Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm an Eagles supporter. On our board we have had a very popular and long running thread on the above topic. I am wondering if there is any feeling in your club about how us 'interstate' supporters get pretty much ignored by the supposedly national broadcasters.

There are many many issues that this raises - a few being the blatant ignorance of nonVic teams or issues, travel, MCG fixturing etc etc. But I am wondering whether all the nonVic supporters need to make a noise to redress this.

Comments?

For sure. Especially when we look at FTA games (Channel 10 did a great job but it has dropped off since then)

2011- 5 games on Channel 10 and 2 games on Channel Seven
2012- 2 Games on Channel Seven
2013- 5 games on Channel Seven
2014- 6 games on Channel Seven
2015- 2 games on Channel Seven
2016- 3 games on Channel Seven
2018- 1 game on Channel Seven
2019- ZERO games on Channel Seven
2020- 3 games on Channel Seven
2021- 2 games on Channel Seven

It's just the little things that really piss me off.

So much talk about Max King's poor goal kicking, however, I am yet to hear any commentator to say.. His identical twin brother playing up at the gold coast is an excellent shot for goal. 32 goals 14 behinds in 2021.

It's just out of sight, out of mind.

It's just the little things that really piss me off.

So much talk about Max King's poor goal kicking, however, I am yet to hear any commentator to say.. His identical twin brother playing up at the gold coast is an excellent shot for goal. 32 goals 14 behinds in 2021.

It's just out of sight, out of mind.

I agree - but it is more than just the little things. With the 'national' commentators based in Melbourne (and even worse if they call from Melb) then they have less knowledge of the issues facing the nonVics. Thus the issues aren't raised - or at best are just skimmed over - then the AFL doesn't have to address the bias.

It is one thing to have a poor commentary or lack of FTA broadcasts, but there are issues that affect the performance of nonVic sides - and that's were I think things need addressing.

For example: Rich has a GF on their home ground after playing 13(?) games there - incl last seven - but some teams only have one game there.
For example: Gil has a midweek 'coaches dinner' but only Vic coaches attend (and any nonVic only just because they were in Melb for other things).
For example: travel - Matthew Pavlich played 353 games and travelled 861K kms; Kade Simpson played 342 and travelled 121K km. But noone talks about the disadvantages of travel except it seems when the Vic sides travel (seemingly it is further from Melb to GC than it is from GC to Melb).

Etc etc etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just clearing room for Clarkson to come be Dews senior assistant clearly
I’m beginning to think Clarkson has run out of steam, he doesn’t have the cattle at Hawthorn at the moment but I think while he is / was a great coach he was blessed with some super talented players over his career

I’m beginning to think Clarkson has run out of steam, he doesn’t have the cattle at Hawthorn at the moment but I think while he is / was a great coach he was blessed with some super talented players over his career
He also got every inch out of those players and that is a real skill.

Worpel @ 45
Hardiwck @ 44
Sicily @ 56
Hill @ 33
Bruest @ rookie draft
Puopolol @ 66
Stratton @ 46
Duryea @ 69
Suckling @ rookie draft
Shiels @ 34
Cyril @ 12

Mitch Thorp just about the only Hawk I can think of that has truly underperformed

He also got every inch out of those players and that is a real skill.

Worpel @ 45
Hardiwck @ 44
Sicily @ 56
Hill @ 33
Bruest @ rookie draft
Puopolol @ 66
Stratton @ 46
Duryea @ 69
Suckling @ rookie draft
Shiels @ 34
Cyril @ 12

Mitch Thorp just about the only Hawk I can think of that has truly underperformed
Xavier Ellis pick 3 was also a disappointment

GOLD Coast has started talks to extend the contract of former No.11 draft pick Sam Flanders.

The highly rated youngster is in the final season of his initial two-year draft contract with the club and was seen as a future target for clubs in his native Victoria.

However, after Flanders had spent the first 18 months at the Suns assessing the club's direction, his management – Hemisphere Management – has entered into negotiations on a new deal.

Talks on a fresh contract are expected to ramp up in coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back