Society/Culture The 12 Steps... To spotting conspiracy theories.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mistrusting the government is a valid default position to take.
Well, you’re actually more or less voicing a fallacy here. “Because this source has been wrong before, they are wrong now.”
I also think it’s pretty valid to ignore anyone who talks about “the government”, as if it’s one giant person. You wouldn’t even distinguish between the two parties? Despite the fact that I think they’re both pretty gutless and even corrupt, there are differences beyond the cosmetic ones.

Your view reminds me of Rush Limbaughs ‘four corners of deceit’: Media, Government, Academia and Science. Needless to say, his views are total nonsense.

Well, you’re actually more or less voicing a fallacy here. “Because this source has been wrong before, they are wrong now.”
I also think it’s pretty valid to ignore anyone who talks about “the government”, as if it’s one giant person. You wouldn’t even distinguish between the two parties? Despite the fact that I think they’re both pretty gutless and even corrupt, there are differences beyond the cosmetic ones.

Your view reminds me of Rush Limbaughs ‘four corners of deceit’: Media, Government, Academia and Science. Needless to say, his views are total nonsense.
You're doing a lot of extrapolation there based on one sentence.

i'm reading up on what's floating around for when i have to start dealing with people again.
many unfollowings will have happened the last couple of weeks. what australia lacks in coronavirus has been made up by the proliferation of s**t into facebook feeds.

people destroying their tv's is just their very expensive way of telling you they're unable to properly and healthily process information they disagree with. that's their badge of honour.

More accurately, your delusional interpretation and extrapolations based on one sentence.

Your straw man fallacies bore me.
Bigfooty, the place where people accuse you of straw manning them before you’ve actually started arguing.

Don’t worry, I have nothing more to say about your extremely reasononed amd thoughtful comments.

Bigfooty, the place where people accuse you of straw manning them before you’ve actually started arguing.

Don’t worry, I have nothing more to say about your extremely reasononed amd thoughtful comments.
I accused you of producing straw man arguments because you produced straw man arguments. You even pulled a quote of mine from your ass and chose to attack it, which was a first. Not even the fundie Christians are that audacious.

“Because this source has been wrong before, they are wrong now.”

Go find someone closer to your level of intellect. We're done here.

I accused you of producing straw man arguments because you produced straw man arguments. You even pulled a quote of mine from your ass and chose to attack it, which was a first. Not even the fundie Christians are that audacious.

“Because this source has been wrong before, they are wrong now.”

Go find someone closer to your level of intellect. We're done here.
I’m okay with that. But you really can’t spot the fallacy in your own post?

If you replace conspiracy theory with religion, the points are even more accurate. With the regular conspiracy theories, we at least know that some of them have proven to be true. With religion, none of their gods have ever been proven true.

Do I believe that 5G towers cause COVID-19? Of course not...but is that any less probable than a magic man who lives in the sky and watches while we s**t?

Is religion the ultimate wackjob conspiracy theory? I say yes.
I kind of have a similar view

If you put 1000 conspiracy theories in front of me (based on the available evidence) I would dismiss 999 of them

However, throughout history something first considered to be a conspiracy theory has in fact turned out (after in depth scientific study and validation) to be true

Like these guys

1589235377860.png

"Beliefs can never change facts, but if you are a reasonable person, facts should be able to change your beliefs" - Ricky Gervais

Indeed................................so.................................climate change?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kind of have a similar view

If you put 1000 conspiracy theories in front of me (based on the available evidence) I would dismiss 999 of them

However, throughout history something first considered to be a conspiracy theory has in fact turned out (after in depth scientific study and validation) to be true

Like these guys

View attachment 874225
And you count yourself amongst this group?

No, not at all, just making the point using established history

Should I have split the point into 2 separate posts by way of clarity (for easier reading)?
But the idea is generally that “people have been disbelieved before and turned out to be right, so we shouldn’t dismiss nutters”?

