotsfield Park between Hobart and DOSA saw a five quarter match featuring both seniors and reserves.
In the seniors DOSA ran out comfortable winners 7.8 (50) to 2.3 (15) over the Tigers in a three quarter match, the reserves played the final two quarters under lights which saw Hobart beat DOSA by 9-points, 6.3 (39) to 5.0 (30).
Combined scores for the evening:
DOSA: 2-5, 4-6, 7-8, 10-8, 12-8 (80)
Hobart: 2-0, 2-2, 2-3, 6-5, 8-6 (54)

gee the mercury has plenty to answer for
just cuts ,and paste all the AFL crap for years , has no local content at all( excluding Clarence footy team )
never saw them up the TCA when real tigers were under the pump

I have been told by the SFL that that there is an attempt to have a weekly press conference attended by a captain and coach, as well as the members of the media including The Mercury. I am not sure how this will be going, but, as of the meeting I've had with the SFL in discussing the media side of the league they are looking for this.

Photos from Claremonts Practice Match against Richmond last week.
Practice Match - Claremont vs Richmond

I will have photos from tonights Hobart/DOSA one tomorrow. I have a fair few photos to do for the SFL Footy Record first.

Brighton will field a senior and reserves side, there will be no Brighton colts, there is still a question mark over the colts from Huonville Lions, there were a few weeks they were down on numbers last year.
Heard somewhere Sorell were struggling for numbers as well.
Watched a couple of quarters of DOSA and Hobart tonight and North and Hobart last week.
On those displays Hobart will be down the bottom with Sorell and Brighton, their skill level was pathetic and players looked overweigjt and underdone.
They've got no forward setup and have no one capable of kicking goals. Will be lucky to win 4 games this year.
5s settled already with NN, Claremont, Lindisfarne, Dodges and Cygnet.
Huonville, Hobart, Sorell & Brighton to make up the numbers.

Heard somewhere Sorell were struggling for numbers as well.
Watched a couple of quarters of DOSA and Hobart tonight and North and Hobart last week.
On those displays Hobart will be down the bottom with Sorell and Brighton, their skill level was pathetic and players looked overweigjt and underdone.
They've got no forward setup and have no one capable of kicking goals. Will be lucky to win 4 games this year.
5s settled already with NN, Claremont, Lindisfarne, Dodges and Cygnet.
Huonville, Hobart, Sorell & Brighton to make up the numbers.

Sorell have been picking up some players a few from Dodges Ferry, and a fair few have come through via the STJFL. When I did the SFL Player Profiles down there they have a decent number of players on the training track. I had spoke with the SFL about things Tuesday and seems the only concern now that Brighton have officially pulled their colts was Huonville and whether they were fielding one.

I watched the first game only watched a bit of the next as I was just taking some photos, Hobart looked to have no real gameplan going seemed to be 2nd to the ball quite a bit and turned it over too much.

I believe they are still missing a few across their three sides, but they did lack a forward structure and their defending at times was not the best either.

Claremont played a lot of colts, and reserves in both games against Richmond, a few of the younger Claremont players were a bit agitated from time to time. Kim Excell wasn't too happy, Kameric was doing a lot of the coaching.

Claremont also tried a fair few players in different positions as well, I think if a couple come up into the seniors it looks like they may be doing those roles. I had seen Ryan Smith play in defence before when he was in the seniors and was again playing down back against Richmond.

New Norfolk, Claremont, Lindisfarne, Cygnet will be the teams to beat with the 5th spot up for grabs, I am interested to see what Dodges Ferry does with Dolliver as coach, and David Hunt as assistant.

I have edited the thread title to this one so we can keep using it this season as well. Here's the teams for 2018 I shot these photos last night at the seaosn launch, North Hobart women's weren't there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be a tough year for Hobart off field with the TCA redevelopment.
The ruling is that only our Seniors and Reserves are allowed to use it this year (same with DOSA) but our Colts along with SFLW, STJFL, Master Rules and all football training must be relocated.
Given that we don't have a lot of volunteers it's thought we may have to completely up stumps and move all three teams home games to another venue to keep them together.

