Which club from interstate has the most supporters in New South Wales?

Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
When I say interstate, what I mean is clubs apart from the Swans and Giants aka clubs based interstate from New South Wales.
The reason I ask this is because New South Wales has the least amount of AFL supporters out of all Australian states, despite having the biggest population out of all Australian states.
North Melbourne sold games to Sydney for years, would there be many Kangaroos supporters in New South Wales?
What are your thoughts?

Support for a club doesn't always mean bums on seats, or financial interest but some interstate clubs bring in larger crowds than others.
It would be very hard to ascertain the support for each club without a statewide poll.
I thought one of these polls was done a while back.

Someone smarter than me would know where to find this.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 141125.png

This is one way to look at it attached are the most popular teams on Google in NSW for the 2023 season not including finals. I have not added Collingwood because they are way in front, Carlton then Essendon generate the most interest followed by Geelong, Richmond and Hawthorn.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-29 141125.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-29 141125.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 58
Pies, followed by Dons.

Sydney

Pies 44.1K
Weagles 35.1K
Dons 33.3K
Hawks 33.3K
Blues 31.9K

Bottom
Freo 24.9K
Dees 26.8K
Dogs 27K

GWS
Probably a better indication given lack of GWS support being a new club.

(Sydney 22.4K)
Pies 11.9K
Cats 11.8K
Tigers 11.3K
Dons 11.1K

Bottom
Suns 7.4K
Power 7.8K
Roos 8.2K

View attachment 1862772

This is one way to look at it attached are the most popular teams on Google in NSW for the 2023 season not including finals. I have not added Collingwood because they are way in front, Carlton then Essendon generate the most interest followed by Geelong, Richmond and Hawthorn.
It's definitive.
The most popular team in NSW is "Step-Sister"

Collingwood even have more fans in NSW then swans and gws combined.

Outside of NRL the Pies have a heap of support in NSW.

Based on the AFL fans I've met in the last year it's quite easily Collingwood.

From the east to the west of Sydney the Pies are by far the most supported AFL team in Sydney by many a miles (approx x5 the next biggest following).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Living up here, it would have to be Collingwood in terms of what you see most often.

It's incredible really how far the Magpie army stretches. Literally saw a bloke in a full Collingwood kit at my gym the other day. The type of thing that would look out of place anywhere, let alone Sydney.

Honorable mention to Richmond too, or at the very least Dustin Martin.

The average Sydneysider knows SFA all about footy, but if you were to ask them to name one player, it was Adam Goodes, Buddy Franklin, and now it's Dusty.

Occasionally you get a Bailey Smith mention too, but that's usually for other reasons.

so these numbers are membership numbers for St Kilda residing outside of Victoria ... these numbers were from Feb 2023:

ACT : 462
NSW: 1820
NT: 224
QLD: 1705
SA: 1132
TAS: 1890
WA: 1846

St Kilda have a fairly strong following outside of Victoria for a club with not a great amount of success i remember from an old Neilsens poll in the mid 2000's St Kilda had a surprisingly high "follower" status in a national poll putting them in the upper levels of supporters even though we were in the lower levels of members at the time ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back