Preview The Ashes 2017/18

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Marsh is more likely to score a big hundred than Maxwell, or Renshaw. tests are won by batsman making hundreds. If Marsh makes two hundreds he sorta be justified.

My points given the lack of in form options going experienced player in a tough vital series isn't totally outrageous. It's not a selection I would have made but I can see the thinking.
Marsh has only made 4 hundreds in 42 test innings, and only one of those hundreds came in Australia and that was against the might of the West Indie Further, he hasn't made a hundred in sheffield shield this season. The odds of him making 2 hundreds this series would be 100000:1. Maxwell made a big ton for us India and the difference between his 100s and Marsh is if Maxwell gets to 100 in Australia conditions it will be likely at a sr of 100 or more - more often that not that really will be a match winning innings. Renshaw had a quiet tour of sub continent but his form in Australia last season was excellent and included a 180. Maxwell and Renshaw are both very different players and both deserve to be playing more than Marsh. Marsh has been given enough opportunities for us to know that he's not quite up to test cricket. Giving him another crack at the expense of the other two is either stupidity or something more alarming.

Maxwell dropped is farcical. And that they dropped him for a Marsh makes it worse.

He could turn the whole test match in one session.

Interesting whether you troll the Australian Cricket Team aswell.

I thought Renshaw was a bit stiff. They obviously saw something in him to bring him in from relative obscurity in the first place, and he hasn't done a lot wrong imo. I rate that he values his wicket and he's a good opening partner for Warner imo. I can understand leaving Maxwell out to be honest. The guy averages more in T20 and ODI cricket than Test Cricket. I know he's only played a handful of games but he's just not in the best 6 test batsmen in the country imo. He'll get another go at some point. Shaun Marsh is only another injury and/or a couple failures away from leaving a spot open for him. Peter Neville must wonder what he did wrong??

To be fair Neville has gotten left high and dry a lot in his test career coming in late with the bowlers when we were going through phases of big collapses. Well we still are lol.
And we probably will continue to do so.

None of them are great batting options. Thats a bit secondary to their main task as a keeper imo. And Neville has it over Wade as a keeper imo
I just don’t understand if it’s not about batting and they want this team to go forward bring in Carey. Very solid with the gloves and his batting is on the up.

I’ve recently moved to England and for some bizarre reason everyone seems to think I actually give a * about one of the worst sports in the world.

Can someone give me a quick summary of what I say to people when they ask me anything about the Ashes? Thanks

None of them are great batting options. Thats a bit secondary to their main task as a keeper imo. And Neville has it over Wade as a keeper imo

Which is why Paine has been picked he's the better keeper. he's only been not keeping in Tassie and the Tassie selectors left they had to play the incumbent Australian Keeper as a keeper in the state side.

My worry is the batting outside of Smith and Warner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is why Paine has been picked he's the better keeper. he's only been not keeping in Tassie and the Tassie selectors left they had to play the incumbent Australian Keeper as a keeper in the state side.

My worry is the batting outside of Smith and Warner.
100%. We cannot afford for these two to fail.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21439489/australia-top-order-versus-england-lower-order

Australia averaging no 6 20.53 no 7 21.52 no 8 20.83 (what 60 combined
England averaging nob 6 39.42 no 7 44.16 no 8 32.33 (116 combined about double)

Austria are very reliant on runs up the order recently (read Smith and Warner) England less so more of team contribution (though there tops order has not been scorings well as Australia) Warner averages 59 (14 tons) at home and 38 away (6 tons) in the same number of matches 20 difference in averages.

On the odd note test squad includes three guys with keeping experience Paine, Handscomb, Bancroft.

Last edited:
I hope Trevor Hohns has a fake identity and a Swiss Bank account full of US dollars ready for a midnight flit. For his sake.

A shocking drop by Paine marred an otherwise okay day for the Aussies. That runout from Gaz was the turning point I reckon. A wicket or two with the new ball in the morning and Australia will be right on top
Lucky it only cost 10 runs or so. Cracking ball to get Root out also. Not sure what the umpire was waiting for. Plumb!

England well below par imo. Needed another 100 considering the starts a few of their batsmen were able to get
Yep. Great session for the Aussies there. Could Malan look any more of a dill they way he got out:$

Been away for work so have missed a fair bit of it. Been listening all day on the radio, and it really is obvious Australia don’t have enough batsman that want to grind it out. Until they sort this out we’ll never be a threat. Credit to SM and SS they are having a dig but everyone needs to pull their weight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back