New Norfolk and Huonville Lions have pulled out of the gala day tomorrow, both in part due to cricket finals I am being told.
So the roster's stuffed again for tomorrow and have to be rejigged again?
Surely they could've pooled players together from the Colts, Reserves and Seniors combined to field one team?

Anyone else go to that gala day at Sorell on Saturday?
NN and Huonville never even turned up, others fielded weak sides.
Brighton are terrible, Sorell battled but have no depth, Hobart are so-so, Claremont don't look much, Cygnet don't look much either.
Dodges and Lindisfarne look to be in for a good year.
Rain all day made the play scrappy and ordinary. Reasonable turnout, a few hundred.
Any truth to the rumour that the SFL charged ten bucks to go in for glorified practice matches because they need to raise funds because they've got no sponsors at all?
Most clubs struggling to get colts sides together, heard as many as four won't be able to field sides INCLUDING last years premiers Hobart.
Heard New Norfolk have got absolutely nobody and are struggling massively.
Apparently their president upped and quit over the summer as well.
Brighton only had the bare numbers and have been put on notice to lift playing numbers or they'll be forced into recess.
SFL struggling enormously, probably the most it ever has. Needs and overhaul and fast.
BTW: Who won the day?
Saw one of the womens matches over on the back oval, was like watching Auskick my nephew plays in.

Yeah went and had a look. Bit hard to tell how the sides will perform this season on that given that none of the teams really took it seriously.
Most sides except Lindisfarne fielded pretty under-strength teams and had mixes of Reserves and Colts players as well.
Constant showers throughout the day made ground conditions very slippery.
Would have to be the only day I've ever been to Pembroke Park in the last twenty years where it's not been windy!

SFL Gala Day: Final Scores
Dodges Ferry 3.4 (22) d Claremont 2.2 (14)
Lindisfarne 8.5 (53) d Hobart 3.1 (19)
Claremont 4.4 (28) d Brighton 2.4 (16)
Sorell 5.1 (31) d Cygnet 4.2 (26)
Hobart 6.8 (44) d Sorell 1.0 (6)

As far as I'm aware Hobart is fielding a Colts team, very undermanned though.
Most of last year's team has either aged out or simply stopped playing, two or three have stepped up to the reserves.
I've also heard New Norfolk have lost a lot of players to other leagues and yes apparently the league doesn't have a major sponsor for the first time in its history. Challenging times ahead.

As far as I'm aware Hobart is fielding a Colts team, very undermanned though.
Most of last year's team has either aged out or simply stopped playing, two or three have stepped up to the reserves.
I've also heard New Norfolk have lost a lot of players to other leagues and yes apparently the league doesn't have a major sponsor for the first time in its history. Challenging times ahead.

Footy record suggested the Eagles have lost 11 players, but I think probably more, they've managed to grab some players back, but it'll be interesting I was told that a lot of the reserves players went back to Brighton but not sure how accurate that is considering.

I just assumed ID Clothing was sponsoring the league since they have all the logos everywhere now, apparently they have raised the levy for players registrations to get a few things going for the league which was another reason I assume the 10 dollar per person fee for the Gala Day.

I believe they will be using Sherrin's and not Burley's this year, despite the sponsorship/partnership with Burley that was announced in the past when Harrison was there still. I am not sure the difference between the two balls, but I've heard many complain about the Burley thus the change over.

I believe Dodges Ferry fielded a strong side for their first game against Claremont, not sure what they had for their second, it did seem like the Two blues took the game pretty seriously. Claremont fielded mostly colts and reserves. Not sure what Cygnet fielded in the way of players, but they didn't look the best in the wet neither did Sorell.

Brighton were good early, but then faded against a very under-strengthened Claremont side, Luke Potter seemed to be doing the coaching this time during their practice match it was David Kameric coaching but since he was playing a cricket Grand Final he wasn't there.

Sherrin's s**t all over Burley's.
A Burley sort of floats when being kicked and resembles a pasty being booted.
Not sure why that's the case. Once heard Jonathon Brown talking about them and he was saying the same thing in regard to Burley footballs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back