Strategy Stories from Recruiters

Remove this Banner Ad

Two interstate recruiters apparently texted each other after the 2013 draft, laughing at the Dogs who drafted Bont at pick 4.

Apparently they were of the opinion that he could have been getable in the low 20s.

Probably an indication of how said interstate clubs have performed in recent years.

I remember Hinkley being asked if they were considering the Bont at (14?) I think that year and Ken laughed and said no he won't be there. Not sure about this story..

Going back a little way, the Bulldogs signed Ilija Grgic because he turned up at the club asking where he could get size 15 footy boots then someone watched him play shortly afterwards.

It's pretty well known around Freo that Phil Smart was the head Freo recruiter in 2009 and was very very keen on Fyfe at pick 20. Mark Harvey wanted to overrule him and draft Ryan Bastinac instead, and Smart said he would quit if they went Bastinac over Fyfe
thats why you listen to recruiters and not coaches when it comes to the draft

And so there should have been. I was livid when this happened. And 2 years on I am still a little angry about it.

I love Brett Anderson reaction on the SEN Coverage he was like WTF? when they called Doedee

Two interstate recruiters apparently texted each other after the 2013 draft, laughing at the Dogs who drafted Bont at pick 4.

Apparently they were of the opinion that he could have been getable in the low 20s.

Probably an indication of how said interstate clubs have performed in recent years.
I call this fabricated lie. Brisbane had Bont earmarked for their pick if he lasted and Gold Coast also had him in the top five and were not expecting him to get to their pick. Not sure who these so called interstate teams are but I guess in a national competition all Vic based clubs are interstate clubs if you live in WA or SA or anywhere other than Victoria.

It's pretty well known around Freo that Phil Smart was the head Freo recruiter in 2009 and was very very keen on Fyfe at pick 20. Mark Harvey wanted to overrule him and draft Ryan Bastinac instead, and Smart said he would quit if they went Bastinac over Fyfe
Smart always tell the stories where he got it right.?Never says a word on stuff ups unless it's somebody else's. Prime example when he wanted Glass over Brown but was overruled. Not a team player

I call this fabricated lie. Brisbane had Bont earmarked for their pick if he lasted and Gold Coast also had him in the top five and were not expecting him to get to their pick. Not sure who these so called interstate teams are but I guess in a national competition all Vic based clubs are interstate clubs if you live in WA or SA or anywhere other than Victoria.

Collingwood was super Keen and was a Big Reason we Traded from 11 to 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still don't see how people are so certain that a teenager will be a star.
When Teenagers are playing state league (among half an AFL list) and dominating, its not farfetched.

Jy Simpkin did a preseason at Melbourne doing match practice as a 16-17 yr old and Roos said he was often the best one out there and that he would've played him round 1 as a 17 year old.

Not saying Simpkins a star but pretty strong opinion from Roos that you can spot a good player at a young age.

Last edited:
Ahh, what could have been.

Going back a little way, the Bulldogs signed Ilija Grgic because he turned up at the club asking where he could get size 15 footy boots then someone watched him play shortly afterwards.

Going back even a little further, the Sainters recruited bush ruckman Greg Dax primarily because they were super impressed that he won the King of The Mountain 3 years running.

The King of The Mountain is where contestants carry a 70kg sack of wheat up a hill in Wycheproof.

True story.

1523309_1576471885904254_7623918821489343327_o.jpg

Similar scenes when they chose Doedee over Burton
I was at that draft and excited Burton was still on the board when it came to our pick. I follow the draft reasonably closely but like everyone else in the room was stunned when we overlooked the local super talented Burton for a name I hadn't heard.

If we wanted Doedee we should have dropped the 38th player on our list, taken Burton with 19 and then Doedee a earlier than he should have gone with pick 37.

Doedee's career will forever be compared to Burton's just like Watts is compared to NicNat!

I was one of the few that didn't disagree with Dangerfield.

I was at that draft and excited Burton was still on the board when it came to our pick. I follow the draft reasonably closely but like everyone else in the room was stunned when we overlooked the local super talented Burton for a name I hadn't heard.

If we wanted Doedee we should have dropped the 38th player on our list, taken Burton with 19 and then Doedee a earlier than he should have gone with pick 37.

Doedee's career will forever be compared to Burton's just like Watts is compared to NicNat!

I was one of the few that didn't disagree with Dangerfield.
I'll be 21 this year and ready to play ;)
196744_5cd880d30809423c3ec33993e358d17c.jpg

Going back even a little further, the Sainters recruited bush ruckman Greg Dax primarily because they were super impressed that he won the King of The Mountain 3 years running.

The King of The Mountain is where contestants carry a 70kg sack of wheat up a hill in Wycheproof.

True story.

1523309_1576471885904254_7623918821489343327_o.jpg
Fun fact, that’s the smallest registered mountain in the world at less than 150MASL and 50m above the surrounding area.

Francis Jackson was confident he'd found a true gem and in a effort to not draw attention to him Francis "hid" while watching at the games he played. He had to keep this player secret.

That gem?..
Matt Dea...

Francis Jackson was confident he'd found a true gem and in a effort to not draw attention to him Francis "hid" while watching at the games he played. He had to keep this player secret.

That gem?..
Matt Dea...
He has been hiding behind tree's ever since then

Tiger supporters have been looking for him with pitch forks

Another Bont story is the bulldogs were only interested in him because rumours came out Collingwood was into him.

That’s only really mentioned by Collingwood supporters though. Highly unlikely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back