Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Powell apparently felt hung out to dry by the club, and fair enough, the video they forced him to do was unnecessary and he should have been in a club polo, weak of the club to try and distance themselves from him in that moment imo.

Note* I don’t want to argue about the incident itself

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No empathy when it matters - he's a nice kid. AFL directive probably - the woke police are everywhere.

Jack Lukosius declares intention to stay at Gold Coast after five-goal haul​

“I’m very happy here,” Lukosius declared.

“I’ve got so much I want to achieve in my career and especially here, so I’m happy.”
Lukosius revealed the quick call with Hardwick set his mind at ease after an admittedly “challenging period” of adjusting to a new role he never saw coming.

“We had a short break between games and didn’t train much, so he gave me a call midweek and just said, ‘Sorry mate, I was wrong. I liked what I saw on the weekend, let’s give it another go’. Simple as that.

“It was a challenging period, just with the mindset of it all. I had my mind clearly set on one thing and the goals I wanted to achieve – but that’s footy, it can all change pretty quickly.

“I just had to stay driven and work out a new process that was going to work because I had to keep playing good footy, clearly. That had to happen.
“It’s been a challenging last couple of months but hopefully it will be for the better.”
“I think it shows when we play our best footy we’re going to be pretty hard to stop,” Lukosius said.

“It won’t be 160-odd every week, but I think the style of moving the ball fast through the middle with hands and getting the ball in deep is the style we want to play whether we win kicking 80 points or 160 points.

73b727650db332901db37bbfe93258e6.jpg

Class act
Anyone catch Dimma on 360?

I watched it after you mentioned it, what I came away with is that Robbo is still is a complete moron how he has the job that he’s got is beyond belief.

Dimma is very experienced in dealing with the media and it shines through, he was very complimentary of the team in particular the midfield after Robbo asked him if he felt he had a premiership calibre midfield. Took time to mention the usual suspects and frothed a little bit over Flanders.

Not much else that was new apart from opposition to the mid season draft ( Kingsley was saying the same) as it favours the VIC clubs but he did speak well.

I watched it after you mentioned it, what I came away with is that Robbo is still is a complete moron how he has the job that he’s got is beyond belief.

Dimma is very experienced in dealing with the media and it shines through, he was very complimentary of the team in particular the midfield after Robbo asked him if he felt he had a premiership calibre midfield. Took time to mention the usual suspects and frothed a little bit over Flanders.

Not much else that was new apart from opposition to the mid season draft ( Kingsley was saying the same) as it favours the VIC clubs but he did speak well.
I liked that Dimma put out the call for Suns fans to show up for this game against Carlton. I can't remember any other Suns coach asking our supporters to show up for an away game.

The guys who do On The Couch had us ranked 4th on their form ladder (last 6 games) tonight and had Carlton down in 15th. We were only behind Essendon, Sydney and Collingwood in that regard. Shows how good our recent wins have been and how Carlton have been struggling. Hopefully a good omen for Saturday.

Because the world is petrified of speaking out in its truth. Nobody actually believes the nonsense that goes with this wokeness, but everyone is petrified of being vilified. We’ve lost our backbone. Our Grandfathers died for our freedoms and we’re petrified of writing a comment. 😂

Powell apparently felt hung out to dry by the club, and fair enough, the video they forced him to do was unnecessary and he should have been in a club polo, weak of the club to try and distance themselves from him in that moment imo.

Note* I don’t want to argue about the incident itself

I didn’t write that top comment? What is this?

AFL 2024: Gold Coast Suns spearhead Ben King enjoying career-best season ahead of Curnow, McKay showdown​

Gold Coast is the No. 1 inside 50 team in the competition this year – rarefied air for a side that has only ranked in the top eight for that stat twice in the 18-team era and never as high as fifth.

“Every game that goes by I’m feeling more confident and more connected with the blokes around me and better in this new system as well,” King told this masthead.

Despite topping the Suns’ goalkicking tally, King revealed he was still disappointed by his output last year and set himself for a resurgent campaign under new coach Damien Hardwick.

“Last year I was very up and down,” he said. “In patches I played good footy and in patches I didn’t.

“I had pretty high expectations coming off the knee and probably fell short last year which was challenging, but it’s given me a lot to work on in the off-season, pre-season and throughout this season to build my consistency and confidence.”

“It definitely helps when the mids and backs are moving the ball so well and it’s coming in a lot. I’m lucky in that sense, too,” he said.

“Our whole midfield core has been unbelievable this year … it’s scary to think of what they can get to in the next few years.

“Noah (Anderson) and Rowelly (Matt Rowell) particularly came in and were always highly talented but their work rate is the thing that stands out to everyone, so it’s no great surprise they’re doing so well and improving so rapidly.”

AFL 2024: Gold Coast Suns spearhead Ben King enjoying career-best season ahead of Curnow, McKay showdown​

When they say number one inside 50 team, do they mean most inside 50s, or most efficient going inside 50?

Either way, it’s a nice change. It has been leading to better scoring opportunities and I feel we are slowly becoming a bit more dynamic.

Having solid half-backs (Powell, Jeffrey, Flanders) and mids who can score (Anderson, Swallow, Humphrey), either resting forward or on the run, helps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When they say number one inside 50 team, do they mean most inside 50s, or most efficient going inside 50?

Either way, it’s a nice change. It has been leading to better scoring opportunities and I feel we are slowly becoming a bit more dynamic.

Having solid half-backs (Powell, Jeffrey, Flanders) and mids who can score (Anderson, Swallow, Humphrey), either resting forward or on the run, helps.
Definitely not most efficient by watching our games :) We had 73 inside 50s against Cats which is crazy. Against North 67, Eagles 67.

Last edited:

Most I50

Figured it was. Sheer numbers can win a game I guess.

Think Darwin has inflated our figures somewhat though, but this season has shown that when we are on—we are on.

Unfortunately we only seem to be “on” at home thus far.

What Gold Coast asked for:

The Suns are seeking a broad assessment of all competitive balance aspects and for clubs to have an even opportunity to win premierships.

They believe academies are an essential way of engaging youth and families and to develop talent in a non-traditional market. This is the only advantage expansion teams have in a long list of disadvantages.

Contrary to many Victorian clubs, Gold Coast is adamant academy list rules should be retained for northern clubs, and rules should be adjusted to allow other clubs better access to players in their NGA's.

The club wants travel and fixture disadvantages to be addressed by more home-state matches in WA, NSW and Qld through concepts such as Gather Round or for non-Victorian teams to be the "away" team in relocated games. They are also advocating for improved flight and fixture arrangements, especially for longer hauls.

(Also Wil Powell was the player picture they used for GC for literally no reason)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back