Stop the AFL From Trialling New Rules in AFL Matches in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if they choose fixtures that have no bearing on the ladder, the following week will. One team is coming back from a new set of rules while another has maintained their existing process and structures.

Teams have struggled coming off a bye, so this could be worse. Might mean a slow start and give a decent % boost to the teams that play one of the trial teams the week later.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Exactly! And in a season where results could well wind up making a few percentage points the difference between fourth and ninth, these "trial games" could well cost any of half a dozen teams a qualifying final spot, or a home elimination final, or a finals berth at all.

Not to mention that one of the major problems of the game currently is inconsistent umpiring - so let's fix that by having umpires literally have to adjudicate by two different rule sets on the same weekend!

Trialling rule changes during the season is total, utter insanity.

The reason ratings are dropping is also because of the imbecilic boys club of a commentating fraternity.

Too many jobs for mates. Seeing the same “personalities” rotating from show to show is grating. Almost every show is some tired combo of BT, Darce, Richo, Hame-o, Sam Freakin McClure, Basil, and The King.

I love footy. But I hate these goons that are force fed to me.

Backpass rule in soccer changed as well as offside has as well.

Both changes to promote more game in play and more goals. Lot more stricter interpretations on fouling players too.

To people who don’t follow AFL closely they would probably notice bugger all difference with these changes

True , did not know they had changed.

One day cricket various field restrictions changed. Introduced power plays. Used a different ball at each end. Brought the ropes in.

In Test cricket when game got ugly with leg theory tactics they brought in you could only have certain amount of fielders on the leg side. We have an ugly part of game with 36 in one part of ground for extended periods of more games than we would like.

These proposals have got to be trialled at some time. The sooner the better. Josh Jenkins covered it in sensible fashion yesterday on radio. No hysteria. Just understands what needs to be trialled.
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=258757

The reason ratings are dropping is also because of the imbecilic boys club of a commentating fraternity.

Too many jobs for mates. Seeing the same “personalities” rotating from show to show is grating. Almost every show is some tired combo of BT, Darce, Richo, Hame-o, Sam Freakin McClure, Basil, and The King.

I love footy. But I hate these goons that are force fed to me.
theyve been there a while, so why are ratings suddenly dropping off a cliff this year? Maybe it's because we are getting lower scores, and more goal-less quarters than every before

True , did not know they had changed.

One day cricket various field restrictions changed. Introduced power plays. Used a different ball at each end. Brought the ropes in.

In Test cricket when game got ugly with leg theory tactics they brought in you could only have certain amount of fielders on the leg side. We have an ugly part of game with 36 in one part of ground for extended periods of more games than we would like.

These proposals have got to be trialled at some time. The sooner the better. Josh Jenkins covered it in sensible fashion yesterday on radio. No hysteria. Just understands what needs to be trialled.
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=258757
The AFL has done nothing but introduce new rules for twenty freaking years. It has not helped. But these ones will totally help, right? Coaches wouldn't line up their six players per zone as close to the square as possible to create a permanent 36-man midfield, right? Everything will surely work this time!

EDIT: If this latest set of bandaids really must be trialled in a more meaningful fashion than the preseason, have the bottom four play off under this drivel on Thursday nights during the finals. Winner gets the #1 pick.

I genuinely dont get how things will be affected by these trial rules.

I reckon more people will watch than normal tbh.

Teams cant just tank (which would have been their plan regardless if they tried).

Can you explain - i just dont see.

I understand as a matter of principle , but thats about it
It's not about more people watching the game, it's about having all teams play by the same rules in any given weekend.

It's not an unreasonable expectation from a professional sporting body.

It's not about more people watching the game, it's about having all teams play by the same rules in any given weekend.

It's not an unreasonable expectation from a professional sporting body.
Our comp already has so many factors which make it inequitable, one more minor factor is not going to change things

What about the ones who would’ve moved to Queensland but now get to stay in Melbourne?
As much as I hate the idea of changing rules for some games your argument is terrible.
My argument is that all premiership games matter. If you had bothered to read what I wrote, you'd understand that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most don't have a problem with some of the changes proposed. The issue is if they trial changes mid season as Gill stated yesterday. Undermining a comp mid season is just plain wrong.
it's nearing the end of the season, and many of the bottom teams are sending players to surgery early so they are ready next year, or blooding young players who wouldnt normally get a game. This is just one more factor. Personally I'm interested to see these changes and what impact they could have on the game

it's nearing the end of the season, and many of the bottom teams are sending players to surgery early so they are ready next year, or blooding young players who wouldnt normally get a game. This is just one more factor. Personally I'm interested to see these changes and what impact they could have on the game
So they're resting players and blooding kids rather than going all out to win by putting their best teams on the park, which makes them much more meaningful as a source of tactical data than pre-season games in which teams... rest players and blood kids rather than going all out to win by putting their best teams on the park. Right.

So they're resting players and blooding kids rather than going all out to win by putting their best teams on the park, which makes them much more meaningful as a source of tactical data than pre-season games in which teams... rest players and blood kids rather than going all out to win by putting their best teams on the park. Right.
they're prioritising development over short term success given they cant make finals. They are still a game for premiership points though, so the rules will be applied to a proper game

they're prioritising development over short term success given they cant make finals. They are still a game for premiership points though, so the rules will be applied to a proper game
So it's the literal semantics of the premiership points that apply when gauging the effectiveness of tactics rule changes, not the idea of the coaches attempting to apply and optimise their tactics for victory. The coaches know the games don't matter, but they're for premiership points so they matter, except not enough to expect to be able to play to the same rules as everyone else because they don't matter. You're going to wear a circular groove in the carpeting at this rate.

So it's the literal semantics of the premiership points that apply when gauging the effectiveness of tactics rule changes, not the idea of the coaches attempting to apply and optimise their tactics for victory. The coaches know the games don't matter, but they're for premiership points so they matter, except not enough to expect to be able to play to the same rules as everyone else because they don't matter. You're going to wear a circular groove in the carpeting at this rate.
plus the fact players are match fit, fans are attending, TV coverage is as normal, and winning is still a high objective, moreso than a preseason game

It looks like they will just test in the second tier now so people can chill

The big problem with substantial trials in the preseason is that 18 teams are all testing and developing their systems for the coming season with rules being applied that have no chance of introduction in that season

Ok....radical idea time....

Why don't they use the final round Bye to throw together some trial matches?

Surely the non-top 8 teams could find some volunteer players to turn up? Maybe do one on the Saturday and one on the Sunday. Let people in for free, televise them to engage the fans as to what the rules may look like.

It would also stop that foul non-footy weekend on the eve of the finals.

Trialling new rules in dead rubbers, before implementing them, certainly has merit. I can see the argument.
But the notion of changing rules for some teams, for some games, during the season, is such a bad look and feels totally wrong for a professional sporting league.

I acknowledge that that is an emotional response, but 24 hours later, I still can't get past that feeling.

Trialling new rules in dead rubbers, before implementing them, certainly has merit. I can see the argument.
But the notion of changing rules for some teams, for some games, during the season, is such a bad look and feels totally wrong for a professional sporting league.

I acknowledge that that is an emotional response, but 24 hours later, I still can't get past that feeling.

Do we finally just have to concede that it's no longer a sporting competition at all?

That it is merely a commercial product.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back