Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Not sure how this actually works but here goes: :eek:

Rounds 1-3

After three rounds Spida's worth to the structure is now starting to really become apparent. Heavy criticism followed his opening game against the Eagles, but a near best BOG against Richmond showed he still has plenty of fire in the belly. His tap to ROK for a goal against the Tigers was classic ruckwork, and he had a couple of excellent taps from stoppages deep in the forward 50 again against the Lions which the receiving players just couldn't quite get through the middle for a goal.

The strategy of using Goodes as a third man up in attacking positions has also caught my eye. It's worked well for us in the past, and appears to work really well with Spida on the ball.

Thought his performance against the Lions was actually pretty good. On such a hot day he was always going to have a far more heavily restricted role than the one he had vs Richmond. But he showed with some strong marks inside 50 (despite some first game nerves with his accuracy in front of the SCG faithful) that when Roos puts him forward he will be very dangerous for us this year. Going forward was always going to be a vital part of his game this year, and it seems to be working nicely so far.

It also might have gone unnoticed by some, but I've really taken note of how well he positions himself in dangerous spots. All the more impressive considering how smothering the Lions defence was. He lost his opponent numerous time to find space, including some smart work that lead to a Hall goal in the first.

Not sure if his recruitment is a factor, but I've also noticed that Jolly's ruckwork seems a lot more clinical this year, especially his tap work, so just having someone with his smarts around a stoppage on the list might be already showing benefits.

I was very skeptical about his recruitment:eek: but after 3 rounds I am very pleased.:thumbsu:

We have seen many mature 'stars' come and take a lot longer to have impact... Roos himself took half season, as did Willo, and Jason Ball took 12 months.

Most pleasing is he seems to be trying to fit into team without being a lair.

Swans would look not quite as frightening to opposition without him. (but I also hope Doyle makes it back to seniors at some stage)

Had Everitt held a few more marks (should have), and kicked straighter round 3 he might just have been in the top 10 again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back