Taiwan Plane Crash

Remove this Banner Ad

photos of planes just before they crash are so very haunting. this crash reminds me a lot of this crash + image, AA 191. engine fell off during take off.

Aa191_ohare.jpg

other ones. PSA 182

crash1.jpg

d92fcbc1c8358a38e6612259666c9728051d8fcb_m.jpg

Well, that was hard to watch :(

Apparently their last transmission was "mayday, engine flameout," not sure if that was one or both engines. Looks as though they stalled trying to clear the bridge :(
One of the pics looked as though one of the props may have been feathered. The video has all the signs of a VMCA related incident.

One of the pics looked as though one of the props may have been feathered. The video has all the signs of a VMCA related incident.

That's what it is looking like. Pilots are trained extensively in how to deal with VMCA type events, and if this was in fact the cause, pilot error looks pretty likely. We will wait and see i guess.

That's what it is looking like. Pilots are trained extensively in how to deal with VMCA type events, and if this was in fact the cause, pilot error looks pretty likely. We will wait and see i guess.
That's quite a generalisation. I wouldn't say pilots are extensively trained to deal with anything at quite a large number of carriers around the globe.

One of the most critical aspects of flying twin prop planes is how to deal with engine flame outs and VMCA mitigation. It is horses for courses to some regard and this is why most pilots tend to fly one type of aircraft and it is not a one size fits all policy. Perhaps some people who are more experienced in aviation could correct me, but this what i am led to believe.

That's definitely possible, I couldn't see that much on my tiny screen/mobile data. Rolls over shockingly quick :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the most critical aspects of flying twin prop planes is how to deal with engine flame outs and VMCA mitigation. It is horses for courses to some regard and this is why most pilots tend to fly one type of aircraft and it is not a one size fits all policy. Perhaps some people who are more experienced in aviation could correct me, but this what i am led to believe.
I logged my first multi-engine command hour over half a decade ago so I'm quite aware of how critical VMCA is. What I meant is that at many operators world wide the training is absolutely s**t house and the pilots just aren't given the opportunity to practice emergency procedures in the sims as much as they would like or realistically need.

This quote from pprune (if true) says it all:
Yes the SIM in Singapore operating for about 2 weeks without rudder pedals on the Captains side not 4-6 like you say. You are correct in saying many companies continued to train and check their crews in it, all apart from the Kiwi and Ozzy companies that refused. It is completely at the airlines and TRE/TRIs descretion if they want to continue training in a faulty product. Read into that what you will!

If what this guy says is true it means that companies were training in a sim with inoperative rudder pedals. The rudder is a critical flight control and probably the most critical in emergencies because most non aerobatic pilots use them primarily as a footrest (not good technique but pretty common). In fact he says all but the Aus/NZ companies (probably only 2) decided to OK training pilots with 1/3 of the primary flight controls not being simulated. That is unthinkable.

I logged my first multi-engine command hour over half a decade ago so I'm quite aware of how critical VMCA is. What I meant is that at many operators world wide the training is absolutely s**t house and the pilots just aren't given the opportunity to practice emergency procedures in the sims as much as they would like or realistically need.

This quote from pprune (if true) says it all:

If what this guy says is true it means that companies were training in a sim with inoperative rudder pedals. The rudder is a critical flight control and probably the most critical in emergencies because most non aerobatic pilots use them primarily as a footrest (not good technique but pretty common). In fact he says all but the Aus/NZ companies (probably only 2) decided to OK training pilots with 1/3 of the primary flight controls not being simulated. That is unthinkable.

Yeah i read that also, unbelievable if true

i was speaking to my taiwanese contacts who all agreed that the airport i took off from 2 days ago is the most dangerous in the island nation. (not related to this thread).
Yeh I agree with them. They need to add another terminal at Taoyuan airport and add another runway I think. They should start looking into it once the MRT line that will eventually run to there is finished.

Something very haunting about that one when it explodes into flames with a bunch of hopeless souls on board...

Still tragic but not an airliner at least.

It was a cargo plane transporting military vehicles I believe. Cargo wasn't properly packed and secured which caused it all to move just after take off. Threw the plane off balance, video is the result.

Once a plane's engines are vertical they're pretty much ****ed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back