Carlton or Richmond. Which club has more supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Taper

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2023
AFL Club
Geelong
Carlton getting 92k to a final tonight against a NSW team reminded me of when Richmond got 95k to a final against a NSW team in 2017.
Huge supporter base that's been lying dormant for a long time, with a taste of finals success reminding everyone how big their fan base is.

Which club do you think has more supporters?
Some will say Carlton easily and others will say Richmond easily, but I feel the gap between them isn't that big.
Richmond have got over a million people through the gate seven times to Carlton's six.

Carlton getting 92k to a final tonight against a NSW team reminded me of when Richmond got 95k to a final against a NSW team in 2017.
Huge supporter base that's been lying dormant for a long time, with a taste of finals success reminding everyone how big their fan base is.

Which club do you think has more supporters?
Some will say Carlton easily and others will say Richmond easily, but I feel the gap between them isn't that big.
Richmond have got over a million people through the gate seven times to Carlton's six.
you answered your own question its close, Richmond just at the moment, it might be Carlton next year, history shows that whichever of the big 4 is doing well usually has the biggest crowds, thats why they're the big 4.

Collingwood v Carlton GF would be awesome, been a while since we had 2 big 4 teams in the GF.

Richmond have more NZ expats and the like which may give them the edge at the moment in terms of active fans, but Blues will take the lead over the next few years.

Both clearly in the ‘big 4’ as it’s called for a reason as far as support for sides in Victoria goes. Big gap to a couple of others than another big gap to the rest. But who cares? I’d happily be the Baggers only supporter if it meant a flag every year.

Anyway, Collingwood are probably the biggest in terms of overall ‘supporters’ but it’s all much of a muchness between the ‘4 when you throw membership revenue etc through the wash.

Richmond because we didn't need to sell our home games to docklands

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were recent years when even my cats had more members than both these clubs.
That should never happen but did. Large in number but shows they aren’t that passionate unless winning, unlike more loyal fan bases in pies and Bombers.

Since covid there has only been 2 clubs not to increase memberships. They are Hawks and of course Richmond.

Noone Cares GIF by Ryan The Creative

That should never happen but did. Large in number but shows they aren’t that passionate unless winning, unlike more loyal fan bases in pies

We haven't been winning since 2020 yet have kept 100k+ members since we were the first AFL club to 100k. so it doesn't make sense what you said.

Victorian wise

1 - Collingwood
2 - Essendon
3 - Carlton
4 - Richmond

Throw in WCE because they are most likely number 1 or 2.
West Coast?
How many supporters do they have outside WA?
No doubt most Victorian clubs would outnumber West Coast in every other state and territory when it comes to supporter numbers.

West Coast?
How many supporters do they have outside WA?
No doubt most Victorian clubs would outnumber West Coast in every other state and territory when it comes to supporter numbers.

Victoria has a population of roughly 6.5m. Divide that into 10 teams

WA has a population of roughly 2.6m.
Divide that into 2 teams.

Both are AFL states.

I know the big 4 Vic clubs are well supported interstate, but so are WCE.

Indeed but i always considered the Tigers to be the junior member of the big four.:D
Well you guys did have a head start, so thats a fair comment.

flags won since we joined the AFL in 1908
Carlton 14
Essendon 14
Collingwood 13
Richmond 13

54 flags and 60 runners up between us in the last 114 years is a pretty big representation

Supporter numbers are close depending on where we all sit on the ladder and we are all now in the top tier for wealth.

The more big 4 teams in finals the better IMO, big noisy crowds the old rivalries amongst supporters, you just cant beat it.

Victoria has a population of roughly 6.5m. Divide that into 10 teams

WA has a population of roughly 2.6m.
Divide that into 2 teams.

Both are AFL states.

I know the big 4 Vic clubs are well supported interstate, but so are WCE.
WCE are really the big 1 in a way right up there with supporter numbers and cash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back