Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi Team!

I know we have an esteemed podcast based out of this board already! But just thought I'd share a little something my mate and I are just dipping our toes into. It is pretty amatuerish and isn't a lot of structure, just a couple of mates talking all things Suns. Gives me a good place to vent as well since living in Melbourne doesn't give me a chance to talk Suns too often outside of this board. If you have a spare 30mins and need something to pass the time, feel free to give it a listen. Not promising any expert insight, just some general fun chat. Enjoy!

P.S Also points if you pick up the player reference in the title ;)

Hi Team!

I know we have an esteemed podcast based out of this board already! But just thought I'd share a little something my mate and I are just dipping our toes into. It is pretty amatuerish and isn't a lot of structure, just a couple of mates talking all things Suns. Gives me a good place to vent as well since living in Melbourne doesn't give me a chance to talk Suns too often outside of this board. If you have a spare 30mins and need something to pass the time, feel free to give it a listen. Not promising any expert insight, just some general fun chat. Enjoy!

P.S Also points if you pick up the player reference in the title ;)

Harbrow = Turnover?
;)

Haha more reference to a very early Suns player who had a pension for being as hard as a cats head, but his disposal was questionable at times.

didn’t mind losing a tooth or two in the process either, one of our stick around south Australians too yes? Is he still playing for Southport?

Good article about 2MP at his new club amd a few things about GC.

looks like the Suns still have some work to do with there coaching/teaching with 2MP poking the Suns ever so slightly

534C8F5B-C500-4259-B152-1E2EAE6334FA.jpeg

Would surely be beneficial to Lukosius King Rankine Ainsworth etc if they were getting the right coaching

Good article about 2MP at his new club amd a few things about GC.

looks like the Suns still have some work to do with there coaching/teaching with 2MP poking the Suns ever so slightly

View attachment 1076722

Would surely be beneficial to Lukosius King Rankine Ainsworth etc if they were getting the right coaching

That quote is embarrassing for 2MP. FFS, just show some aggression and mongrel. Crash the pack, run through somebody.

Last edited:
That quote is embarrassing for 2MP. FFS, just show some aggression and mongrel. Crash the pack, run through somebody.
He will be a bigger loss than people realise basically getting rid of him and Crossley for nothing and Smith and Conroy going down has left the ruck/ forward stocks extremely thin, with 49 players this should never be the case. God help us if Witt's or Day go down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will be a bigger loss than people realise basically getting rid of him and Crossley for nothing and Smith and Conroy going down has left the ruck/ forward stocks extremely thin, with 49 players this should never be the case. God help us if Witt's or Day go down.
We should have gone for more depth but Wright wasn't the answer. Would have been the world's most expensive back up player.

We should have gone for more depth but Wright wasn't the answer. Would have been the world's most expensive back up player.
Tbh I think Wright is a pure forward , don't think he likes playing in the ruck, if Essendon use him as a pure forward he could achieve prime Ben Brown results.

Tbh I think Wright is a pure forward , don't think he likes playing in the ruck, if Essendon use him as a pure forward he could achieve prime Ben Brown results.
Disagree, thought he always looked 20x better as a ruckman. He has all the traits to be an elite ruckman with his running power and clean hands and awesome kicking. Even his ruck craft is really good. Just reportedly doesn't want to be a ruck though.

Yes, far from ideal but not disaster in my view. Smith should be back around round 8 and possibly earlier. If Witts goes down, Day and Burgess can go to ruck. Burgess did a good job in the pre-season games. Interestingly, WB played with no ruck in some games in the past. They just put any midfielder there and did OK.

We can play just one tall forward (King) combined with Corbett and Burgess. In emergency, we can get opportunity to Jeffrey who is a great mark or even fill the forward line with Murtagh, Graham, Hombsh.

Crossley was undersized, carried extra weight and struggled with endurance. Not sure what you wanted to get for him. He was a rookie who struggled to get a game. He didn't make the cut and Conroy got an opportunity. Let's see how he goes for Sharks and if any AFL team shows interest. No team touched him in the last year draft. I wish him well but I have doubts he will make it in AFL.

Wright leaving was the combined effect of TPP 1.3M cut and his inability to play aggressive, contested footy. I watched him closely in the pre-season game. He was OK, had some good moments but again there were plenty of plays where I was just shaking my head. After 6 pre-seasons he is still learning finer points of body use - that's a joke.

Most teams would be in a similar situation if their 2nd and 3rd ruck got injured. No team keeps 4 rucks on the list. For example, St. Kilda lost Marshall and Rider and will start round 1 with Hunter who never played AFL and McKernan as backup. If Lions BigO goes down, they got Fullarton and Smith to replace him. IMO, in the pre-season games, Burgess actually won most contests in the ruck against Fullarton. You can go through other teams with similar results.

