Strategy STAND rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
And the player with the ball should have to start lined up with man on mark. I noticed often the player with the ball already is "inside" and with a couple of steps can be more 5m wide of the man on mark.
Our MacIntosh is an expert at it. Out on the wing it is to hard for the umps to get out there and tell him to get back over the mark. The game would be held up constantly. Kicked a goal like that in one of the practice matches. 65m out, ran 15m kicks the goal and his opponent is still waiting for the ump to blow play on.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the season. Heard one of the coaches, don't remember who, saying that this is normal. Few weeks of a new rule leads to more attack as it's easy to take advantage of. As time goes on the coaches and players learn how to defend the new rule. So it bogs down a bit.

Certainly advantages us. We're the best repeat effort team in the AFL. So making it a game of repeat efforts is fine by us.

reckon it doesn't help the mark kick teams like Geelong and WEagles too much. They do get a bit more ease of kick. But if oppo teams can block attacking space the kicks will go more sideways anyway. It's the forward handball and quick kicks to a messy situation that are hugely advantaged - and that's our game.

But we'll see in about 6 months.

Biggest pile of s**t rule ever introduced. If you wanted to stop congestion then get rid of the ruck nomination rule. The Umpire should immediately throw the ball up regardless if there is a ruck present or not. Anyone can go up but if two players from the one side contest then pay a free against them. Stand rule has turned the game into netball. The idea that it favours players with good disposal skill is bullshit. Players with good disposal will hit a target under pressure, players with poor skills are not under pressure and thus also can hit a target. It's now a game of keeping off.

Defibrillate

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Second game I’ve seen today live with the new rule and (combined with the extra kick out distance) have never seen so many coast to coast goals live.

Coaches will clamp down on this - and probably the simplest easiest way is to flood back and totally clog defence. Even now players aren’t manning the mark down the field and are really already conceding territory on the wing.

I honestly think by the end of the season we will see the law of unintended consequences - 16 players in the back 50 and attempt to slingshot forward to create chaos. Call it parking the bus, call it what you will, but I fear we’ll be back to 2005-2006 days again. Coaches won’t allow teams to go end to end so easily.

djspank

1980+2017+2019+2020
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea F.C
Proof of a conscious effort to stop our dominance....

20210404_221616.jpg

20210404_221652.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tony Stark

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
The problem I have with the stand rule is that from my understanding if the player with the ball moves off the line then its play on. From watching games so far umpires have been very inconsistent when they call play on meaning the players cannot anticipate the call or a 50 metre penalty will be applied.

If the AFL are serious about convincing supporters that these new rules improve the game then surely the umpires need to apply the rule consistently, this goes for any rule for that matter as consistency is the key for a better officiated game.

All the talk about this rule favouring or not favouring a team is probably correct early on when the rule is first implemented as some sides will adapt quicker than others, essentially we have had a month less to work on adapting to the new rule compared to most other teams, but there is no reason longer term why it should disadvantage us more than any other side one we tweak our gameplan.

Our manic pressure game builds during the season and sides picking there way through our defensive structure still requires precision and our pressure if at it's best will still affect an opposition's ability to execute.

As soon as the Swans beat us it was open slather for the media to go on a frenzy as to the lock being opened as to how to beat us and the new stand rule being part of that. The new stand rule doesn't stop you sticking tackles, hitting a target with a handball, kicking the ball to your own player, these are all controlled by the players not the umpires so I am sure we can turn things around.

I'm convinced that the issue with us is we haven't quite adjusted our game plan to take full advantage of the quicker ball movement when we're in possession, nor have we adjusted defensively to quicker movement of the ball by the opposition which is opening us up when not in possession.

So far this year we've seen the likes of Tex Walker averaging over 5 goals a game as the Crows are getting the ball into him quickly to allow him to compete in more 1-1 contests with his direct opponent. Josh Bruce kicked 10 because the Dogs got the ball in quick, McKay kicked 7 as the Blues used quick ball movement and opened up space for him to compete 1-1.

While our ball movement into F50 has been largely stagnant and not allowing our 2 big guns to compete in 1-1 contests, instead we're still trying to kick the ball into Jack and Tom where they try and bring the ball to ground if they can't mark and lock it in our forward line, however that's not happening as the opposition once they get possession, just need to hit up one mark and they get instant control of the footy as we can't then put the pressure on them to slow down their rebound.

So first thing we need to do is sort out the attacking ball movement. For mine I'd love to see us clear our the 50 and alternate having Jack and Lynch being isolated deep inside 50 and allow them to compete 1-1 with the direct opponents, also using Martin when he rests forward. Not many defenders in the league would be happy being 1-1 with any of those 3 inside 50. I'd also like to see a change of the structure, instead of having the 3 small forwards only using the 2 best options. Adding the likes of Caddy to the forward mix as a mid sized marking option who can get up the ground and be a link up wouldn't hurt either.

Down back I'd like to see us stop using the likes of Astbury & Balta as the second ruck as it really hurts our structure when they are up the ground. In the next 2 weeks CCJ comes off of suspension and would be a welcome addition to the side to give us the ideal set up in terms of a second ruck. In terms of the back 7 I like the set up of Astbury Balta Grimes Broad Vlastuin Houli & Baker as the defensive unit which means using Short up the ground on Caddys wing where his foot skills could really cause some damage with delivery into the F50.

B: Astbury Balta Grimes
HB: Houli Vlastuin Baker
C: KMac Cotchin Short
HF: Castagna Lynch Bolton
F: Caddy Riewoldt Martin
R: Nankerivs Graham Prestia
INT: Edwards Lambert Broad CCJ

Along side the above changes we need to start bringing in some of the younger kids when opportunity arises to start their journey.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Its a dogs breakfast of a rule in the first place.
Now its just ******* frustrating to watch.
These dinky di 15 mtr passes does my head in.
Its like a large game of checkers.
Make it 25mtr the min for a mark to be paid.

