Carlton or Richmond. Which club has more supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues are a bit like us in 2017. Despite a long time in the wilderness they have a huge, rusted on core and now theyre finally starting to come good a heap more fans will come out of the woodwork. They should crack 100k members next year and will probably overtake us in the next few years if they keep building and we drop off, but it's always cyclical to a degree so it's pretty hard to split the supporter bases.

What is the size of your supporter base indicative of anyway? Lots of people love the beach versus the snow, yay! More people have watched bieber than nick cave yay! When i get to the footy my kid looks at the seagulls flying over head and that seems to me to matter more.

Supporters v Barrackers is a more interesting proposition.
As teams start succeeding, everyone comes out of the woodwork and it’s no different to any club to be honest.

Impossible to determine, however when your team gets on a roll as the Pies and Blues are doing …….. jump on board and enjoy the ride!!

We haven't been winning since 2020 yet have kept 100k+ members since we were the first AFL club to 100k. so it doesn't make sense what you said.
Of course it makes sense.
You jump onboard when winning and naturally every team keeps increasing membership numbers. Once you win flags you have bigger than normal jumps.
In 15-20 years even GWS will hit 100k. It’s a natural upward spiral over time.

However your fans and the hawks have more bandwagon support than normal.
You dropped numbers. That’s not normal.

There were recent years when even my cats had more members than both these clubs.
That should never happen but did. Large in number but shows they aren’t that passionate unless winning, unlike more loyal fan bases in pies and Bombers.

Since covid there has only been 2 clubs not to increase memberships. They are Hawks and of course Richmond.

Give the cats a run of the last 20 years of Carlton and see how their attendances stack up.

Ours have held up pretty well considering.

Richmond were regularly getting less than 10k to the G in the late 80s early 90s. (Admittedly crowds higher across the board since then but still low by the standards of the day)

Victoria has a population of roughly 6.5m. Divide that into 10 teams

WA has a population of roughly 2.6m.
Divide that into 2 teams.

Both are AFL states.

I know the big 4 Vic clubs are well supported interstate, but so are WCE.

I’d back any of the big 4 Vic clubs to have more supporters outside their home state than the eagles.

Well you guys did have a head start, so thats a fair comment.

flags won since we joined the AFL in 1908
Carlton 14
Essendon 14
Collingwood 13
Richmond 13

54 flags and 60 runners up between us in the last 114 years is a pretty big representation

Supporter numbers are close depending on where we all sit on the ladder and we are all now in the top tier for wealth.

The more big 4 teams in finals the better IMO, big noisy crowds the old rivalries amongst supporters, you just cant beat it.

The afls wet dream would be all the big 4 in the top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Numbers mean nothing unless the supporters can bring money to the table. Its all about ratings, memberships, merchandise, ticket sales and media/story interest.

That’s why the big 4 are the big 4 for a reason. More attention, both due to large supporter bases and everyone who doesn’t support them wanting them to fail.

That’s why the big 4 are the big 4 for a reason. More attention, both due to large supporter bases and everyone who doesn’t support them wanting them to fail.
Yeah if you look at Collingwood who regularly get big crowds some of their record crowds are away to teams like Carlton Essendon and Richmond etc. teams who hate them as much as their own supporters love them, it makes for big noisy crowds which we all love, oh except that Geelong lady who thought Richmond supporters were trying to molest her because we were chanting "f*ck the Pussies":$

Not sure and no one is actually able to provide a concrete answer, given there's no pure measure of supporter size that is truly accurate.

The real question is why does it matter?

They both have strong supporter bases that are capable of bringing big crowds to big games.

Spot on and this is why both clubs will always kick the season off in Round 1 !

I’d back any of the big 4 Vic clubs to have more supporters outside their home state than the eagles.
You would have to think so without a doubt in act and qld, there’s lots of wa expats in nt so i can see there being more there, theres by definition more eagles expats in vic and vice versa in wa. There’s almost certainly more vic expats in nsw.

Dunno about sa

Both crowds were excellent and had all the ingredients needed for a monster crowd - in 2017 Richmond were playing in their first PF since 2001 and hoping to end a 37 year flag drought, this year Carlton played their first final of any kind for 10 years (and no doubt some south melb supporters also adding a bit to the attendance).

The breaking of a long flag or finals drought will always pull a huge crowd, unlike say a Geelong with fans that are used to playing finals every year.

Personally I couldn't see Essendon pulling a crowd as big as Carlton did against Sydney. Not because Carlton are necessarily a 'bigger' club but we have played in four dreadful finals since Carlton last made it and there are plenty of Essendon fans (myself included) disillusioned with the club at present.

Both crowds were excellent and had all the ingredients needed for a monster crowd - in 2017 Richmond were playing in their first PF since 2001 and hoping to end a 37 year flag drought, this year Carlton played their first final of any kind for 10 years (and no doubt some south melb supporters also adding a bit to the attendance).

The breaking of a long flag or finals drought will always pull a huge crowd, unlike say a Geelong with fans that are used to playing finals every year.

Personally I couldn't see Essendon pulling a crowd as big as Carlton did against Sydney. Not because Carlton are necessarily a 'bigger' club but we have played in four dreadful finals since Carlton last made it and there are plenty of Essendon fans (myself included) disillusioned with the club at present.

Essendon would pull a similar crowd to Carlton last week, as if you got to have a final in Melbourne chances are you wouldn’t be as disillusioned as you’d have to play some good football to be in that position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back