Which club from interstate has the most supporters in Queensland?

Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
When I say interstate, what I mean is clubs apart from the Suns and Lions aka clubs based interstate from Queensland.
The reason I ask this is because I saw a graphic a few years ago, and it showed Richmond having the most Queensland based members of all clubs apart from the Suns and Lions.
However I feel as though Carlton and Collingwood have more supporters getting around in Queensland.
What are your thoughts?

I've been to just about every Lions game at the Gabba this century and IMO it is definitely a race in 2 between the Magpies and the Tigers(recency bias).... probably Pies by a scintilla.

Pies supporters also much more likely to stick by their club in tough times.
Do North have many supporters in Queensland?
I know North have strong support in Tasmania and Western Australia, and there are not many North supporters in South Australia.
I'm not sure about Queensland or NSW though.

Do North have many supporters in Queensland?
I know North have strong support in Tasmania and Western Australia, and there are not many North supporters in South Australia.
I'm not sure about Queensland or NSW though.
If they do not many of them come to the Gabba when they play up here.... oddly the lowest crowd we had at home this year was against the Suns at 23,286... too far for the hoards of Suns fans to travel.:think:

If they do not many of them come to the Gabba when they play up here.... oddly the lowest crowd we had at home this year was against the Suns at 23,286... too far for the hoards of Suns fans to travel.:think:
And not many Lions supporters travel to Carrara either it seems

Lions Membership 54676, Suns 23359.......and only 14097 at the last Suns/Lions game at HBS...

taken from AFL membership numbers 2023: All-time record broken for competition | Sporting News Australia

And not many Lions supporters travel to Carrara either it seems

Lions Membership 54676, Suns 23359.......and only 14097 at the last Suns/Lions game at HBS...

taken from AFL membership numbers 2023: All-time record broken for competition | Sporting News Australia
I don't usually go to Lions games at Metricon, pain in the arse to get in and out, particularly if going by public transport.

Lot easier access and exit from the Gabba for Suns fans IMO, eg. Bus interchange next door, very close to the M1, reasonably close to the train line.

Cross river rail will be directly outside the gates when the new Gabba opens as well.

I don't usually go to Lions games at Metricon, pain in the arse to get in and out, particularly if going by public transport.

Lot easier access and exit from the Gabba for Suns fans IMO, eg. Bus interchange next door, very close to the M1, reasonably close to the train line.

Cross river rail will be directly outside the gates when the new Gabba opens as well.
Totally agree (bolded bit)...........haven't been to the Gabba since late 90's/early 2000's......train to Sthbank, pub crawl to Gabba and return by train...a great day was had by all and sometimes on the train home were Rugby fans from Ballymore.......now that was a fun trip home...;)

Lived a lot of my life in Brisbane and Gold Coast and there are Collingwood supporters everywhere.
The Collingwood GC match at Cararra this year was over 90% Collingwood supporters.
You meet a lot of Essendon and Hawthorn supporters as well.
Have you seen many Geelong supporters in Queensland?
I know we have a big supporter base in Western Australia thanks to Graham Farmer aka the GOAT.
No idea about Queensland though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton would be the safest guess for every non-Vic state as they have the largest national fanbase.

If I were to guess the largest interstate support, I'd say:

QLD
Collingwood - First no doubt
Essendon
Carlton

NSW
Essendon
Not sure about the third here. My guess would be Carlton or Richmond.

VIC
Sydney - Quite comfortably
Brisbane
West Coast

SA
Carlton - Definitely the biggest
Essendon/Collingwood
I know Hawthorn also has a large presence in SA

WA
Essendon - Definitely the biggest
Carlton
Collingwood

No idea about Tasmania, although Richmond, Hawthorn, Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton seem to have a large presence there.

My Guess:
Tas
Hawthorn
Richmond
Essendon/Carlton/Collingwood

Last edited:
The default answer is Collingwood. And looking at crowds can be misleading because they often reflect the ladder position of the Oppo team. Collingwood’s games are also played on Easter Thursday, a blockbuster slot.

I think up here the big clubs are Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Carlton. Then Richmond. Then other. Swans have plenty too.