Biggest pile of sh*t rule ever introduced. If you wanted to stop congestion then get rid of the ruck nomination rule. The Umpire should immediately throw the ball up regardless if there is a ruck present or not. Anyone can go up but if two players from the one side contest then pay a free against them.

Got that right - they are starting to speed up the nomination as we are seeing a few more non-presentations - but that only magnifies the stupidity of the process / rule for mine when there is only one competing Ruck. I'm convinced this rule was as much about protecting the umpires (the poor little darlings), when they exit the throw up, as stopping the third man up - I mean how hard is it, as you say, just to award a free kick if there is third involvement???!!!!

Stand rule has turned the game into netball. The idea that it favours players with good disposal skill is bullshit. Players with good disposal will hit a target under pressure, players with poor skills are not under pressure and thus also can hit a target. It's now a game of keeping off.

Certainly starting to look more like netball - the Stand Rule, the zones, the contact interpretations, and it has always been keepings-off, so that doesn't worry me quite so much as it is beginning to resemble a non-contract sport. How long do you give it until headgear of some kind is mandated - the science and sadness of recent discoveries and the ongoing analysis will be just too compelling and foreseeable to ever avoid responsibility of some kind.

Around 2500 years ago an old dude called Heraclitus said "the only thing that was constant was change" - I'm pretty sure Hocking has that tattooed somewhere. If you had said to me 10 or 20 years ago a rule or provision for a rule would change barely days before a season begins I would have laughed out loud and long - that simply wasn't how the AFL did these things - it was more about, consider, test, prove, seek approval. Enter Heraclitus, er Hocking.

Strap yourself in sregit - you are in for a bumpy ride!

Last edited:
May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
The problem I have with the stand rule is that from my understanding if the player with the ball moves off the line then its play on. From watching games so far umpires have been very inconsistent when they call play on meaning the players cannot anticipate the call or a 50 metre penalty will be applied.

If the AFL are serious about convincing supporters that these new rules improve the game then surely the umpires need to apply the rule consistently, this goes for any rule for that matter as consistency is the key for a better officiated game.

All the talk about this rule favouring or not favouring a team is probably correct early on when the rule is first implemented as some sides will adapt quicker than others, essentially we have had a month less to work on adapting to the new rule compared to most other teams, but there is no reason longer term why it should disadvantage us more than any other side one we tweak our gameplan.

Our manic pressure game builds during the season and sides picking there way through our defensive structure still requires precision and our pressure if at it's best will still affect an opposition's ability to execute.

As soon as the Swans beat us it was open slather for the media to go on a frenzy as to the lock being opened as to how to beat us and the new stand rule being part of that. The new stand rule doesn't stop you sticking tackles, hitting a target with a handball, kicking the ball to your own player, these are all controlled by the players not the umpires so I am sure we can turn things around.
We just had a s**t game, you could tell we were off a few minutes into the first qtr with the score 2-2 and the stand rule had nothing to do with it.

So first thing we need to do is sort out the attacking ball movement. For mine I'd love to see us clear our the 50 and alternate having Jack and Lynch being isolated deep inside 50 and allow them to compete 1-1 with the direct opponents, also using Martin when he rests forward. Not many defenders in the league would be happy being 1-1 with any of those 3 inside 50. I'd also like to see a change of the structure, instead of having the 3 small forwards only using the 2 best options. Adding the likes of Caddy to the forward mix as a mid sized marking option who can get up the ground and be a link up wouldn't hurt either.

Been saying up here for weeks that a forward, played one-out is gold now - get the riff-raff out of the forward arc! Timing and speed will be everything outside the arc - any marking possession outside the arc then becomes a weapon of mass destruction. We will see quite a bit of attempted innovation over the next few months - Parkin would even be trying his lifting mark technique again if he could ;) Hocking is not going to be leave the game without leaving his mark on it, oh, and his STAND!!

Give it time and teams will be running away from an opposition player that takes a mark. The player with the ball can either take his kick or play on but you haven't lost a player by standing like a gimp on the mark.

Yes, but the player is supposed to be 5m back which thankfully hasn't been judiciously applied yet. That's a fair bit of running away.....

RJKTiger

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
The worst thing i see about the stand rule is - the team without the ball effectively plays a man down. The man on the mark is totally useless.

The other stuffed up thing is , while the "Stand" rule has come into play - the 50m penalty for players holding onto their opponent too long after a mark/free - or knocking the ball out of their hands, kicking it against play after the whistle - these 50's have completely disappeared. They have made the game a bit of a joke tbh

The worst thing i see about the stand rule is - the team without the ball effectively plays a man down. The man on the mark is totally useless.

The other stuffed up thing is , while the "Stand" rule has come into play - the 50m penalty for players holding onto their opponent too long after a mark/free - or knocking the ball out of their hands, kicking it against play after the whistle - these 50's have completely disappeared. They have made the game a bit of a joke tbh
How is the team without the ball playing a man down? Outside the guy with the ball and the man on the mark there are still 17 other players on the ground from each side.

Thrasher97

🏆🏆🏆
Jul 26, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
LEPPITSCH FORECASTS THE COACH WHO COULD LOOK TO CLAMP DOWN GAME
Gerard Whateley was full of praise for the AFL, admitting he thought the game was beyond repair.

“I think across three years, it’s nothing short of genius. I didn’t think the game could be restored the way it has been now,” Whateley said.

“I salute those who have returned the game, because this is not a one-year project.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back