Toast Welcome to the SUNS, Sam Clohesy

Remove this Banner Ad

Cal said he was with the suns academy until he was 16 before moving

Looks like he played for Coolangatta between 2016-18 and represented our U16 academy team in that period before going back to Victoria. So I guess he's kind of a Gold Coast product... but not really?

Sam Clohesy watched on with a smile on his face when his Werribee VFL teammate Shaun Mannagh finally earned his AFL shot with Geelong, but there were mixed emotions when the national draft finished.
Despite several clubs showing interest in Clohesy – including the Cats, who are just up the road for the St Joseph’s product – he remained on the board.

The rebounding defender won the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal as the best young player in the VFL after a breakout season, and the award is generally a golden ticket into the AFL.

However, last year’s recipient Ethan Phillips was left undrafted after receiving a state combine invite.

Seeds of doubt started to creep in. Fortunately, Gold Coast came calling late on Tuesday night to settle his nerves.

There was a sense of familiarity when his name was read out by the Suns. Clohesy had been part of the club’s academy for three years as a junior when he and his family lived on the Gold Coast.

The Suns were also the side to inflict VFL grand final heartbreak on Clohesy and Mannagh – but their recruiting team had front-row seats to Clohesy’s promising 22-disposal display.

“Definitely a weird one but I think I’ll be able to get over it pretty quickly as I’m now part of the Suns, so I’ve got to get past it don’t I,” Clohesy said with a laugh.

“It’s a dream come true, I can’t even describe the emotions right now. It’s unbelievable, I can’t imagine anything better in my life.

“I wasn’t banking on the fact that last night was going to be it, because I did know that there’s the rookie draft and there’s always a chance you can get taken, but disappointment was definitely there.

“I found out late last night that it was looking pretty good for me for a Suns rookie pick, obviously nothing is a shoo-in until your name is actually called out so I was still pretty nervous.

“There was a bit of other interest but I didn’t really know what was going to happen last night, but definitely glad of the result now.

“I loved my time up there (on the Gold Coast) and it’s probably one of my favourite places ever and I cannot wait to get back there.”

The story of Clohesy, who turns 21 next month, is much different to 26-year-old Mannagh.

Clohesy has played footy all over the country: Geelong, Gold Coast, Ballarat, north-west Melbourne for the Calder Cannons, the Northern Territory and Werribee.

The 189cm defender had the belief he could make it to the next level, but last year he was a fringe player at Werribee and was playing primarily in the Geelong Football Netball League for St Joseph’s.

Clohesy set about becoming a senior regular at the Tigers this season.

He ended it as the best young player in the competition, showcasing his offensive flair, elite kicking and ability to defend talls and smalls.

Clohesy’s selection by the Suns made it three VFL players taken from the national and rookie drafts, including Mannagh and Northern Bullants bolter Finnbar Maley, with a further six taken in this year’s mid-season draft.

“It changed a lot (in a year) actually and I give full credit to the boys down at Werribee. All I wanted to do at the very start was earn my position and earn trust off my teammates and I was able to do that,” Clohesy said.

“At the back-end of the year I was really able to kind of show everyone what I can do and it paid dividends really well.

“It is a tough gig VFL, it is hard to balance part-time footy with full-time work but hopefully this shows that it is definitely worth sticking with it and playing the highest level of footy that you can.

“No one deserves it more than Shauny. He’s an absolute star, he’s worked so hard for it.

“Obviously at that older age it is so good to see him get that opportunity and there’s no doubt he will show everyone what he’s made of.”

Clohesy also has plenty of love for St Joseph’s for helping him achieve his AFL dream.

“It’s a club that is always inviting. I spend a lot of time there and they were huge for my development – even at senior footy last year, absolutely huge,” Clohesy.

f58a20a9775417f9fab10192ddd90cd6.jpg

8f2d1ca84726bf548bbce1a1b68dbf33.jpg

2680651aa25b7e9136e4e6613674b856.jpg

Second-chance Clohesy ready to repay Suns faith https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...t/news-story/08b0dcae01d2337dc7675d45d6b813d6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought he was fantastic. Looked like a natural and comfortable at the level in his very first game.Which is never easy to do, even having played VFL previously. It's different levels so there was never any guaranteed how he would handle it.
But this spot on the wing is his from now on, injury or form permitting.

Sam Clohesy is a draft gem

The Suns have had their fair share of top draft picks to use over the years, but nailing a rookie draft pick is a different beast.

Clohesy was taken in the 2023 Rookie Draft and got his debut opportunity against GWS on the weekend, immediately looking at home at the top level.

Playing mostly across half back and the wing, he finished with 22 disposals, 489 metres gained, eight marks and a goal.

What a great way to announce yourself at the top level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if someone can answer this for me but I saw Clohesys birth date as 12/12/02. Is he eligible to win the Rising Star award given he would be 21 years of age at the beginning of this season and had satisfied the criteria of playing under 10 games?

Not sure if someone can answer this for me but I saw Clohesys birth date as 12/12/02. Is he eligible to win the Rising Star award given he would be 21 years of age at the beginning of this season and had satisfied the criteria of playing under 10 games?
I think he may be too old, given unless its changed, you had to be under 21 of the year you debut, and he turned 21 in december.
Rough timing, it seems

"The AFL Rising Star is an annual award presented by the AFL to recognise and celebrate the most outstanding young talent in the league. Eligible players must be under the age of 21 and have played fewer than 10 AFL games at the beginning of the season."

I think he may be too old, given unless its changed, you had to be under 21 of the year you debut, and he turned 21 in december.
Rough timing, it seems

"The AFL Rising Star is an annual award presented by the AFL to recognise and celebrate the most outstanding young talent in the league. Eligible players must be under the age of 21 and have played fewer than 10 AFL games at the beginning of the season."
So I take it had he been born in January a month later, he would have been eligible .

Correct.
Before January 1st.
I reckon he has gone under the radar of the competition a bit purely because he is out of the running for the Rising Star award. Could make a case right now he is in that top 5 players in terms of under 21 years and 1 month . Up there with your: Reids, Sanders, Sam Darcys, Wardlaws, Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back