Surviving 1935 Jumpers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Does anyone know how many of the famed shrunken 1935 jumpers have made into this century? The only modern photograph I could find is of Robert Sainsbury holding up Wally Kelly's jumper in 2005. I imagine if any do exist they are in private collections.

Footscray 1935 Jumper.png

Does anyone know how many of the famed shrunken 1935 jumpers have made into this century? The only modern photograph I could find is of Robert Sainsbury holding up Wally Kelly's jumper in 2005. I imagine if any do exist they are in private collections.

View attachment 1408734
At a past player's function many years ago - 1980s I think, Alby Morrison, Norm Ware and Alan Hopkins were discussing their playing days (Hopkins had come down from where he was living along the Murray - Yarrawonga?). Someone produced a 1935 Hoadley's cigarette card (one of many 'footy' cards of the 1930s). Either Alby or Norm said they still had their jumper (Hoppy had retired from VFL and was captain-coaching Yarraville in 1935, so never had one). Alby's would have been #1, and Norm's #4. (Alby started 1935 as captain-coach, but after 4 games was replaced by Collingwood legend Syd Coventry.)

This is the 1935 Hoadleys card of Alby Morrison:
1653489045490.png
Although it was merely a re-touched version of his 1934 Hoadleys card to show the new 1935 jumper:
1653489118172.png
Norm Ware's was the same, i.e. re-used the 1934 card with 1935 uniform applied and changed background.

The 1935 set was unusual, in that only 5 teams were represented, instead of the usual 12 - Carlton, Collingwood, Footscray, Richmond and South Melbourne - 20 player cards for each club.

It is the only set to feature the 1935 Footscray jumper.

(Sorry, one of my enduring passions is collecting cigarette and confectionery football cards - they ceased production in 1939, and post WW2 were replaced by cereal companies and others, and then ultimately Scanlens and now Select as the leading manufacturers.)

My grandfather wore number 11 that year for Footscray. Played all 18 games in that jumper. Sadly we do not have the original jumper but do have numerous photos of him wearing it.

My grandfather wore number 11 that year for Footscray. Played all 18 games in that jumper. Sadly we do not have the original jumper but do have numerous photos of him wearing it.
Who was he?

View attachment 1408734
What is the “shrunken” in your post a reference to? Was there a fault they only discovered on the first wash?

Jack Bridgfoot. Played mainly at CHB at 184cm tall (which back then was key position or even ruckman height.) Injuries (knees) got the better of him and he last played in 1937. I think from memory he played 35 games from 1935 to 1937.

Jack Bridgfoot. Played mainly at CHB at 184cm tall (which back then was key position or even ruckman height.) Injuries (knees) got the better of him and he last played in 1937. I think from memory he played 35 games from 1935 to 1937.
Awesome! Good on him!

Given it was his first senior year, was unlucky not to feature in the 1935 Hoadleys cards, as some players who only played 3 or 4 games in 1935 made the set, and it was their first year too.

1935 set was unusual, in that most card sets of the era featured between 1 and 4 players from weaker teams, and up to 9 or 10 from stronger teams. Because there were 100 cards in that set and only 5 teams, they went with 20 from each team, so lots of fringe Footscray players got their one and only shot at fame!

Great you've at least got photos of him wearing the jumper.

Mr. Walker - I think the story was that the club sent the jumpers to be dry-cleaned, or at least washed commercially, but the cleaner shrunk them. This is a photo of a page from "Unleashed" with a note below the photo with the reference. (Original photo is blurry btw, not caused by me.)

Mutt - looks like your grandfather missed this one, but at least he played the entire H&A season, which is more than 1000s of other players achieved.

20220526_154344.jpg

That’s some great historical club connections Mutt. Probably one of the best I’ve seen in here.

Someone needs to start a thread where those with family connections to the club can share their history.

R Spargo, any relation to Melbourne’s Spargo I wonder.
Great grandfather. One of the few families to have 4 generations play VFL/AFL.

Bob Snr in that photo.
Bob Jnr and Ricky in the 60s - sons of Bob Snr.
Paul (North and Brisbane) , son of Bob Jnr.
Charlie at Melbourne is the son of Paul.

Edit: none of them have managed to play 100 games - Bob Jnr and Ricky played at Footscray like their father Bob Snr in the days before the 100 game minimum for father/sons, but Paul didn't qualify in his era, plus being from Ovens and Murray area (where Bob Jnr moved to) he was in North's zone. Charlie had no choice other than to go into the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always liked that jumper
Ricky Spargo was one of my favourites
Unfortunately, we have missed a lot of family members over the years
Ricky Spargo clever and quick rover forward player similar to his brothers Bob grandson Charlie.
Bob was my favourite player early 60s a great centre man.
Always liked that jumper
Ricky Spargo was one of my favourites
Unfortunately, we have missed a lot of family members over the years

I remember having a beer with Bob Spargo (junior) at the Broken Hill St Pats Day races in the 1970s. Nearly fell off the bar stool when I realised who he was.

Mixed fortunes that day. Lost at the races, won at the two up that night. Met Bob Jnr in one of the many drinking holes I visited. Girlfriend was an even bigger punter than me and she was spewing they wouldn’t let women into the two up school so she had to wait outside while I won us a bit of drinking money … gentlemen that I was.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back