News St Kilda to play Port Adelaide in China next year

Remove this Banner Ad

As an outsider I can see the lure of the dollars, particularly as Saints will most likely have a terrible 2018 financially. However it seems to be gifting a home ground advantage to Port in one of your home games. Probably won't cost you a final spot next year, but who knows in 2020/2021?

Perhaps if you could put up an entertaining showing there could be major sponsorship benefits, but to date the matches in China have been very hard to watch.

Sometimes you do what you have to, just to survive till the wheel turns, like you and the Hawks did in Tassie. However it seems that Port have the best end of the deal. Hope you screw them hard if they come chasing pick 4 on Draft night!

As an outsider I can see the lure of the dollars, particularly as Saints will most likely have a terrible 2018 financially. However it seems to be gifting a home ground advantage to Port in one of your home games. Probably won't cost you a final spot next year, but who knows in 2020/2021?

Perhaps if you could put up an entertaining showing there could be major sponsorship benefits, but to date the matches in China have been very hard to watch.

Sometimes you do what you have to, just to survive till the wheel turns, like you and the Hawks did in Tassie. However it seems that Port have the best end of the deal. Hope you screw them hard if they come chasing pick 4 on Draft night!

I'm not sure it's a territorial advantage to them either. Pretty much making our home game a neutral game.

US democracy is a shell of what it was with the people with the most money buying their way in with backers with special interests. The US and Australia have been slowly moving to stop people protesting and limiting freedom too. I would still rather live in Australia but politics is pretty dirty the world over, we all just believe we are on the benevolent side.
Ripping post mate.

We never get home games against Port anyway so as far as I’m concerned I’m happy to meet them on a much more neutral ground rather than playing yet again in Adelaide.

With the added bonus of making a lot more money than we would have on the off off off chance we even get a home game against Port.

i think with this Port may have under estimated the Saints.... the GCS litterally turned up played and left so Port controled everything in the lead up it was their baby and i liken it to the Harlem Globetrotters where the opposing side was just there to be someone to play against and from the the Gold Coast suns played the role of Washington Generals perfectly ... but for the Saints we have been down this path before we went to NZ with Sydney who put in the effort to make somethng from the trip and then Brisbane and Carlton who did the Gold Coast suns thing and did nothing (unlike the Generals the bastards beat us over there)... when we head over to China ill expect us to work the marketing side of things as hard if not harder than Port will ... i reckon we will have as much promotion of the game as Port bring that ultimatly will be great for the game but (especially if we win) could show Port up a little ..

i think with this Port may have under estimated the Saints.... the GCS litterally turned up played and left so Port controled everything in the lead up it was their baby and i liken it to the Harlem Globetrotters where the opposing side was just there to be someone to play against and from the the Gold Coast suns played the role of Washington Generals perfectly ... but for the Saints we have been down this path before we went to NZ with Sydney who put in the effort to make somethng from the trip and then Brisbane and Carlton who did the Gold Coast suns thing and did nothing (unlike the Generals the bastards beat us over there)... when we head over to China ill expect us to work the marketing side of things as hard if not harder than Port will ... i reckon we will have as much promotion of the game as Port bring that ultimatly will be great for the game but (especially if we win) could show Port up a little ..
Go for it. We’ll be cheering you on. Your success is our success. Seriously.

We have a plan shaping up for an AFL/PAFC/StKilda Wild Wednesday Long Lunch 29 May 2019 at the Hong Kong Football Club and night Races at the HK Jockey Club which circuits the HKFC.

I don't think people realise the potential in China. The free to air games that are in a middle of the night time slot get viewing audiences bigger than the best ratings we get for Australian games because of the population size. They literally have so many people that getting a percentage of one percent of the population of the country interested could cash us up. It's a no brainer to try to grow the game in these markets. 150 years ago basketball, soccer and rugby were minnow sports, you got to start somewhere.
Spot on Gringo - if we build a supporter base there it could be huge for the club. Even if 1 waco out of 100,000 there decides to buy a membership it would be 10,000 members extra

Last edited:
Go for it. We’ll be cheering you on. Your success is our success. Seriously.