But the idea is generally that “people have been disbelieved before and turned out to be right, so we shouldn’t dismiss nutters”?
No, that is not the point

What I'm saying is an initial theory which maybe labeled at that time as a conspiracy theory and then dismissed as such could become valid, if over time, scientifically tested peer reviewed evidence was found to support the initial "conspiracy" theory

The other point I'm trying to make (and I concede this is even more contentious) is that some theories maybe labeled conspiracy theories due to the vested interests of those doing the labeling

Here are two examples
Smoking causes cancer
Asbestos causes asbestosis/mesothelioma

No, that is not the point

What I'm saying is an initial theory which maybe labeled at that time as a conspiracy theory and then dismissed as such could become valid, if over time, scientifically tested peer reviewed evidence was found to support the initial "conspiracy" theory

The other point I'm trying to make (and I concede this is even more contentious) is that some theories maybe labeled conspiracy theories due to the vested interests of those doing the labeling

Here are two examples
Smoking causes cancer
Asbestos causes asbestosis/mesothelioma
Were these labeled conspiracy theories?

Last edited:
In the sense that they were, for many years, dismissed as not being true and even ridiculed (without any evidence being produced that supported that denial)
And, as science advanced, the ideas became proper theories. Many of these are from a time when the scientific method hadn't been fully developed and accepted.

The Wright brothers (and others) built up evidence for manned flight.

Falsifiable evidence.

Of course some theories that are discounted today may gather evidence in the future and our ideas and beliefs will change.

But if you are going around spouting completely unsupportable stuff as if it is proven fact - and thus worth overthrowing institutions - be prepared for people to ignore you, or ridicule you.

Look at what we have today - unprecedented communication between people. Unprecedented access to knowledge. Cheap ways to perform experiments, powerful computers for modelling.

And the best some people can come up with is "it's 5G!"

Pretending a few YouTube videos and some scribbles in a notebook is ground-breaking research is worthy of a bit of ridicule.

I think in that case it was the Conspirators who first put forward the notion that any alternative to the Warren Commission were just Conspiracy Theories
One way of keeping the truth hidden is to deceitfully down play any alternative theories and call them crack pots or crazy people
However proper well researched theories will counter that approach

Of all the thousands of books and video's available, you only ever need to read one book, it explains Why, Who and How with well researched supporting evidence including FOI Public Documents, Court Transcripts and Official Police, CIA, and FBI Reports and Interviews

Once you understand that the US political System has been Criminalised for over 150 years and that murders were/are relatively common in US politics everything else falls into place

If the 12 points above were applied to JFK they would show there is no conspiracy in the sense outlined but that there was in fact a conspiracy

An American Coup D'ETAT - Colonel John Hughes-Wilson

Climate Change is currently going through exactly the same denial process as that used in the JFK Murder by the then conspirators

Hang on so who killed jfk

#Chief

And, as science advanced, the ideas became proper theories. Many of these are from a time when the scientific method hadn't been fully developed and accepted.

Falsifiable evidence.

Of course some theories that are discounted today may gather evidence in the future and our ideas and beliefs will change.

But if you are going around spouting completely unsupportable stuff as if it is proven fact - and thus worth overthrowing institutions - be prepared for people to ignore you, or ridicule you.

Look at what we have today - unprecedented communication between people. Unprecedented access to knowledge. Cheap ways to perform experiments, powerful computers for modelling.

Pretending a few YouTube videos and some scribbles in a notebook is ground-breaking research is worthy of a bit of ridicule.
As I said yesterday.....we basically agree

Falsifiable evidence.

The a grades miss

Of the brain surgery world, or at least

Often say mobiles cause or greatly increase the chances of brain cancer. Yes , no?

Telecommunication which is a trillion dollars industry may keep this on the down low?

It's not unusual science contests with capitalism or other factors to make things shady to you and me instead of black white

Pete Evans shares bizarre conspiracy theory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back