News Swans announce partnership with Qatar Airways

Remove this Banner Ad

I am sure, if i could be arsed, to find negative links associated with all afl club and their sponsors.

The sponsorship may even spark dialogue within qatar.

It really is facinating that many western countries take the moral high ground when only two to three generations ago it was "illegal" to be homosexual in places such as Australia and Britain and carried jail terms or forced sterilisation.

Moral rant end.

On the other side, well done swans for getting a big sponsor on board.

Good deal for us. Business is business everyone. We are not turning down $10 million plus just for the sake of it.

Good deal gets the Swans into newer markets overseas and that is critical growing our brand.
Does any Aussie Rules fan seriously believe there's any real potential for growing our game overseas? I don't. (Which is kinda the thing I like best about it.)

The US is the most powerful nation in the world but hardly anyone outside of Americans follow their football.

Does any Aussie Rules fan seriously believe there's any real potential for growing our game overseas? I don't. (Which is kinda the thing I like best about it.)

The US is the most powerful nation in the world but hardly anyone outside of Americans follow their football.

Yeah, I don't think this is going to lead to a surge in the Swans' popularity in Qatar.

Let's look at it for what it is - it gives a foreign airline exposure to a new market, and the club gets the cash.

You could take the moral high ground and refuse to do deals with companies in countries with oppressive regimes, but I'd say that is a tad unrealistic - it hasn't stopped Port getting into bed with China, for instance. Clubs will do deals with anyone if it leads to a mutually beneficial outcome.

The only time I can recall the Swans actually dropping a sponsorship deal was with Tom Waterhouse a few years ago which I could understand given the potential for problem gambling to cause harm. An airline sponsorship I don't think fits in that category.

Saudi Arabia that bad? is it lawless?
Nah not lawless. Just uber strict with really backward laws. Immigrants have to wear burqas, no beer, public punishments to scare others from committing crime and all that sort of crap. They usually play a big part in lot of the Middle Eastern conflict too.

Qatar is far better in that respect - a lot more like Dubai. No one seems to care about Emirates sponsoring the Magpies, so I don't think you guys should feel guilty. As many a great man (or woman) has said, "Haters gonna hate"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, so intersex is gone, what's the asterisk for?

Basically an "etc". If you want to include every sexuality, identity, etc, that tends to have a shared interest in this sort of advocacy, you end up with very, very long acronyms. "Queer" is considered by some to be a catch-all, but not everybody under the umbrella likes the term, or identifies with it. So putting an asterisk at the end is just a little way of acknowledging all that and being that teeny bit more inclusive to those who haven't been explicitly included in the acronym. Some people do it, others don't, I sometimes do it, sometimes don't (or forget), it's not really a big deal.

The Qatar sponsorship is a clean look. If we get it rolling on the adboards it will look good. If it ever ends up on the shorts on the front of the jumper it will be all white with no box. QBE irks me with the box but it's their logo. A solid white QBE logo looks really good. It might be a bit off-topic but its a great deal for the Swans and it puts up there with the Barca deal.

Actually I'm even angrier about it then I first realised. I ******* can't stand it when conservative culture warriors like Panahi, (who would usually dismiss a mealy mouthed acronym like LGBTIQ as political correctness gone mad, minority pandering, etc etc) coopt progressive issues because it helps them club a bigger enemy (Muslims and, hilariously, the Sydney Swans).

* off dickhead.

Last edited:
Actually I'm even angrier about it then I first realised. I ******* can't stand it when conservative culture warriors like Panahi, (who would usually dismiss a mealy mouthed acronym like LGBTIQ as political correctness gone mad, minority pandering, etc etc) coopt progressive issues because it helps them club a bigger enemy (Muslims and the Sydney Swans).

**** off dickhead.

Absolutely agree on that. It's like Tony Abbott complaining about misogyny. It's foul.

Rita Panahi. You might as well read an Eddie Maguire blog
Far out, she infuriates me. Poorest excuse for a journalist I've ever seen. Mostly comments on anything to do with sexism or racism or political correctness in general (and I'll kindly say that she takes a devil's advocate approach), but occasionally comments on football related stuff. Being blocked by her on Twitter was a proud moment for me. Proved to myself that my moral compass is pointing in the right direction.

The Qatar sponsorship is a clean look. If we get it rolling on the adboards it will look good. If it ever ends up on the shorts on the front of the jumper it will be all white with no box. QBE irks me with the box but it's their logo. A solid white QBE logo looks really good. It might be a bit off-topic but its a great deal for the Swans and it puts up there with the Barca deal.

This puts us in the upper echelon of marketable AFL clubs. We are not just talking about an Australian company, but a huge deal with a massive international company. Not to mention having companies like Citibank, VW & QBE (An extremely long term partner, I could not imagine a Swans guernsey without QBE) as major sponsors we are becoming a powerhouse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back