Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

apart from the COVID-affected 2020 season, look at how little the tigers travelled end of year ... that really aided their late season runs
Stating obvious but all Vic club travel little from Melbourne unless they sold home games like Hawks, North but still nowhere near as interstate.

Stating obvious but all Vic club travel little from Melbourne unless they sold home games like Hawks, North but still nowhere near as interstate.
Iirc, the tigers had 7 weeks in a row at the G prior to finals in one premiership year ... really tasty

Suns release a new season pump up vid.

Click it.

It’s got all the exciting highlights and players I want to see. Luko kicks a 75m bomb. Humphrey with the post goal celebration, winding up the Dogs crowd. Rowell with the goal line smother. Some good tackles. Commentators are giving us compliments.

Then a Suns parachute flying in the sky, a shot of the GC skyline at night and close ups of passionate fans at The Bank.

Great ad for footy in this city.

Through it all is Nelly’s “It’s hot in here”. Not the best music choice, but is thematic. Can’t complain. At least it’s catchy. (And it has been hot lately, so can’t argue with that!)

The hype is real.

Get to the end of video, and waiting there is the new slogan: Game on.

Ok.

And just below it… “Challenge Accepted”.

Well, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…

Last edited:
Suns release a new season pump up vid.

Click it.

It’s got all the exciting highlights and players I want to see. Luko kicks a 75m bomb. Humphrey with the post goal celebration, winding up the Dogs crowd. Rowell with the goal line smother. Some good tackles. Commentators are giving us compliments.

Then a Suns parachute flying in the sky, a shot of the GC skyline at night and close ups of passionate fans at The Bank.

Great ad for footy in this city.

Through it all is Nelly’s “It’s hot in here”. Not the best music choice, but is thematic. Can’t complain. At least it’s catchy. (And it has been hot lately, so can’t argue with that!)

The hype is real.

Get to the end of video, and waiting there is the new slogan: Game on.

Ok.

And just below it… “Challenge Accepted”.

Well, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…

If nothing else it's now a sub tagline?

Maybe they are just slowly phasing it out. Would love something fresh though for the Dimma era.

Challenge Accepted is remnant of the Dew era for me. Time to move on.
That is my hope, It's just too easily memeable when we drop the bundle.
If we win enough games to make finals the club slogan could be "my nose is full of snot" and we would be fine with it.
Much to my chagrin, That is technically correct. Which as has been established is the best kind of correct.

"Shaun Grigg and 'Dimma' really value setting the ground up, that perimeter. Whether we've got the ball and trying to open up pockets of space, or whether they've got the ball and we're setting up (defensively) behind our attack."

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's possible that Dimma has done a Chuck Daly here and could have purposely played these two pre-season games in a way where we were virtually guaranteed to look bad. We know Dimma has been looking into basketball lately with his comments about the Toronto Raptors so I don't think it's that farfetched.

I mean this with the highest level of respect...
1709686485287.png

It may have only been a pre-season game but Gold Coast midfielder Matt Rowell took last week’s 44-point drubbing at the hands of Greater Western Sydney personally.
The 22-year-old was left “frustrated” and “disappointed” after the Suns were “beaten in our strengths around the ball” and admitted there were still areas of their game that needed tinkering ahead of Saturday’s Opening Round clash with Richmond.

A proud footballer who hates being beaten at his bread and butter, Rowell said he and the midfield group were eager to bounce back after an off day against the Giants.

“As a group we’re really good at it so we don’t like when we’re beaten there (at stoppage) and I played a part in that,” Rowell said.

“It’s never great being beaten in that phase of the game. But that’s footy. We have a game this week where we can rectify it.

“I always want to make sure I’m doing my role for the team. If I don’t put my best foot forward then I’m letting down my teammates. That’s what drives me … that’s what irks me when I don’t play my role, is that it lets the team down.”

Rowell said new coach Damien Hardwick was quick to put things into perspective for his group, which is still learning the master coach’s complex system.

“Dimma is great at that – it was all positive (feedback). He sent out a few messages on the weekend too with some key messages he wanted us to implement.