Last edited:
Is everyone forgetting how bad 2MP was when he played the last few seasons? We constantly moaned about his shortcomings and now people expect him to kill it at essendon?
He is 24 years old, I don't think he has much development left in him. He is still going to be the same player he was here. All players say their new club is the best and that they are going to have their best season yet.

Yes, far from ideal but not disaster in my view. Smith should be back around round 8 and possibly earlier. If Witts goes down, Day and Burgess can go to ruck. Burgess did a good job in the pre-season games. Interestingly, WB played with no ruck in some games in the past. They just put any midfielder there and did OK.

We can play just one tall forward (King) combined with Corbett and Burgess. In emergency, we can get opportunity to Jeffrey who is a great mark or even fill the forward line with Murtagh, Graham, Hombsh.

Crossley was undersized, carried extra weight and struggled with endurance. Not sure what you wanted to get for him. He was a rookie who struggled to get a game. He didn't make the cut and Conroy got an opportunity. Let's see how he goes for Sharks and if any AFL team shows interest. No team touched him in the last year draft. I wish him well but I have doubts he will make it in AFL.

Wright leaving was the combined effect of TPP 1.3M cut and his inability to play aggressive, contested footy. I watched him closely in the pre-season game. He was OK, had some good moments but again there were plenty of plays where I was just shaking my head. After 6 pre-seasons he is still learning finer points of body use - that's a joke.

Most teams would be in a similar situation if their 2nd and 3rd ruck got injured. No team keeps 4 rucks on the list. For example, St. Kilda lost Marshall and Rider and will start round 1 with Hunter who never played AFL and McKernan as backup. If Lions BigO goes down, they got Fullarton and Smith to replace him. IMO, in the pre-season games, Burgess actually won most contests in the ruck against Fullarton. You can go through other teams with similar results.
Agree with most of your points except Murtagh who I believe has no chance to make it, Conroy was Max Gawn compared to him, he can't track the ball in the air. Just think having 49 players on the list we should not have the list gaps in the tall forward / ruck stocks , seems to be too many half backs /C grade mids in our depth

Is everyone forgetting how bad 2MP was when he played the last few seasons? We constantly moaned about his shortcomings and now people expect him to kill it at essendon?
He is 24 years old, I don't think he has much development left in him. He is still going to be the same player he was here. All players say their new club is the best and that they are going to have their best season yet.
He won't be John Coleman but his career goal kicking average is pretty good, they needed to replace him with a least another ruck forward instead of Townsend for depth of nothing else

Agree with most of your points except Murtagh who I believe has no chance to make it, Conroy was Max Gawn compared to him, he can't track the ball in the air. Just think having 49 players on the list we should not have the list gaps in the tall forward / ruck stocks , seems to be too many half backs /C grade mids in our depth
Yeah, as I said Murtagh only in emergency:) Basically, anybody you can bash and crash and put pressure on. I am looking forward to watch him in VFL. He needs to show something otherwise he will be cut. More talls are waiting in academy.

Let's be honest, most teams can't cope with significant number of injuries. So far, we are not in bad shape. If situation gets desperate there is always mid-season draft.

Last edited:
More talls are waiting in academy.
This is something people need to remember. 2021 NAB Academy member Ned Stevens (195cm) is a high quality ruckman coming through our academy this year and another 2021 draft eligible prospect in Will Bella (195cm) has had stints in the ruck throughout his junior career but predominantly plays as a key forward. Medium forward Jye Lockett (190cm) is another one of our academy prospects who is draft eligible this year. It's fair to assume some of these guys will add a few centimetres to their frame by the end of the year to get themselves up to an AFL standard height for their preferred positions.

Our tall stocks will be in a great place going into 2022. The only concern is probably a lack of high quality key defenders but we can address that at the trade table/national draft.

This is something people need to remember. 2021 NAB Academy member Ned Stevens (195cm) is a high quality ruckman coming through our academy this year and another 2021 draft eligible prospect in Will Bella (195cm) has had stints in the ruck throughout his junior career but predominantly plays as a key forward. Medium forward Jye Lockett (190cm) is another one of our academy prospects who is draft eligible this year. It's fair to assume some of these guys will add a few centimetres to their frame by the end of the year to get themselves up to an AFL standard height for their preferred positions.

Our tall stocks will be in a great place going into 2022. The only concern is probably a lack of high quality key defenders but we can address that at the trade table/national draft.
I will be also watching with interest Pickering and Hofert in VFL. It will be interesting decision at the end of season who to let go and how many academy kids to draft.

I can't see SUNS to bring more than 4 academy kids. Two of them are probably Stevens and Harris.

Last edited:

Will watch them with interest in the VFL, think they had hoped for Baldwin but the Bombers stole him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back