We have a plan shaping up for an AFL/PAFC/StKilda Wild Wednesday Long Lunch 29 May 2019 at the Hong Kong Football Club and night Races at the HK Jockey Club which circuits the HKFC.
let me clarify ... its potentially a big deal for both clubs but just because of the Saints being in the second largest city in Australia the potential for chinese investment is greater for us as we come from a bigger market Port will do well out of it and im sure their marketing and promotion will be top notch

Spot on Gringo - if we build a supporter base there it could be huge for the club. Even if 1 waco out of 100,000 there decides to buy a membership it would be 10,000 members extra
we saw the huge spike in iterest in the NBA on the back of Yao Ming... would be worth holding a skills and training camp to sign a chinese international rookie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

found it Saint Watto

grand soluxe international hotel xi'an
Awesome...….thanks a heap sammm…..and thanks for the link.

I'll look into that one.

When I was there back in 2006...I imagined Xian to be the size of Geelong...lol......it was a very rude lesson on how big China is and how big the cities are.

I was getting the bus from the airport to the central part and there more and more buses everywhere the closer we got...I thought..."this must be a big place"

I found out later that Xian had 9 million people...loooool.

I'll look into that one.

When I was there back in 2006...I imagined Xian to be the size of Geelong...lol......it was a very rude lesson on how big China is and how big the cities are.

I was getting the bus from the airport to the central part and there more and more buses everywhere the closer we got...I thought..."this must be a big place"

Flying to Europe via Hong Kong.
First leg is like, OK we're still over Australia, Indonesia , Malaysia , Vietnam etc. tracking the progress. Arriving.
Next leg...China, still China , still China , still F&&%$ China , Russia , Russia , More Russia....ARE WE F...... THERE YET!!!!

I'll look into that one.

hi Saint Watto we did this in 2015. went for 21 days to china, from beijing we took an overnight train to Xian .
Even the overnight train is faster than our trains (125km per hour)

we did everything ourselves and only did one 1 day tour around the forbidden city. it was a great experience.

hi Saint Watto we did this in 2015. went for 21 days to china, from beijing we took an overnight train to Xian .
Even the overnight train is faster than our trains (125km per hour)

we did everything ourselves and only did one 1 day tour around the forbidden city. it was a great experience.
Sounds like a great trip sammm…..3 weeks in China would have ensured that you saw heaps.

The Forbidden city was certainly a mind blower....couldn't get over how big it was.

Just checked out your website. You have China all over it. Well done. So un-Suns-like.

There was a bit happening in Shanghai today in the form of a ‘game launch’ timed to coincide with the opening of Xi Jinping’s China International Import Expo and starring Minister for Trade, Tourism and Industry, Simon Birmingham who happens to be a Crow. Should be some media on it tomorrow.

Just checked out your website. You have China all over it. Well done. So un-Suns-like.

There was a bit happening in Shanghai today in the form of a ‘game launch’ timed to coincide with the opening of Xi Jinping’s China International Import Expo and starring Minister for Trade, Tourism and Industry, Simon Birmingham who happens to be a Crow. Should be some media on it tomorrow.

Hopefully you’ll have some opposition this year...both in the marketing and the game. Will make a change not to play you at AO.

Hopefully you’ll have some opposition this year...both in the marketing and the game. Will make a change not to play you at AO.
We want a high quality, tight, seesawing game that attracts and holds viewers in China. Port by 1 point, sorry. Off-field the two clubs are already working together and we’re happy to split new income 50:50, obviously.

I reckon it would be a great idea to have optional Chinese commentary for all Saints (and Port I guess) games this season, to give viewers there an opportunity to learn more about the game prior to the Shanghai Showdown. There must be plenty of Chinese native speakers in Australia, just need to find a few that follow the sport and are able to call a game in Cantonese or Mandarin.

Then just get some local expert to upload it onto Youku Tudou (the Chinese alternative to YouTube), as well as WeChat, MeiPai and DouYin with the right type of keywords, get some enticing hype going, stuff that might seem exotically funny and/or weird to a foreign market, as well as awesome modern day Aussie Rules highlights (probably need to get a Chinese social media expert as part of the marketing team to handle all this).

We're in this for a minimum of 3 years, might as well go all in with the marketing, otherwise it'll just be like those old London exhibition games in the old days; we come, we go, no one notices or cares.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back