Remove this Banner Ad

dyl_tigerman

All Australian
Veteran Richmond Tigers - Mark Coughlan 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 21, 2008
the Great Southern Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Im after a bit of help in regards to forward pressure.
I coach an older junior side and look at the afl this year and last year and see that frontal and forward pressure is winning teams games, to some extent.

Im interested to know if any one could give me any ideas on how to teach this. Drills etc.

I see it as a natural want to put pressure on but im sure teams that do it well like collingwood and st. kilda have had some sort teaching in regards to it...

I look forward to your thoughts, thanks

i think fitness plays a huge part, you've gotta cover a huge amount of ground in defence then do the same on offence once they turn it over...i'd say you also need to look at spacing at the contest and determining who's in the best place to tackle or pressure in a split second

malthouse did say in the paper before gf1 that it's loosely based on some war plan some german bloke made up where not meant soldiers beat heaps but that's as much as i know

In terms of drills i would recommend a handball game over about 50 metres with 7-8 a side. It will get the kids used to running from contest to contest in a small area and build up that side of fitness. Also prepares the kids to work the ball under pressure.

Will need to be taught in game simulation. Basically tell the team what forward pressure is with the tackling, putting pressure on the players to get the ball out of their defensive 50, ect.

Basically have 6 defenders on 5 forwards if have a team of 24. Less forwards as the forwards must know they have to work hard to apply this pressure. Basically the defenders have to get the ball out to the HB line (60 odd metres). Start ball being kicked out from the quare as a behind as been scored. The remaining team watches as they are catered visually, you are standing there watching how the other group goes and you let the group watching what was done good and bad so cater for audiotory (talking / listening) learning. The 11 players completing the task are doing the activity (kinaesthetic learning). Once the activity is over via the defenders get the ball out or the forwards get the ball and score then the second group watching goes in.

Change roles or defenders / attackers. Drill caters audiotory, visual and kinaesthetic styles.

Im after a bit of help in regards to forward pressure.
I coach an older junior side and look at the afl this year and last year and see that frontal and forward pressure is winning teams games, to some extent.

Im interested to know if any one could give me any ideas on how to teach this. Drills etc.

I see it as a natural want to put pressure on but im sure teams that do it well like collingwood and st. kilda have had some sort teaching in regards to it...

I look forward to your thoughts, thanks

Collingwoods forward pressure is commonly known as being a result of the way they set up behind the footy and therefore have a very huge forward press !
Hence why there preference is slower and wider ball use !
It's more a game tactic than a skill and therefore needs alot of game type drills !!

Will need to be taught in game simulation. Basically tell the team what forward pressure is with the tackling, putting pressure on the players to get the ball out of their defensive 50, ect.

Basically have 6 defenders on 5 forwards if have a team of 24. Less forwards as the forwards must know they have to work hard to apply this pressure. Basically the defenders have to get the ball out to the HB line (60 odd metres). Start ball being kicked out from the quare as a behind as been scored. The remaining team watches as they are catered visually, you are standing there watching how the other group goes and you let the group watching what was done good and bad so cater for audiotory (talking / listening) learning. The 11 players completing the task are doing the activity (kinaesthetic learning). Once the activity is over via the defenders get the ball out or the forwards get the ball and score then the second group watching goes in.

Change roles or defenders / attackers. Drill caters audiotory, visual and kinaesthetic styles.

thannks pacemaker i like that idea... though i dont like having the boys standing around watching but what i might do is set up another drill and rotate them between... im thinking of maybe even adapting some basketball drills...

i dont think its too hard for them to learn to put pressure on...

I think teaching to run in packs is a crucial part of this strategy as well, you need players to be around each other willing to do the hard things (shepherds, TALK, handball skills). When doing drills dont let players stand in line waiting for their turn at the drill, make em run in 2's, 3's to get the pack mentality in there.. should start to happen then..

playing in a forward line last season, we prided our selfs on the pressure we put on, at training we were put into groups of 3 - 4 and we made to chase down an offensive team of 7 - 8, and you'd go flat out for 2 minutes, taught us all to fight through shepards and swarm to the ball when ever it hit the ground. I thought it really helped

playing in a forward line last season, we prided our selfs on the pressure we put on, at training we were put into groups of 3 - 4 and we made to chase down an offensive team of 7 - 8, and you'd go flat out for 2 minutes, taught us all to fight through shepards and swarm to the ball when ever it hit the ground. I thought it really helped

yeah i think that by having odd numbers on teams helps alot... it really puts the pressure on the guys with the ball to hold it even though they have the extra numbers... i no that pressure in footy isnt something that is going to just change with the times it is important and will probably transcends the generations...
if you can bust your guts to do those 1% that dont get noticed i think that makes a good team... thanks for your help guys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back