The beer thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not exactly on topic, but close. In my work I've looked at many former (mostly late 19th century) breweries and maltings in inner Melbourne. Fascinating complexes, many of which retain their tall brick brew towers and brick malthouses. They were built by the big brewers, many of whom were formed through taking over or amalgamating the small breweries which proliferated around Melbourne in the mid-19th century. Most of these old complexes, brew towers and the like, have been converted into swish apartments and offices.

The complexes are dotted around Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood, Abbotsford. In their heyday, they ran their own footy teams and produced some great footballers including for the Pies. Our own Jock Mchale worked at Carlton and United, in between coaching us to flags.:D

But I also find it fascinating that we are in the midst of a new wave of boutique breweries and small beer makers, some of whom have taken up residence in inner Melbourne including Collingwood (again). History repeats.

Not exactly on topic, but close. In my work I've looked at many former (mostly late 19th century) breweries and maltings in inner Melbourne. Fascinating complexes, many of which retain their tall brick brew towers and brick malthouses. They were built by the big brewers, many of whom were formed through taking over or amalgamating the small breweries which proliferated around Melbourne in the mid-19th century. Most of these old complexes, brew towers and the like, have been converted into swish apartments and offices.

The complexes are dotted around Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood, Abbotsford. In their heyday, they ran their own footy teams and produced some great footballers including for the Pies. Our own Jock Mchale worked at Carlton and United, in between coaching us to flags.:D

But I also find it fascinating that we are in the midst of a new wave of boutique breweries and small beer makers, some of whom have taken up residence in inner Melbourne including Collingwood (again). History repeats.

McHale worked at the brewery for over 50 years. Safe to say he was a stayer.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lovely post, thanks VP.
In my own local area of Footscray we have a fantastic brewery called Hop Nation. They are making some amazing beers, including my personal favourite, Jedi Juice.

Lovely post, thanks VP.
In my own local area of Footscray we have a fantastic brewery called Hop Nation. They are making some amazing beers, including my personal favourite, Jedi Juice.

I’m not a fan of beer jmac. I much prefer champagne or a good Aussie bubbly, but I love the inventive names given to the new beers. The resurgence in local beer making is a good news story.

I’m not a fan of beer jmac. I much prefer champagne or a good Aussie bubbly, but I love the inventive names given to the new beers. The resurgence in local beer making is a good news story.
Fair enough, but I reckon a good IPA might change your mind.

Great photos. I wish I had taken some while I was there. Its a great cave. But I was too busy trying to listen to my french friend interpret for my while the tour we were on was in french... Id love a riddling rack for my shed, and some came up for sale the other day direct from France, but a half side (ie, not the full A frame) was $650 delivered to myrtleford. So I wussed out.

The whole process of champagne is fascinating. Some of the big houses over there ooze opulence, but still its about years of tradition and skill to adhere to house style, regardless of the year. Wish my budget exteneded to Vintage Champagne more often...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Monteith’s Black for me tonight
Nice. I’m starting out with a couple of Hop Nation Market IPAs, before swinging into a four pack of Last Rites Black IPA.
I’ve also bought a bottle of 3 Ravens Imperial Stout. Weighs in at 13%

Dl4kI28UYAAEXRV.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back