“Maybe we went a bit too far with some of our fast ball movement, but there’s a lot of growth there that’s the main thing.”

“Like a lot of systems it’s one where you’re only going to get better at it the more reps you do. I think you’ll see us play better footy as the season goes on.

“We want to win games early. There’s no excuses with that. But with this new system it will take the boys some time getting adjusted to it.”

Last season Rowell reminded the footy world how good of a player he really is.

A competitive beast who in previous years was questioned for his lack of ‘easy’ touches, the narrative around the former No. 1 draft pick began to shift in 2023 when he began dominating at stoppage.

Rowell led the league in tackles and set a new season benchmark with 190 in 23 games. He also finished second in clearances, behind only Brownlow Medallist Lachie Neale.

Before Christmas Rowell revealed he had employed a sprint coach to add a new attacking layer to his game by bolstering his explosiveness and top-end speed.

But those around him have called on the midfield bull to simply keep doing what he is doing.

“That bloke has had media say a million different things about where he’s at and how he’s doing, but what it comes down to is he works bloody hard,” Suns skipper Touk Miller said of Rowell.

“I haven’t come across too many blokes who work as hard on their craft and are as detailed in what they want to get out of their career.

“For me, I feel like he gets scrutinised about what he can’t do, but what he can do is his strength inside the bubble is unbelievable.

“His ability to absorb a couple of tacklers and feed to blokes like myself on the outside … he was leading the tackle count by an obscene amount last year. It just shows his real want for the contest.

“What he does, his craft work in side, is really second-to-none.”

New midfield coach Shaun Grigg echoed the skipper’s sentiments. He said any added weapons to Rowell’s game would be a bonus, because what he already does so well was “bloody valuable for us”.

“He has that speed now, it’s about getting him in positions to use it,” Grigg said.

“(But) first and foremost he’s a contest player for us. The way he wins that hard ball and hunts the opposition is what he’s in the team to do.

“We can’t take that for granted as coaches. What he does is hard and it’s valuable for us.”

Okay, What would you recommend for a Suns-related sound effect that's intimidating?

Let me think on it, but first thing that comes to mind is a burning crackling fireball sound effect for a start that shoots around the stadium..

Last edited:
Alex Rance was on Schofield's podcast BackChat this week. Some great insides.

Last edited:
Let me think on it, but first thing that comes to mind is a burning crackling fireball sound effect for a start that shoots around the stadium..

Something like this would be cool but obviously much louder with a burning/crackling sound

I mean this with the highest level of respect...
View attachment 1920759
To be fair, it was in response to someone else's theory that Dimma may have not trying 100% to win the pre-season games and I just provided a real example where that happened with NBA players/coaches. FWIW I thought we were pretty poor in our pre-season games this year, but I'm trying to work out if the high quality opposition made us look worse than we are or if we really do have that much work to do to get it right from here. Saturday against a weaker Tigers side should be telling.

Start by ******* the trumpet off and get some intimidating sound effects like every other team does…
The Lions have a roar followed by a clip of an individual song chosen by the player that kicked the goal and the Lions fans absolutely love it. This is where the famous Charlie Cameron - Country Road situation originated from. Why can't we do something like that? I'm guessing there would be less hatred towards the trumpet sound if it was immediately followed by a song chosen by the player and the whole crowd could get into it. Or just change the trumpet sound to a sun/fire related sound. Either way, I think we're missing the boat on not playing music after each goal.

The Lions have a roar followed by a clip of an individual song chosen by the player that kicked the goal and the Lions fans absolutely love it. This is where the famous Charlie Cameron - Country Road situation originated from. Why can't we do something like that? I'm guessing there would be less hatred towards the trumpet sound if it was immediately followed by a song chosen by the player and the whole crowd could get into it. Or just change the trumpet sound to a sun/fire related sound. Either way, I think we're missing the boat on not playing music after each goal.
Historically, we don’t kick enough goals to really have to worry about being annoyed by a specific sound…

I actually don’t hate the trumpet. Prefer it to just playing a generic song over the speakers.

But player chosen songs are a bit different, as it builds a bit of culture or crowd participation I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back