Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bothwell defeated Claremont quiet easy tonight at AP, scoreboard wasn’t working but would of had to of been 100points plus

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I had considered getting along to the game to take some photos, but didn't but I had expected that this might be the case looking at the team they put on the park for the Lightning Premiership is does seem like a long hard season for the Mont.

May need its own thread. Anyone here across the recent situation with the STJFL and not allowing any over age kids to play down? My Hobart U12s will fold. Southern Storm as a club will likely fold. New Norfolk has 35 players with play down permits. They will fold. I don't know about Triabunna the Hawks but I would fear for them. A week and a half before the season is supposed to start. UN Effing believable. The policies on concussion will definitely reduce concussion rates. Because no one will be playing the game.

May need its own thread. Anyone here across the recent situation with the STJFL and not allowing any over age kids to play down? My Hobart U12s will fold. Southern Storm as a club will likely fold. New Norfolk has 35 players with play down permits. They will fold. I don't know about Triabunna the Hawks but I would fear for them. A week and a half before the season is supposed to start. UN Effing believable. The policies on concussion will definitely reduce concussion rates. Because no one will be playing the game.
Let me get this right:

The STJFL have allowed overage permits in recent years but have waited until the eve of the season to advise they’ll no longer do so?!

It’s coming in nation-wide amongst more changes that will make the game unrecognisable. They are also stopping 16 year olds playing senior footy which will impact country clubs.

Let me get this right:

The STJFL have allowed overage permits in recent years but have waited until the eve of the season to advise they’ll no longer do so?!
Yep. Still no fixtures for rnd 1which is next week. Pretty much every club president has complained 'in the strongest terms'. STJFL is blaming AFL Tasmania. AFL Tasmania is referring to new guidelines. It's unbelievable.

I did hear about a week ago that there had been some rule changes but didn't have time to delve into it.
I read recently that Southern Storm Under 16.5 boys team were really struggling for numbers as was the Channel Under 16.5 boys so they've combined the two sides to play as Channel Storm this year in that age bracket.
I also noticed as of last night there was no Colts roster released for the SFL which gets underway in seven days time 🤔

Players can still play down, at least to a certain degree.

10 year olds can still play Under 12's.

Have the policy on the screen, right in front of me

Players can still play down, at least to a certain degree.

10 year olds can still play Under 12's.

Have the policy on the screen, right in front of me
Players can play down if they're in the bottom %5 of size for their age and have a medical certificate to say they should.
Kids can still play up, which is another discussion in itself.

Players can play down if they're in the bottom %5 of size for their age and have a medical certificate to say they should.
Kids can still play up, which is another discussion in itself.
Then that is an STJFL ruling, not an AFL age ruling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also noticed as of last night there was no Colts roster released for the SFL which gets underway in seven days time 🤔
The Colts roster is out now on Play HQ. Only four teams: Brighton, Huonville, Sorell and Southern Storm.

Let’s get some predictions going for the opening round

Claremont V Sorell @ Abbotsfield Park

Going to be a long day for the home side which is sad to see in its 100th, Sorell by 150

Dodges Ferry v Lindisfarne @ Shark Park

Match of the round for me, finished on equal points last season before the sharks knocked the blues out in the QF, couple of ins for both sides but some big outs for the sharks, also the loss of green is huge for the Two blues. Going to go the Two blues by 20pts

Brighton v Hobart @ Pontville

PK seems to have Brighton on the right track, doesn’t seem to have lost many players from last year’s side that played finals. Can see them pushing sides this year. Hobart’s another side who will have a long season ahead of them. Brighton by 100pts

Cygnet v New Norfolk @ Cygnet

Haven’t heard much about NN this pre season, new coach in Dylan Ford, the raining premiers at home will be a tough first up test who have gained the services of some TSL tigers another side with a new coach this season. Cygnet by 80pts

Huonville have the bye

I could be completely wrong with my tips but just my view from the sidelines, glad we finally have some local footy back

The Colts roster is out now on Play HQ. Only four teams: Brighton, Huonville, Sorell and Southern Storm.
It's not good is it. Only four. And what's happened to Lindisfarne? They've had a plethora of juniors for years and all of a sudden no colts.
Might find a few more teams in the poo so-to-speak in a few years time unless there's a sudden miraculous uptake in footy at junior level with the Devils forming.
May as well just follow the Old Scholars model of two teams per club.

It's not good is it. Only four. And what's happened to Lindisfarne? They've had a plethora of juniors for years and all of a sudden no colts.
Might find a few more teams in the poo so-to-speak in a few years time unless there's a sudden miraculous uptake in footy at junior level with the Devils forming.
May as well just follow the Old Scholars model of two teams per club.
I think the better Lindisfarne juniors have been getting cherry picked by Clarence in recent years.

Cherry picked. Big clubs poaching the best juniors from small clubs is a common issue. Junior football in Hobart is a mess on many,many levels.
Not from my experience. Good players want to test themselves at a better level and be surrounded by other good players to push them along.

Small clubs can’t complain if they have no under 16s or 18s for a kid to transition to eventually. Or if their senior club is a mess. Of course kids will choose the premier clubs.

Better players will always go to better leagues. It’s like saying AFL or VfL cherry pick the best kids from the TSL.

That’s my point - Lindisfarne don’t have 16/18s this year and 16s in recent years as they’ve been cherry picked by Clarence at U15 age. Not knocking the Roos, they’ve gotta look after themselves too - just saying what’s been taking place.

No surprise with Claremont, Hobart and New Norfolk’s struggles for player numbers and quality no secret - must say though, I didn’t think Dodges would struggle this much at home.

What are Huonville going to do to Hobart and Claremont?

The inequalities in this comp further show why the new premier/regional idea is short sighted as usual.

Should be promotion/relegation.

What are Huonville going to do to Hobart and Claremont?

The inequalities in this comp further show why the new premier/regional idea is short sighted as usual.

Should be promotion/relegation.

We will find out next week, going to be a long trip down to the huon for the pies

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back