The AFL should be giving themselves a pat on the back for these new rule changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
Epic stuff. EPIC!

- The kick-in rules (best thing ever)
- The on-the-mark rules (awesome)
- Interchange rules (sweet as)

The game is free-flowing once more. No more forward pressing, or dubious on-the-mark delay of game tactics. It's now more man-on-man.

Sure, there's flooding here and there... but the game was better in the flooding era of the early to mid 2000's, which is where the game seems to be again now.

I hope we haven't forgotten just how ugly the forward pressing was. This is much much better as a spectacle.

Who would of thought by reducing the rotations that the game would open up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They first restricted interchanges many years ago. The game opening up is a result of three different rules:

- Interchanges
- Kick-ins
- Marking

It's cleaned things up. Teams can't press so far up the field when the kicker can consistently get the ball 80m+ out of the defensive 50. Guys like Hurn and McKenzie will be able to get the ball to the middle of the ground.

The new on-the-mark rules have stopped defensive players from deliberately trying to delay the game. Combined with the earlier mark rules about clearing out, and the result is faster, more efficient disposal.

Aaaand the interchanges, which restrict those dubious, high-intensity, numbers to the ball strategies.

Or maybe it's the fact games are 16 minutes longer than last year?

Did you know that on a per minute basis to the same time last year scores are DOWN 0.06 points per minute

Last edited:
When the Tigers' premiership window shuts in a decade or so I'll give the game away. What's next, make everyone from the opposition team stand still while the team with the ball runs wild? 500 goals a game, woohoo!

IMO fairness is more important in any sport than scoring but it looks like Ch7 have got their way, which started when they employed pretty much all forwards as their commentators. Goals = stoppages = ads. Great. AFL needs to recoup the money they didn't make last year.

Did you know that on a per minute basis to the same time last year scores are DOWN 0.03 points per minute
god thank you, facts and logic, enough from the AFL schills commenting earlier.

The stand-still rule has been so inconsistently applied to date, exploited already so that forwards no longer have to kick for goal over a mark...I mean, who would want a forward to actually execute a skill like kicking over a mark...rubbish.

Did you know that on a per minute basis to the same time last year scores are DOWN 0.03 points per minute

Who cares about scoring, at least the ball is finally moving instead of staying stagnant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So 5 games in here are some comparisons of key stats to round 1s in 2018 and 2019

1616241550009.png

So scoring and inside 50s are up on 2019 but down on 2018. Stoppages and tackles are down substantially on both years. Interestingly, contested marks are way up on both.

Early days and you can never ultimately know what is causal....certainly looking good though

So 5 games in here are some comparisons of key stats to round 1s in 2018 and 2019

View attachment 1081951

So scoring and inside 50s are up on 2019 but down on 2018. Stoppages and tackles are down substantially on both years. Interestingly, contested marks are way up on both.

Early days and you can never ultimately know what is causal....certainly looking good though
Nice data, bro.

20-22% decrease in stoppages so far. Nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1081951

I think it is the lack of stoppages that I have noticed the most. Going down from 53 stoppages to 41 is a big change and you really notice it in game.

Frankly, I don't really care what the data about scores says. Aesthetically, I feel like it just looks better so far. Maybe it's the drop in stoppages, maybe it's faster ball movement, I don't know. But so far I think 2021 footy looks really good (other than the Dees-Freo game which was ****ing dreadful).

Not sold just yet ...... can’t get my head around a player on the mark rendered useless and therefore it’s 18 playing 17.

Increased scoring by opening up games to be more free flowing does not necessarily equal a better game in my view, it’s how close and even both teams are, irrespective of the level of scoring.

When teams get a jump on combatting the new rules and start running out 10+ goal victories, what’s the next lever to pull.

Seems to me that the AFL are searching a little too hard for nirvana!!

Frankly, I don't really care what the data about scores says. Aesthetically, I feel like it just looks better so far. Maybe it's the drop in stoppages, maybe it's faster ball movement, I don't know. But so far I think 2021 footy looks really good (other than the Dees-Freo game which was ******* dreadful).
In general, no matter what season it is, round one usually has some high energy first up games due to a combination of players jumping out of their skin after so much pre-season with no actual meaningful games to dig into and an enthusiastic crowd tends to pump up players that they not played in front of over summer. Similarly with form of teams you almost have to get six or seven rounds in before you get a real feel for how teams are travelling. Some sides that end up having ordinary seasons in past have played some of their better footy for season in opening couple of rounds and then real drop back to their average level towards middle of season.

In general, no matter what season it is, round one usually has some high energy first up games due to a combination of players jumping out of their skin after so much pre-season with no actual meaningful games to dig into and an enthusiastic crowd tends to pump up players that they not played in front of over summer. Similarly with form of teams you almost have to get six or seven rounds in before you get a real feel for how teams are travelling. Some sides that end up having ordinary seasons in past have played some of their better footy for season in opening couple of rounds and then real drop back to their average level towards middle of season.

Which is true, but why comparisons should be made on a like for like basis

I have added a "weighted" 2020 (i.e. increased numbers proportionately)

1616246057729.png

I think there is a valid basis for positivity

Which is true, but why comparisons should be made on a like for like basis
The stats you had were about tackles, scoring etc.
I did not mention any of them in my post. I was talking about the overall entertainment of first round games and quite a few intangibles like crowds influence and form of certain poor teams going well in early season games.
It was a nice put together stats table but not about the things I was bringing up in post I made.

Just post them if you want people to see them but not just a random reply with no real connection to what you were replying to.

Defense tends to become more important as the season goes on, because one of the things that (understandably) isn't done during preseason is hard, tough defensive work. Something about laying hard hits on teammates doesn't seem to get the health and fitness guys jumping with joy.

Teams also tend to come out with new ideas in rnd1, which catches their opponents by surprise and open things up...a few weeks for the oppo coaches to adapt and most of those will be shut down.

Imagine trying to explain AFL to a visiting overseas guest. (Not exactly the target market) but you’d never get them to understand it. Guess they might say it’s fast.

Changing rules to fatigue players doesn’t sit well with me but that will evolve so that players are less at risk of injuries. After all interchange was exploited to gain advantage.

All of these new rules are already noticeably being tested such as players not going into position on the mark so they can walk up to it etc

they always find a way to reduce the effectiveness of something as it’s elite competitive sport.

Imagine trying to explain AFL to a visiting overseas guest. (Not exactly the target market) but you’d never get them to understand it. Guess they might say it’s fast.

Changing rules to fatigue players doesn’t sit well with me but that will evolve so that players are less at risk of injuries. After all interchange was exploited to gain advantage.

All of these new rules are already noticeably being tested such as players not going into position on the mark so they can walk up to it etc

they always find a way to reduce the effectiveness of something as it’s elite competitive sport.

Imagine introducing someone to the game late in the year, and then in the new year having to explain to them all the rules changes.

Why did they change that? Nobody knows for sure, but SHocking thought it was a good idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back