Toast Thanks Hodgey!

Remove this Banner Ad

While we should all be swept up in the news that the big Rough will be captain this year - just want to tip the hat to Luke Hodge.

Since 2011 he has captained the Hawks for 125 games (third-most games as captain), has seen us never finish outside the top 4 in the regular season during his reign, saw us compete in 5 straight preliminary finals and 4 straight grand finals and led us to a hawktrick of premierships. Hodgey has captained the Hawks to more premierships than any other captain other than Tucky. And as captain he got his second Norm Smith to add to his collection of well-deserved individual awards.

It's been an absolutely fantastic period of success with Luke Hodge at the helm, thanks for the many happy memories!

hawks.jpg

Hawthorn has been blessed with a number of inspirational captains over the 30+ years I've consciously supported this club. The roll-call of captains is up there with the best in the league's history.

2011-2016: Luke Hodge (three premierships, Norm Smith Medal)
2008-2010: Sam Mitchell (one premiership)
2005-2007: Richie Vandenberg (unheralded player by most Hawthorn supporters and every non-Hawthorn supporter but he worked tremendously well with Alastair Clarkson to set the blueprint for the success to come after he retired)
1999-2004: Shane Crawford (Brownlow Medalist in 1999 and set the standard that for a variety of reasons, including poor recruiting, the majority of his teammates couldn't meet)
1995-1998: Jason Dunstall (the greatest full-forward of the modern era but unfortunately named captain on the downward swing of Hawthorn's glory era)
1994: Chris Langford
1992-1993: Gary Ayres
1986-1991: Michael Tuck (four time premiership captain)
1981-1995: Leigh Matthews (one premiership)

Hawthorn has been blessed with a number of inspirational captains over the 30+ years I've consciously supported this club. The roll-call of captains is up there with the best in the league's history.

2011-2016: Luke Hodge (three premierships, Norm Smith Medal)
2008-2010: Sam Mitchell (one premiership)
2005-2007: Richie Vandenberg (unheralded player by most Hawthorn supporters and every non-Hawthorn supporter but he worked tremendously well with Alastair Clarkson to set the blueprint for the success to come after he retired)
1999-2004: Shane Crawford (Brownlow Medalist in 1999 and set the standard that for a variety of reasons, including poor recruiting, the majority of his teammates couldn't meet)
1995-1998: Jason Dunstall (the greatest full-forward of the modern era but unfortunately named captain on the downward swing of Hawthorn's glory era)
1994: Chris Langford
1992-1993: Gary Ayres
1986-1991: Michael Tuck (four time premiership captain)
1981-1995: Leigh Matthews (one premiership)

You haven't gone back far enough, but Hodgey is still the best.

My favourite captain was Peter Crimmins: 5'8" in physical stature and 7' size heart.
Great player and even greater captain.

But Hodgey is the best captain we've had.

Another great period of leadership comes to a close. Hodge leaves Hawthorn a stronger club than when he arrived and I am grateful. Thanks, Hodgey. Well done.

My favourite captain was Peter Crimmins: 5'8" in physical stature and 7' size heart.

I was limiting it to the 30+ years I've been following the Hawks. I wasn't alive when Crimmo captained the Hawks, but Crimmo's story is (or at least should be) well known to Hawthorn supporters.

Virtually singlehandedly defeated the Handbagger forwardline in 2008
Intercepted Rohan's kick-in back in 2014 which sealed the flag and picked up another normy
Kicked the greatest GF goal of all time in 2015 which opened the floodgates to set up the win

What a phenomenal captain he's been. He will loom large in the history of Hawthorn in future decades.

I think I agree with Hodge as number 1. However Graham Arthur was another who could raise the effort and get the absolute maximum from his soldiers. As I have said we have been blessed with quality at Hawthorn, and as long as we keep that quality in all areas from the president through to the volunteers, we will taste success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge made an impression in his debut, set up Crawford for a goal with a tough, clean gather at right half-forward with perhaps his first possession in league football. Wasn't intimidated by Ottens (?) who tried some rough stuff and had it returned with interest. Knew he was going to be a player then.

Well done Hodgey.
Phenomenal captain and leader of the club.

One of my favourites from Hodgey, wasn't gonna take any sh*t with a big "go on, i dare ya" moment.

Last edited:
Howls miserable tears...an end of an era..signalling the end of my favourite... I feel dreadful....

Hodgey there has never been anyone like you.... There never will be again..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back