Mystery Star exhibits strange light patterns...

Remove this Banner Ad

20% just think about the size of whatever is obscuring the star... Considering it's a large star to begins with

Will be very interesting finding out what it is

my moneys on gases that will eventually form a gas giant or binary star.

think about it, jupitar is about a tenth the size of our sun but if it was primordial and the gases hand not yet coalesced it would basically appear as a shadow if it were closer to the sun.

given that we've found many gas giants far closer to suns then we expected this is a strong possibility and accounts for the faster rotation.

my moneys on gases that will eventually form a gas giant or binary star.

think about it, jupitar is about a tenth the size of our sun but if it was primordial and the gases hand not yet coalesced it would basically appear as a shadow if it were closer to the sun.

given that we've found many gas giants far closer to suns then we expected this is a strong possibility and accounts for the faster rotation.
Borrrrring.

I want it to be aliens. :(

Yeah but a gas planter that size would be a star not formed, 20% is pretty big hopefully they can discover whatever it is.

regular gas giants can not be formed that big a super jupiter perhaps, it depends upon the material.
Hap-P-1B for example has a diametre of 192,000 Km's.
This Star KIC 8462852 diameter is about two million eighty-eight thousand km's
20% of that is about 417,600KM's
but the object(s) itself can be far smaller than that depending on distance. Dipping by 20% does not mean the object is 20% of the stars mass, a currently forming gases cloud is a reasonable explanation.

and there's always the possibility that this cloud could form into a second star once the materials were brought together simply due to mass.

i'm not saying its currently a gases giant i'm saying it's a gases could possibly still forming into a gas giant, once fully formed these gases would have condensed into the planet reducing its over all area.

regular gas giants can not be formed that big a super jupiter perhaps, it depends upon the material.
Hap-P-1B for example has a diametre of 192,000 Km's.
This Star KIC 8462852 diameter is about two million eighty-eight thousand km's
20% of that is about 417,600KM's
but the object(s) itself can be far smaller than that depending on distance. Dipping by 20% does not mean the object is 20% of the stars mass, a currently forming gases cloud is a reasonable explanation.

and there's always the possibility that this cloud could form into a second star once the materials were brought together simply due to mass.

i'm not saying its currently a gases giant i'm saying it's a gases could possibly still forming into a gas giant, once fully formed these gases would have condensed into the planet reducing its over all area.
I think the paper ruled out these options, particularly the star one, but i don't have the concentration to process the scientific language of it.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1509.03622v1.pdf

They ruled out everything they could think of, with the exception of it being possibly a family of exocomets - but they're as rare as a Bangkok massage without a happy ending.

I've bookmarked this thread. No doubt it'll be explained away in time but it's fishy enough to keep an eye on in the meantime. Discovering an ancient alien space structure would be incredible after all.

I think the paper ruled out these options, particularly the star one, but i don't have the concentration to process the scientific language of it.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1509.03622v1.pdf

well not exactly, in sciency terms what i'm talking about is a disk comprised of stellar debris, however generally these are found around young stars KIC 8462852 is not young, the reason you don't usually find such "objects" around old stars is that usually they would have formed into planets or been pulled apart into rings or even pushed out into realms of deep space by solarwinds.

thing is we don't really know how old 852 is, some claim it's too old to have such a disk, but at this distance we just can't be sure. the only thing going against a stellar disk is the lack of Infrared data and its extreme size. it doesn't mean it can be ruled out it just means the current way we confirm the presence of a stellar disk (the IR data) cannot be used.

what we do know for sure:
its not one object.
its not sunspots
its not starspots
its not an error
its not an illusion

there are several things it could be problem is how you go about showing a working model which shows which option is correct.

Last edited:
Yeah the comet theory has almost been dismissed as it would have to be a very large cluster to block 20% of the star's light.....

wasn't actually dismissed just can't be accepted because the modeling which would account for such a large number of comets passing through periodically.
KIC 8462852 actually meets the conditions needed for the comet theory to happen. we just don't have a model which accounts for the scale.

its not that it can't be comets, its just that we can't say it is comets.

If they've reached that stage on the Kardashev scale they could well be generating their own, smaller version stars through Nuclear reaction containment, meaning they could have significantly smaller Dyson Spheres around artificially created light generation sources. The point of the Dyson Sphere being of course to absorb 100% of the stars output.

So kind of like an agent in the music industry.

Zing!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So kind of like an agent in the music industry.

Zing!!
hqdefault.jpg

So there have been some new developments regarding this unusual star.
The observation records of this star from 1890 to 1989 were pored over.
It was discovered that during this 99 year period this star dimmed by 16%
For this to be a natural phenomenon like the dust from comets.
It would have to a substantial amount of comets, according to studies 648,000 giant comets.
Each crossing in front of the star and 200km wide in diamater.
So perhaps the Dyson Sphere theory is still alive!

http://arxiv.org/abs/1601.03256

gION8Jq.jpg

Source said:
We obtain accurate relative photometry of KIC 8462852 from the Kepler full frame images, finding that the brightness of KIC 8462852 monotonically decreased over the four years it was observed by Kepler. Over the first ~1000 days, KIC 8462852 faded approximately linearly at a rate of 0.341 +/- 0.041 percent per year, for a total decline of 0.9%. KIC 8462852 then dimmed much more rapidly in the next ~200 days, with its flux dropping by more than 2%. For the final ~200 days of Kepler photometry the magnitude remained approximately constant, although the data are also consistent with the decline rate measured for the first 2.7 yr. Of a sample of 193 nearby comparison stars and 355 stars with similar stellar parameters, 0.6% change brightness at a rate as fast as 0.341 +/- 0.041 percent per year, and none exhibit either the rapid decline by >2% or the cumulative fading by 3% of KIC 8462852. We examine whether the rapid decline could be caused by a cloud of transiting circumstellar material, finding while such a cloud could evade detection in sub-mm observations, the transit ingress and duration cannot be explained by a simple cloud model. Moreover, this model cannot account for the observed longer-term dimming. No known or proposed stellar phenomena can fully explain all aspects of the observed light curve.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1608.01316

Gimme that imaginary spaceship from the show cosmos, i want to go see what's going on with this star.

Just something i would like to quote from one of the video's i watched that i thought was pretty mindblowing.

''A huge gas giant planet like Jupiter which is 122 times larger than the Earth, only blocks 1% of starlight.''
''Whatever is around this star is blocking starlight in the ballpark of 20%''

Just something i would like to quote from one of the video's i watched that i thought was pretty mindblowing.

''A huge gas giant planet like Jupiter which is 122 times larger than the Earth, only blocks 1% of starlight.''
''Whatever is around this star is blocking starlight in the ballpark of 20%''
Hard to fathom the sheer size of whatever is blocking this star

Remove this Banner Ad

Back