Roast The absolute state of Channel 7 broadcasts

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
They’ve been potted by many for different things, but I’ve long thought their biggest issue and failing by a long, long way is their inability to bring at least SOME of the atmosphere and edge through the TV.

Honestly, have a look at this

You will never get bigger moments in the sport. This is the last two minutes of a Grand Final and there is a kick in it.

The broadcast is appalling. The callers sound like they’ve popped a couple of sleeping pills at 3QT. There is no noise whatsoever.

It’s gotta start with some actual skilled commentators who will build the moment, and some work on their effects mics and cameras.

It’s time the AFL stepped in, because this is actually harming the game. People are introduced to it through TV. And they’re turning enormous, historic moments into snoozefests.

Richo is the worst. I love the guy but he’s a sad sack who lets out his negativity on things he doesn’t like seeing and kills the mood.
His “ that’s ridiculous “ after the advantage call was a real mood killer.

And he spent most of the game arguing with BT over what Framptons role in the side was.

Hodge is a complete moron.

How he gets a gig every year is mind boggling.

He just says constant, pointless crap things. A switched on 10 year old kid would be better than him.

4 minutes to go and they have the cameras on Gil and Albo having photos taken. BT says that they should be watching the game.
Irony that we are forced to watch them having their photos taken rather that what is actually happening on the ground

4 minutes to go and they have the cameras on Gil and Albo having photos taken. BT says that they should be watching the game.
Irony that we are forced to watch them having their photos taken rather that what is actually happening on the ground

And as a great Ch7 representation of how decrepit Ch7 are, sitting right next to Gill and Albo , looking for all the world like Weekend at Bernie's, was the corpse of Kerry Stokes.

The AFL is a Mickey Mouse organisation, as is the media surrounding it. Recycled AFL players in commentary roles. They’re all duds. Need proper professional commentators who have professional media backgrounds.
Main problem being half of them can't even read

Let alone string coherent sentences together

Which is exactly what the AFL wants

At least we were spared the painful vision of McGuire at a grand final for the first time in 20 years

It pisses me off that Hodge's bias towards Brisbane is overlooked compared to BT's antics.

The guy is completely unprofessional.

EDIT: I just had a listen to the ABC radio call of the game and it was so much better than Triple M or Seven. Much more excitement and atmosphere.

Compare this to the 2002 GF broadcasted on channel 10.

Aside from the score graphics which looked cheap and amateurish (even by 2002 standards), the commentary from Hudson and Quartermain was one that had a genuine feel for the game, and the crowd noise from the broadcast was far louder back then than it is on 7 over 20 years later.

Genuinely embarrassing how lifeless the broadcasts are in 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stopped playing drinking games through this finals series on how often they would would say “listen to the crowd if he kicks this/they’ll lift the roof off”, or “player x is built for finals”, or “look at this highly skilled individual” before the player actually executes a skill, because I’m too young to die.

At last count there are also 127 raging bulls in the league. Just call the game you absolute campaigners.

Ha wow I watched the first half but then went out for the afternoon and only happened to tune into the last 4 mins of the game when I saw the score on my phone, but I kept the sound off as when it first loaded up I instantly couldn't stand BT's voice

anyway because I had no sound I legitimately just thought the umpires missed the obvious trip against Brisbane

the fact they called advantage on someone instinctively kicking over their head is horrifically bad

I stopped playing drinking games through this finals series on how often they would would say “listen to the crowd if he kicks this/they’ll lift the roof off”, or “player x is built for finals”, or “look at this highly skilled individual” before the player actually executes a skill, because I’m too young to die.

At last count there are also 127 raging bulls in the league. Just call the game you absolute campaigners.

Yep ..calling the game as good as this would be good

They’ve been potted by many for different things, but I’ve long thought their biggest issue and failing by a long, long way is their inability to bring at least SOME of the atmosphere and edge through the TV.

You will never get bigger moments in the sport. This is the last two minutes of a Grand Final and there is a kick in it.

The broadcast is appalling. The callers sound like they’ve popped a couple of sleeping pills at 3QT. There is no noise whatsoever.