Considering formlines, I actually think the Suns / Lions crowds against Essendon are as good as any. Given Essendon haven’t been a factor, they keep delivering strong crowds for the home sides in QLD.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 134916.png
This is one way to look at it attached are the most popular teams on Google in QLD for the 2023 season not including finals. I have not added Collingwood because they are way in front, Carlton and Essendon generate the most interest followed by Geelong, Richmond and Hawthorn.

I think Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton would be the safest guess for every non-Vic state as they have the largest national fanbase.

If I were to guess the largest interstate support, I'd say:

QLD
Essendon
Carlton

NSW
Essendon
Not sure about the third here. My guess would be Carlton or Richmond.

VIC
Sydney - Quite comfortably
Brisbane
West Coast

SA
Carlton - Definitely the biggest
Essendon/Collingwood
I know Hawthorn also has a large presence in SA

WA
Essendon - Definitely the biggest
Carlton
Collingwood

No idea about Tasmania, although Richmond, Hawthorn, Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton seem to have a large presence there.

My Guess:
Tas
Hawthorn
Richmond
Essendon/Carlton/Collingwood
Is there a chance of Adelaide having more supporters than West Coast in Victoria?

Have you seen many Geelong supporters in Queensland?
I know we have a big supporter base in Western Australia thanks to Graham Farmer aka the GOAT.
No idea about Queensland though.

Met a few Geelong fans over the years, they were all ex-pats from Geelong/Melbourne though.
Born and bred Queenslanders are more likely to follow Hawthorn Essendon or Brisbane due to their success over the years, I've found.

Met a few Geelong fans over the years, they were all ex-pats from Geelong/Melbourne though.
Born and bred Queenslanders are more likely to follow Hawthorn Essendon or Brisbane due to their success over the years, I've found.
I'm surprised Hawthorn don't play in Queensland much given the huge support they have across the state.
Would they have more supporters in Queensland than Collingwood?

I'm surprised Hawthorn don't play in Queensland much given the huge support they have across the state.

Not Collingwood level but plenty in Qld-NT who grew up watching Hawthorns awesome 80s teams on tv go for them.

I agree. They’ve always had huge support in SEQ. They always have strong representation at the GABBA. Perhaps Collingwood aside, I always thought Essendon, Hawthorn and Carlton had the largest latent support up here. Because Essendon and Carlton have been unsuccessful for 20 years, it’s easy to be seduced by the bandwagon numbers that the likes of the Tigers and even the Pies have at Lions / Suns games the last decade. A bit of recency bias. I might be biased of course, however given they haven’t won a final in 20 years (yes - 20 years!!) I’m always quite astounded how many Essendon fans turn up at both Lions / Suns games. For a s..t team, they always fill the stand behind the goals to the top and help the Lions draw one of their bigger crowds for the year, a non holiday / school holiday slot. When they’re successful again, and bring travelling fans from Victoria again, they will be there in even bigger numbers.

I agree. They’ve always had huge support in SEQ. They always have strong representation at the GABBA. Perhaps Collingwood aside, I always thought Essendon, Hawthorn and Carlton had the largest latent support up here. Because Essendon and Carlton have been unsuccessful for 20 years, it’s easy to be seduced by the bandwagon numbers that the likes of the Tigers and even the Pies have at Lions / Suns games the last decade. A bit of recency bias. I might be biased of course, however given they haven’t won a final in 20 years (yes - 20 years!!) I’m always quite astounded how many Essendon fans turn up at both Lions / Suns games. For a s..t team, they always fill the stand behind the goals to the top and help the Lions draw one of their bigger crowds for the year, a non holiday / school holiday slot. When they’re successful again, and bring travelling fans from Victoria again, they will be there in even bigger numbers.
Which club do you think has better representation in Queensland out of West Coast and Adelaide?

Agreed, prior to living in Queensland I was under the assumption that Geelong and Hawthorn had similar supporter numbers in the state.
Hawthorn definitely have a lot more.

Which club do you think has better representation in Queensland out of West Coast and Adelaide?

Agreed, prior to living in Queensland I was under the assumption that Geelong and Hawthorn had similar supporter numbers in the state.
Hawthorn definitely have a lot more.
Hard to know, pretty even I’d say. Of the interstates, the Swans always impressed me with their numbers too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back