Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
740f74d9837facd1b8d89f836dedb373.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good news on that front.

So when does it become okay to be critical of a player? This is Luko's third year in the league and he's almost racked up 50 AFL games (47 to date). How much longer can you use the young/inexperienced excuse to protect a guy like him from criticism? They certainly weren't criticising Ben King's endeavour and that's because Kingy very obviously wants the ball any time it goes near him and gets very animated whenever he kicks goal. His desire to get the ball, kick goals and win games is visually clear to anyone who watches Suns games.

Maybe they're wrong and maybe Luko is desperate to get the ball/win but you have to admit he does look very casual on field at times. Compare the way Luko goes after the ball to another winger like Brandon Ellis and it's pretty obvious which player is absolutely desperate to get the ball and which one thinks he's just going to get the ball eventually. It sort of reminds me of Jack Martin - prodigious junior who was predicted to be a generational talent but only occasionally shows flashes of brilliance and seems very casual when he plays.

I'll give you Noah Anderson though. Only played 25 games and has moved from the wing to playing probably the most difficult position on field as an onballer. It takes at least a few years to learn the craft for 99% of players and then you start to see them really dominate games regularly i.e. Hugh McCluggage this year.
McCluggage was very good in his first 2 years and nominated in the squad of 40 for All Australian in years 3 and 4.

This year he’s a Brownlow favourite and certain All Australian selection.

Anderson has been good, but he’s not in the same class as McCluggage.

McCluggage was very good in his first 2 years and nominated in the squad of 40 for All Australian in years 3 and 4.

Is that comparing Noah's current year with McCluggage in his fifth?

I reckon there's a fair argument that Noah's second year is tracking better than Hugh's second.

Hugh would struggle in our side. Nando will be better.

same age, he's ahead in pretty much everything but goals and behinds

So when does it become okay to be critical of a player? This is Luko's third year in the league and he's almost racked up 50 AFL games (47 to date). How much longer can you use the young/inexperienced excuse to protect a guy like him from criticism? They certainly weren't criticising Ben King's endeavour and that's because Kingy very obviously wants the ball any time it goes near him and gets very animated whenever he kicks goal. His desire to get the ball, kick goals and win games is visually clear to anyone who watches Suns games.

Maybe they're wrong and maybe Luko is desperate to get the ball/win but you have to admit he does look very casual on field at times. Compare the way Luko goes after the ball to another winger like Brandon Ellis and it's pretty obvious which player is absolutely desperate to get the ball and which one thinks he's just going to get the ball eventually. It sort of reminds me of Jack Martin - prodigious junior who was predicted to be a generational talent but only occasionally shows flashes of brilliance and seems very casual when he plays.

I'll give you Noah Anderson though. Only played 25 games and has moved from the wing to playing probably the most difficult position on field as an onballer. It takes at least a few years to learn the craft for 99% of players and then you start to see them really dominate games regularly i.e. Hugh McCluggage this year.
If you look around the league, not many kids are staring in their third year. Walsh and Butters are the exception.

If you go back to the 2016 draft, only Taranto really stared in his third year. A few more players came through last year like Jordan Ridley at Essendon, and a few more this year like Jye Simpkin at North.

At the Lions, our 2017 draftees are only really hitting their straps this year, and we really haven’t seen much from our 2018 draftees.

On the AFL Exchange podcast they pointed out that the Suns do lack a lot of senior experienced players, and more kids are being asked to step up than any other team in the league.

Last edited:
If you look around the league, not many kids are staring in their third year. Walsh and Butters are the exception.

If you go back to the 2016 draft, only Taranto really stare in his third year. A few more players came through last year like Jordan Ridley at Essendon, and a few more this year like Jye Simpkin at North.

At the Lions, our 2017 draftees are only really hitting their straps this year, and we really haven’t seen much from our 2018 draftees.

On the AFL Exchange podcast they pointed out that the Suns do lack a lot of senior experienced players, and more kids are being asked to step up than any other team in the league.
Brisbane got a good reserve team compare to GCS ,
average academy players add under age academy players = VFL poo . Murdoch , GHS , Corey Ellis , Townsend all wasted list spot, Total failure . Lyons also don't want to play reserve with GCS and cross over to Brisbane .

Bit of noise on Twitter about Ben eventually moving to the Saints. Hope it’s not true but the Saint are apparently “ very confident”
Yeah, you should see the 10 page thread on the Saints board dedicated to Ben.

Ben was always going to move to the Saints, this will go alongside the likes of getting rid of Lyons for free as really silly list management changes.

Bit of noise on Twitter about Ben eventually moving to the Saints. Hope it’s not true but the Saint are apparently “ very confident”
They where "very confident" he was going to move there at the end of last year too. I saw a post saying someone was told by Ben Kings family that he would be a saint in 2021. Remember all the North posters telling us Dave was going to play for North with his brother for years? Until it happens I wouldn't stress about it

I don’t understand why Ben would entertain being second fiddle to his brother, I hope it’s all a Vic media wankfest
Everytime we have some heavy losses Iva the inevitable occurs in Victoria. I’m not worried about any player leaving unconditionally- it’s these non competitive losses against better teams that worries me. We need to keep improving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1621508944034.png

#bringbackthewave

An Australian Football jumper is more than just a piece of clothing. The fabric of the guernsey runs deeper than the 22 men or women wearing it on the field. It represents all that has come before them, it represents the fans, the members, and the community that a Football Club plays for.

The Gold Coast wore a unique away guernsey between 2011 and 2013 known as 'The Wave'. It was our special jumper. A jumper design we could call our own. It was special. It was unique. It was OURS. It became a league favourite amongst the wider football community and it was a jumper design that our supporters, 'The Suns Army' adored.

Fore unbeknown reasons, following the 2013 season the jumper was scrapped although it did return as a warm up top design in 2015. The wave means so much to Gold Coast supporters, members and the community. It was the jumper worn in our inaugural win over Port Adelaide in 2011 and was also worn in the magical come from behind after the siren win over Richmond at Cazaly's Stadium in Cairns. How good would it be to see the wave return?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back