FTA-TV Temptation Boned for Eddie

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22276288-5006014,00.html

Temptation axed for McGuireArticle from: Font size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment Exclusive by Fiona Connolly, Media Writer

August 20, 2007 05:09pm

CHANNEL Nine has given in to temptation, scrapping the nightly quiz show hosted by Ed Phillips and Livinia Nixon and replacing it with a weeknight series of Who Wants to Be A Millionaire, hosted by Eddie McGuire.

Temptation hosts Phillips and Nixon face an uncertain future at the network following word the on-again, off-again quiz show is to be "shelved" for at least the remainder of the year.

Temptation, which returned to screens as a rebirthed version of Sale of The Century with Phillips and Nixon in May 2005 will wind up in October.

Following his short-lived stint as the network CEO, Channel Nine is hoping to see a return on McGuire's $4 million a year salary putting him back on the box Monday to Friday in the 7pm timselot.

McGuire, who stood down as the network CEO in May, hits the quizmaster's chair for what is believed to be a 40-episode season to see out the final eight weeks of the ratings season.

He is due to hit the Melbourne studios which have been booked for production of the show in the coming weeks.

Rumours in recent weeks had placed McGuire as the host of a new 6.30pm lifestyle and currents affiars show to lead in to the news replacing Tracy Grimshaw and A Current Affair.

But sources said McGuire was just one of a host of hosts touted for the new show which wouldn't start until 2008 and was "very embryonic" in its development.

The decision to bring Millionaire back was neccessary to "keep the rights to the show alive", Nine sources said yesterday.

The show has been shelved since Feburary 2006 when McGuire was elevated to the chief executive role.

While Temptation has rated well in its 7pm weekday timeslot, often out-rating Seven's Home and Away, it has proved to be a dud inclusion to Nine's summer program with viewers tuning out in droves during the non-ratings period over Christmas.

But the decision to yank it from the air leaves Phillips and Nixon jobless - especially Nixon whose side-project Things To Do Before You Die has been confirmed as a one-off series.

Who Wants to Be A Millionaire unsuccessfully ran as a weeknight show two years ago, although in the 5.30pm timeslot, in an effort to counteract the inclusion of Deal or No Deal in Seven's program.

Its been "put on hold". But that's the same term they used for Sale of the Century when it was taken off in 2001.

Meanwhile I hear there will be changes for Millionaire similar to what they've done in the UK, the biggest change being needing to answer 12 questions to win 1mill instead of the usual 15.

s**t.

Got passed the auditions & accepted to appear on Sale of the Century - only to miss out to going on, due to the show getting axed.

And history repeating itself with Temptation.

<makes mental note to do audition early and not leave it too late next time around>

Its been "put on hold". But that's the same term they used for Sale of the Century when it was taken off in 2001.

Meanwhile I hear there will be changes for Millionaire similar to what they've done in the UK, the biggest change being needing to answer 12 questions to win 1mill instead of the usual 15.

Will the questions be harder.
Has the $1 million gone off

My tip no one will get close to even answering 12 questions let alone 15.

While Temptation has rated well in its 7pm weekday timeslot, often out-rating Seven's Home and Away, it has proved to be a dud inclusion to Nine's summer program with viewers tuning out in droves during the non-ratings period over Christmas.

So, it's been axed or 'rested' for not rating during the non-ratings period.

That's a joke! I'm backing Ed over Eddie on this one. No Millionaire!

Poor Livinia and smoking hot brunette model!

If they ever need a couch to crash on, my door is always open!

The thing I never liked about it was how they had a whole bunch of s**t questions from $100 to $1000. It was total filler :rolleyes::thumbsdown:

So, it's been axed or 'rested' for not rating during the non-ratings period.

That's a joke! I'm backing Ed over Eddie on this one. No Millionaire!

Poor Livinia and smoking hot brunette model!

If they ever need a couch to crash on, my door is always open!

Amen...you would be doing very VERY well to get the lovely Chelsea around for tea & scones...

Will the questions be harder.
Has the $1 million gone off

My tip no one will get close to even answering 12 questions let alone 15.
Not sure about the difficulties.

The mill has gone off twice as far as I can recall. The first was 'Coach' Fulton and the 2nd was Martin Flood aka "The Master"

Back