The art of grabbing public attention

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 12, 2009
Barkly St
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Seagulls, Kookaburras
Plenty has been written already on the main board about the ACC report on drugs in sport and the like which has consumed the sports media for the last 48 hours or so.

I thought it might be interesting to look at it from the perspective of a media event (which it has become).

I'm prompted to do this by a disconnect I see between the guarded language in the actual report (which at the end of the day might amount to very little in all reality), and the extreme reaction to the report.

Anyone and everyone is now an expert and is fronting the cameras, giving quotes, pontificating, despite the fact that no one knows any details (although one suspects the AFL might know a bit more, and I'll come to that in a minute).

The language in the report is quite guarded, and mixes up a lot of different concepts, almost giving the impression that it has done so to make the report more interesting - to get attention.

For example, if the ACC had just investigated Image enhancing drugs, focusing on body building and anti-aging clinics, the universal response would have been one of absolute boredom, and it would not have grabbed the Government's attention one little bit.

Well that's not good enough.

What if we mention that we found an example of an amateur rugby player procuring banned substances (one of the very few case studies mentioned).

Ok, we can imagine the Minister saying: yes, that's a bit more interesting - but it would be even more interesting if the big competitions were mentioned.

All of a sudden, we have a report talking about "potential use", "suspicions" and a "trajectory".

Oh my god - you mean there might be a potential trajectory of the use of banned substances in the AFL?!

Yes, that would appear to be the case - a potential trajectory.

Thus, we have all the major governing bodies, to a man, talking about a "wake up call" - a phrase used by more than one, and on more than one occasion.

Now I would agree, there is nothing wrong with the governing bodies being given a "wake up call" in relation to a potential trajectory - nothing wrong with that at all - but it's a bit at odds with the hysteria.

For Demetriou's part, who is assuring everyone that they will take action, etc - it poses an interesting question. With calls for all the sports to establish integrity units - guess which sport is the only one which has one? Now that's a good message to get out there amidst the hysteria (and no doubt there's more of the same in the AFL's response and the outcome they are expecting - you don't start a review unless you know the answer).

And now we see public spokesmen for both the ACC and ASADA making comments, and what do you know - they are both in line for additional government funding.

Well fancy that - who could ever have predicted that outcome, just as the Treasury is working on the 2013-14 Commonwealth budget. What a fantastic conincidence!

They would have learned a lot from the secret squirrel industry - if you cry wolf often enough - you can quadruple your government funding in the space of 5 or 6 years.

Finally, we have the Minister herself, in an election year no less, talking tough - now we've seen that before! (think police ministers in state elections)

All happy coincidences, and all of a sudden, whether anything is found at the elite level becomes by the way. At a minimum, everyone will be able to pat themselves on the back for halting the potential trajectory.

One thing I can assure you of, everyone will continue to ignore the body builders and anti-aging clinics!

True there is an element of playing to the media for the media love a good juicy story and Kate Lundy was very firmly and I am sure she was sincere in her comments but having seen Lundy in parliament she is usually softly spoken and chooses her words carefully.

I don't think this takes way from the potential seriousness of the story.

Yes, the potential trajectory is potentially serious.

Well you've just answered your own question.
Why don't you heed your own advice and wait to see what transpires.
Reckon if the govt and the ACC had said nothing, you'd be bagging them for not being transparent?

We are already seeing the early signs of what is likely to transpire - and it ain't very much - certainly not enough to warrant this big song and dance by the ACC and Government.

And the clues that there's not very much there are all contained in the report itself - full of vague, ambiguous language, riders, provisos, ifs buts and maybes.

The warning bells rang when I noticed that the ACC had mixed up PEDs and Image Enhancing drugs, the latter rife in body building and anti-aging clinics.

For a report that is ostensibly about drugs in sport - I had trouble reconciling the fact that it was also focusing on image enhancing drugs used in body building and anti-aging clinics.

Then there's the discussion on amateur sport, an issue yes, but the connection to the AFL and NRL is overstated.

Lastly, there's the likelihood that the ACC has also included illicit drugs (recreational drugs) - but has anyone told them that they are not PEDs (unless they are found to have been used on match day).

Furthermore, of the hundreds of thousands of Australians using illicit drugs on a weekly basis, why is the ACC spending 12 months in an investigation to uncover a dozen footballers who might be dabbling in illicit drugs, and then be a party to a grand press conference to give an ultra-serious message about drugs being rife in elite sport?

Very difficult to reconcile all that, except to put it all under the banner of political grandstanding.

Yes,
Yes, Gerard Henderson now he wouldn't be biased would he.
Why don't you quote Andrew Bolt?

Henderson is just one commentator of many who have concluded that this is nothing more than a fishing expedition on the part of the ACC, and the government has taken the opportunity for some political grandstanding.