It’s gotta start with some actual skilled commentators who will build the moment, and some work on their effects mics and cameras.

It’s time the AFL stepped in, because this is actually harming the game. People are introduced to it through TV. And they’re turning enormous, historic moments into snoozefests.
Good post.

I was at the game, so wasn't until watching the reply that this slapped me in the face. As a fan watching the last 5 minutes you are on edge, you are anxious, you are excited, you are aware of the enormity of what is unfolding and how it will forever be enshrined in footy folk lore.

The commentary captures none of that, you can barely tell its any different from Round 14 game, just 4 blokes inanely rabbiting on about whatever they see. Brayshaw just squawking WOWEE when Sidebottom kicks a goal for the ages that nobody thought had in him. Then the last 90 seconds, Richo and Hodge spending way too long on an umpiring decision instead of building up the tension.

When your side wins a flag being able to relive the broadcast is a special thing, feels like our 2023 premiership got robbed off this with the amateur call that does not treat the game with any of the reverence it deserved.

I was at the game, so wasn't until watching the reply that this slapped me in the face. As a fan watching the last 5 minutes you are on edge, you are anxious, you are excited, you are aware of the enormity of what is unfolding and how it will forever be enshrined in footy folk lore.

The commentary captures none of that, you can barely tell its any different from Round 14 game, just 4 blokes inanely rabbiting on about whatever they see. Brayshaw just squawking WOWEE when Sidebottom kicks a goal for the ages that nobody thought had in him. Then the last 90 seconds, Richo and Hodge spending way too long on an umpiring decision instead of building up the tension.

When your side wins a flag being able to relive the broadcast is a special thing, feels like our 2023 premiership got robbed off this with the amateur call that does not treat the game with any of the reverence it deserved.
Yep I’ve just rewatched the last Qtr having also been at the game. My Apple Watch was sending me warnings of my resting HR in those last 10 mins as it got to 145. If I had watched it on tv with the commentary volume up, my HR would have been half thst

Your Sidebottom call especially is spot on. Reminded me of Hayes in the 2010 GF. Anybody with even an ounce of understanding of Sidebottom’s game would know that 50m is pretty much his maximum distance. He kicked it close to 60m in 30 degree heat in the biggest kick of his life! All we got was wowee! Absolutely pathetic.

And yep the wasted time spent on childish discussion regarding the advantage decision in the last min completely took away from the excitement, the suspense and the climax of what was unfolding on the field. As much as I thought Bruce was somewhat overbearing, if you compare his call in the final min of the 2010 GF with yesterday’s tripe, it makes me long for Bruce to make a comeback.

Thanks so much for posting this. As you mention, many (myself included) have potted them for a long time, but today it reached another level.

There was this weird feeling, particularly in the second half that I couldn't shake. It just didn't feel like a Grand Final.

Two best sides of the year going at it, great footy for the most part, even contest, virtually goal-for-goal, perfect weather...what more could you want?

Yet they treated it like it was a regulation game at 3:20 on a Sunday arvo.

As the game was drawing closer and closer to it's conclusion with the scores still tight, it really sunk in. They're just not going to up their game today.

Part of it might be the brain just not being wired to hearing BT & JB on the biggest day of the year, but it did feel off. I'd be ropeable if I was a Pies supporter.

FWIW, many Cats fans felt similarly about our triumph last year. A flag which was the crowning glory of a decade of contention, and the best you can come up with is "Cats fans, stand up to your full height" - Really?

Compare this to the 2002 GF broadcasted on channel 10.

Aside from the score graphics which looked cheap and amateurish (even by 2002 standards), the commentary from Hudson and Quartermain was one that had a genuine feel for the game, and the crowd noise from the broadcast was far louder back then than it is on 7 over 20 years later.

Genuinely embarrassing how lifeless the broadcasts are in 2023.

That's probably the biggest thing for mine.

Even make it louder if you have to, but don't drown it out. Particularly on TV, the crowd should tell the story.

Takes pressure off the incompetent commentators too, just let the crowd reaction do the work.

Little bit different on radio where you need a play by play, but on TV it should be about replicating the feeling of the game to the best ability possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back