Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel so flat about today’s announcement. The community needs one leader to gather around, I’m certain Swallow had it in him. Two Captains for a footy team. What a slap in the face to both Swallow and Witts. In my circles and just now on the local radio it’s being received in a similar way.
Not a good day in my books Coach Dew.
I bet he feels he doesn’t need to have a Co-Head Coach.

Co-Captains are being a theme now. Suns obviously believe its a model that works for them. heck Sydney has THREE captains. Melbourne, Crows. and Port now have co-captains. It's a lot to put on one person. Sometimes sharing the load does help. Time will tell. But probably the best co-captain duo since the start of the club.

“Touk is the future captain in my eyes” - Swallow. Great to hear, although it should’ve been swallow cap, Miller vice today. Has there ever been a ruckman captain in the history of the game? I just can’t fathom it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gotta love the negative spin the afl media can throw on something in just a few words.
Suns Shock: Former Pie co-captain, ex-cat a leader.
Not sure 2/3 in the running makes for a shock. Suns had co-captains for the last couple of years and Dew did his learning at a club renowned for multiple captains.

An unbiased media may have given us;
Suns first #1 rises to captaincy.
Too much to ask?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think why people think its shocking is because it was the expectation it would be Miller, rather than Witts. Other than that, I don't know why it would be shocking. He was always a chance.
Witts captained us last year in a game or 2. The match committee & playing group like what they see and they're the best judges.

Co-Captains are being a theme now. Suns obviously believe its a model that works for them. heck Sydney has THREE captains. Melbourne, Crows. and Port now have co-captains. It's a lot to put on one person. Sometimes sharing the load does help. Time will tell. But probably the best co-captain duo since the start of the club.
I think 2 captains is the norm these days, with soo many media and corporate events (and Dave with a new kid at home) I think it pays to share the load off the field as well. Can remember when my boy was born and I didn’t have time to scratch my ass, let alone play good footy, captain and media commitments.

Miller would have been a huge reach. He's just too young and not ready yet. We would potentially (and likely) completely stalling his development having him as a co-Captain. He will get there eventually, as will Bowes. But there just just no rush with these guys.

The days of a Captain being an extension of the Coach just on the field and leading his troops across the white line are long gone. On top of that the Skipper now has to attend a bevy of meetings with the various Coaches and even board members to report how they think things are going with the club as a whole. They speak to sponsors, speak at events, attend marketing events/promos and a whole bunch of other off-field things. All of this is ignoring the general media responsibilities they have to do week-to-week after performances and in the build up.

So I say if you can split that responsibility with a co-Captain sensibly then it seems like a no brainer. I would only give the sole Captaincy to someone that is extremely experienced with leadership and knows the ins and outs of the role quite well, but more than that, can balance the extremely busy off-field schedule they have with the on-field duties like leading, playing well and recovering. In some regards I feel like Lynch and May failed in that regard, with their on field performances slipping after that got the co-captain roles. Swallow and Witts are older so hopefully can get this balance better.

“Touk is the future captain in my eyes” - Swallow. Great to hear, although it should’ve been swallow cap, Miller vice today. Has there ever been a ruckman captain in the history of the game? I just can’t fathom it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wasn't Matty Primus Captain?

Position should have absolutely no bearing on your ability to be a skipper. You could play back pocket for all I care. If you can do the job then go for it.

We dominated a team for 60 minutes and they give us 90 seconds of footage? What the ****. Just give us the entire raw 20min periods! It would take no effort at all. Compared to cutting everything up like they did with a beat in the background.
Yep, disappointing. Even Lions showed 4 min, all goals and from top level. I wanted to see Rankine magic moment again :)

Wasn't Matty Primus Captain?

Position should have absolutely no bearing on your ability to be a skipper. You could play back pocket for all I care. If you can do the job then go for it.
I agree. It doesn't matter if you're a ruckman, midfielder, defender. Its about who you are not the position you play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miller would have been a huge reach. He's just too young and not ready yet. We would potentially (and likely) completely stalling his development having him as a co-Captain. He will get there eventually, as will Bowes. But there just just no rush with these guys.

The days of a Captain being an extension of the Coach just on the field and leading his troops across the white line are long gone. On top of that the Skipper now has to attend a bevy of meetings with the various Coaches and even board members to report how they think things are going with the club as a whole. They speak to sponsors, speak at events, attend marketing events/promos and a whole bunch of other off-field things. All of this is ignoring the general media responsibilities they have to do week-to-week after performances and in the build up.

So I say if you can split that responsibility with a co-Captain sensibly then it seems like a no brainer. I would only give the sole Captaincy to someone that is extremely experienced with leadership and knows the ins and outs of the role quite well, but more than that, can balance the extremely busy off-field schedule they have with the on-field duties like leading, playing well and recovering. In some regards I feel like Lynch and May failed in that regard, with their on field performances slipping after that got the co-captain roles. Swallow and Witts are older so hopefully can get this balance better.

There’s no need Sunny to push your point by describing those amongst us (principally me) of a different viewpoint as “no brainer”.
I would never describe you that way.

There’s no need Sunny to push your point by describing those amongst us (principally me) of a different viewpoint as “no brainer”.
I would never describe you that way.
Apologies; I didn't mean to push it in that regard. It just makes sense in my own opinion.

We can just agree to disagree. :)

We dominated a team for 60 minutes and they give us 90 seconds of footage? What the ****. Just give us the entire raw 20min periods! It would take no effort at all. Compared to cutting everything up like they did with a beat in the background.
I'd even be happy with ten minutes of "uptown top Izak Rankine" :cool:
Artists these days. Nah pop no style.

Yep, disappointing. Even Lions showed 4 min, all goals and from top level. I wanted to see Rankine magic moment again :)
4 mins? I saw a 2:11 video on their website - you got some extra footage hidden somewhere?

It’s just refreshing to have a couple of guys that can actually speak in front of the camera. Lynch was so poor in the way he spoke, I think mainly May was the man doing the talking. These 2 couldn’t be further from that. Witts has his head screwed on..

I didn't think they spoke that well in their address to the playing group after being announced by Stewy..
I'm pretty sure neither of them said thank you to the playing group or coaching staff for having faith in them.

I didn't think they spoke that well in their address to the playing group after being announced by Stewy..
I'm pretty sure neither of them said thank you to the playing group or coaching staff for having faith in them.
Agree, Dave umm needs some umm public speaking lessons but is all heart :)

Touk is a standout in his public speaking

To be honest all that public speaking means nothing. Important thing is that they are committed and boys are behind them. May was great speaker too but s**t captain.
Not sure it means nothing, the Captain is the face of the club and a direct reflection of it. It’s fair to say our public perception is not great. I agree that their commitment and the boys being behind them is more important than what those outside the club think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back