The Minister for Justice himself said on Insiders that it's all about putting the "frightners" through everyone.

That's odd.

The ACC is not allowed to publicly release a report unless it has sufficient evidence to sustain a prosecution, but here we have the Minister for Justice claiming that they are trying to flush people out - effectively admitting that the ACC doesn't have sufficient evidence - so the report was released in contrvention of its own legislation.

Yes, you will see that the Minister is leading the charge - politics at its finest!
Politicians know how to play the game and distract attention from their own issues.

It's quite simple really:

1. A government in trouble, with a long run-up to the election.

2. Release a "shocking" report full of rumours and little evidence.

3. ?

4. Profit

In the meantime, every sportsman in Australia is blackened by the rumours, and everyone is so ditracted that they forget the politician who started it all.​

Yes, you will see that the Minister is leading the charge - politics at its finest!
Politicians know how to play the game and distract attention from their own issues.

It's quite simple really:

1. A government in trouble, with a long run-up to the election.

2. Release a "shocking" report full of rumours and little evidence.

3. ?

4. Profit

In the meantime, every sportsman in Australia is blackened by the rumours, and everyone is so ditracted that they forget the politician who started it all.​
Can you explain why Essendon dobbed themselves in? The election is 7 months away so I'd hazard to guess the "The Black eye" on Australian sportsman will be gone by September.

We are already seeing the early signs of what is likely to transpire - and it ain't very much - certainly not enough to warrant this big song and dance by the ACC and Government.

And the clues that there's not very much there are all contained in the report itself - full of vague, ambiguous language, riders, provisos, ifs buts and maybes.

The warning bells rang when I noticed that the ACC had mixed up PEDs and Image Enhancing drugs, the latter rife in body building and anti-aging clinics.

For a report that is ostensibly about drugs in sport - I had trouble reconciling the fact that it was also focusing on image enhancing drugs used in body building and anti-aging clinics.

Then there's the discussion on amateur sport, an issue yes, but the connection to the AFL and NRL is overstated.

Lastly, there's the likelihood that the ACC has also included illicit drugs (recreational drugs) - but has anyone told them that they are not PEDs (unless they are found to have been used on match day).

Furthermore, of the hundreds of thousands of Australians using illicit drugs on a weekly basis, why is the ACC spending 12 months in an investigation to uncover a dozen footballers who might be dabbling in illicit drugs, and then be a party to a grand press conference to give an ultra-serious message about drugs being rife in elite sport?

Very difficult to reconcile all that, except to put it all under the banner of political grandstanding.
Interesting , personally think 7 months out it's not going to sway voters I wouldn't think.
Just wondering why Andrew Demetriou would let the brand get trashed if he was privvy to the same amount of information we know. The same applies to the NRL . Wouldn't think sporting bodies would allow their codes to be trashed to aid a Govt's " political grandstanding". Interesting times

Interesting , personally think 7 months out it's not going to sway voters I wouldn't think.
Just wondering why Andrew Demetriou would let the brand get trashed if he was privvy to the same amount of information we know. The same applies to the NRL . Wouldn't think sporting bodies would allow their codes to be trashed to aid a Govt's " political grandstanding". Interesting times

Once the ACC and Government started flinging mud - it's a very difficult position for the AFL and NRL.

Say and do nothing?

Protest your innocence?

Talk tough, safe in the knowledge that the ongoing investigations will reveal very little (and you get on with life).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AD and the AFL have handled this issue very well and look 1000 times more professional than the other codes.

The Pom now running the nRL and Gallop who was in charge of the nRL when some of this may have happened and who is now in in charge of soccers A League are not able to match the PR skills of the AFL and seem to be out of their depth..

Once the ACC and Government started flinging mud - it's a very difficult position for the AFL and NRL.

Say and do nothing?

Protest your innocence?

Talk tough, safe in the knowledge that the ongoing investigations will reveal very little (and you get on with life).
Fair enough. So the AFL are going to say nothing while it's sport gets trashed?
Are they privvy to information the public don't know? That's all I'm saying.Sure if they were confident there is no case to answer we'd have had the presser with the league clawing back some lost credibility.

Here we are two weeks after the release of the ACC report, and I've seen nothing to make me change my mind that this has all been about political grandstanding.

People might be interested in this Masters opinion piece, and this quote from Lawler:

''Everyone seems focused on asking when can we hear the cell door clanging,'' he says, in reference to naming and shaming the guilty. ''But the important thing is to make codes, clubs and players aware criminals want to enter their sports and use drugs as a path to match-fixing.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/doping-points-to-sports-main-game-20130217-2el8s.html#ixzz2LVvxbKAd

In other words, Lawler is talking about the dangers of criminals entering sport - but that's a bit different to suggesting that they are already there - and that's the problem I have with the report - the inconsistent language - making me conclude that it has been subject to political interference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back