Oct 20, 2000
Belgrave
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
MEDIA RELEASE FROM THE AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE

NATIONAL AFL RISING STAR ROUND 20 -- TY ZANTUCK

Ty Zantuck of the Richmond Football Club is the Round 20 National AFL Rising Star nominee.

Drafted from St Bernards in 1999, Zantuck began his senior career with the Tigers in 2000 where he lined up three times in the yellow and black.

Since then, Zantuck has steadily consolidated his place on the Richmond list, playing a further seven games in 2001 and every senior game (20) in 2002. His consistent form for the Coburg Tigers in 2001 earned him a place in Richmond's finals side last year, where he had a taste of September action against Essendon in his 10th AFL match.

A player that shows plenty of dash and poise under pressure Zantuck has held down a key role in the Richmond backline.

In 2002 Richmond have had three National AFL Rising Star nominees with Zantuck, joining David Rodan and Mark Coughlan, offering encouragement to the legion of Tiger fans.

tarzan

:) really ? That's great news ! Now we have 3. One more and that's more than any other nominations in a year we've had before. Zantuck, Rodan and Cogs. Added to Dragga and Fiora, that makes 5.

Go Tigers...two more games ...two more wins...two more nominations...ummmmm... Newman and Mills ? :D

Great new for the club that we are getting RS noms not plucked from the first round of the draft (i.e. the obvious ones).

To me it says our recruiting dept is switched on and building up a young list which will form the nucleus of our next few years as the older brigade make way. Picking up good players with mid/late draft picks is how the Tiges will improve their depth and therefore make the club stronger (look at Essendons cannymid/late draft recruiting record). Hopefully we can also bag a beauty with our first round pick this year which should be reasonably early.

Pretty encouraging!

You know what stitched it up for Ty ? I reckon it was the caller to 3AW on Friday night after the game that was very curious why Ty had never been nominated. All of the 3AW panel were very surprised, when "Bondy" gathered Zantuck's credentials, that he was actually still eligible ... I wonder who was listening, or maybe Gerard or Robert do the choosing themselves !!??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back