Veteran 10k Posts
Apr 20, 2008
The Terrortory!
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Uni Rats! Believeburgh
How good is cycling?

I first started cycling as an adult for fitness after breaking my ankle, three or so years ago. Since then I've had 3 stress fractures in my feet, one in my leg and am currently waitng for a knee reconstruction. It's been great for me.

There are a lot of ex footballers into cycling and such, with ****ed bodies. But I love it as it's great for my head, for thinking and not thinking.

So how many of us are into cycling? What do you ride, how far and for what purpose?

Since having my first knee op a few months ago, I commute to work each day which is about a 15k round trip, but try and stretch it to 30k's.

Have a basic Orbea alloy road bike that I'll use as my commuter, as I've just ordered the new Orca Gold with SRAM Force.

orca-2011.png

:D

Yourselves?

I approve of this thread.

Just started getting into cycling because I live close to Uni and felt it was a waste to drive every day, plus I needed an exercise alternative to the good old fashioned running, which I love, but my shins don't. The day before I was supposed to pick up my shiny new treadly, I copped a knee injury playing footy, so it's been a slow introduction and I've only just got the all clear to start exercising again. Rode around for about three hours yesterday and can't wait to go out again.

The bike I bought myself? My student budget and entry level needs dictated that a Merida Speeder T1 would be the best choice for me. If I had a bit more cash to splash I would've been looking at a proper drop bar road bike, but this'll do the trick nicely for now. I might look at adding some of those fancy click-in pedals soon if I can get a good deal.

SKU22176-01.jpg

Clipless pedals will make a huge difference. At least 10-15% in your average speed and will take a lot of stress off your legs. And you can just put them on a new bike if you ever want to upgrade. :thumbsu:

Cycling is good. I started this year commuting from Leach Highway to Subi. About 15k each way. Been a bit slack for some of the winter but getting back into it now3-4 times per week.
Have a second hand 2008 Avanti Vivace -goes good for a low-mid range bike I think. Get to see cool stuff like dolphins including a calf yesterday morning.... aahhh fresh air!!!!

Torpedo7 is your friend if you want a deal!
I commute into the city daily, an old Avanti Monza which is still going strong despite taking a beating along the way. Also try and get around the river with a couple of mates most weekends

Torpedo7 is your friend if you want a deal!
I commute into the city daily, an old Avanti Monza which is still going strong despite taking a beating along the way. Also try and get around the river with a couple of mates most weekends

I use PBK more now. Much better for tyres and tubes etc.

Very Good thread.

My Brother in Law got me into cycling as an adult about 7 years ago. Started doing rides on the Weekends and then also to work. For a couple of years (before I had kids) I would ride to work 3 days a week (10k each way) and then do around the Bridges on Sunday mornings and back home again (about 60k).

Kids put an end to the Sunday morning rides (tended to need to a sleep Sunday afternoon as well) and in winter I pick the days to ride to work, ride more often up to 4 days/week in Summer. Certainly gets you to work feeling fresh and de-stressed - great way to unwind after work coming home as well.

I have a 2006 Avanti Giro - nice mid-lower price road bike with all Shimano 105 gear, aluminum frame and carbon forks and post. Done about 20,000 K on it now.

On the subject:

I have been getting really sore shins when I run and think it might be related to cycling and not stretching enough - so I am stretching more now. In particular I am told (and it makes sense) that a lot of cycling and not stretching your calf muscles shortens them and leads to other problems.

Does anybody have an idea the best place (in Perth or online) to get reasonably priced Nicks - short and long? Long legged Nicks really good for those winter mornings.

Does anybody have an idea the best place (in Perth or online) to get reasonably priced Nicks - short and long? Long legged Nicks really good for those winter mornings.

Online is likely to be the best as far as getting a good deal, as above probikekit or torpedo7 (probikekit likely to be the better quality stuff) are both worth a shot.

On the subject:

I have been getting really sore shins when I run and think it might be related to cycling and not stretching enough - so I am stretching more now. In particular I am told (and it makes sense) that a lot of cycling and not stretching your calf muscles shortens them and leads to other problems.

When I've had this problem in the past on the bike, I just fiddle with my technique a bit. I'm naturally a heel up rider which lends itself to such, so if you can ride in a more heel down position, it can help as well.

If you don't already have orthotics, I recommend seeing a podiatrist and getting them made up to help with your shin soreness. It can be pricy if you don't have private health but it's worth it. Getting orthotics definitely helped me.

Love cycling! Glad there's others like me on this board.

I've always cycled a lot. Comes with being Dutch/Belgian, I guess. I raced seriously for about 6 years (14 - 20) against guys like Boonen and De Weert. By the end I was doing between 400 and 600 kms a week. Then a combination of a bad crash that busted my back, study obligations and just not being good enough forced me to quit. I ballooned from a lean 78 kgs for 198 cm to a shameful 125 kgs in four years. Study is finished now and the last three years I've gotten back on my bike, dropped to a reasonable 98 and participated in a charity ride, cycling up Alpe d' Huez multiple times, for the last two years. That was awesome.

Next year I'm planning to cycle up Ventoux with my wife to raise cash for Alzheimer research.

Lol, sorry for the autobiography.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Study is finished now and the last three years I've gotten back on my bike, dropped to a reasonable 98 and participated in a charity ride, cycling up Alpe d' Huez multiple times, for the last two years. That was awesome.

Next year I'm planning to cycle up Ventoux with my wife to raise cash for Alzheimer research.

Lol, sorry for the autobiography.

You're crazy.

But be a man, do it on a fixie!

On a fixie :eek: I don't think so. I've even given up my snobbery about using two in stead of three front chainrings. The little bit of added weight no longer measures up to the help the third chainring has given me on the steepest sections of big climbs or hills like La Redoute or the Cauberg.

Both the Pyrenees and the Alps are beautiful cycling territory. The climbs of the Pyrenees are a bit more irregular than the Alps, which is why the latter suit my cycling style a bit better. (My climbing is best described as Jens Voigt-like, I think :eek:)

Alpe d'Huez itself is an amazing experience. It's not the most beautiful climb in the area, but it's history is so tangible there. It took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes for one climb. To think Pantani did it in 37 minutes, is just insane. I'm really looking forward to Going to Ventoux. It just sticks out like a white giant in the country side. Very intimidating.

Where do you guys cycle over there? When I was in Perth I mostly followed the river, doing laps from the bridge in Freo to Leach Highway.

On a fixie :eek: I don't think so.

Soft. Clearly not < 8%

I believe one of the former Australian professional cyclists did one of the climbs in this year's TDF on the same bike that won the 1910 TDF as a tribute thing.

Single speed and I believe may even have had square wheels.

Where do you guys cycle over there? When I was in Perth I mostly followed the river, doing laps from the bridge in Freo to Leach Highway.

When in Perth I used to ride around Bibra Lake a couple of times just about everyday. Lived on Winterfold road which just about has the worst hill in Perth. No easy way to get home either. :eek:

My most common longer ride would be to the Freeway to Canning Bridge and around the river back to home. Out the back of the Canning River was a decent ride as well.

Here in Darwin, I ride around the Nightcliff foreshore to work each day and over the Rapid Creek (river). Probably one of the best foreshores I've encountered.

foreshore1.jpg

foreshore2.jpg

rapidcreek1.jpg

rapidcreek2.jpg

I ride out to Lee Point where basically the only hill here exists, Buffalo Creek, around some of the lagoons and things here most weeks. East Point and Cullen Bay are nice rides and good for a perve.

Very flat and open roads here. Good commuting and safe riding. Not so good for training. Good for sprinters and potential triallers such as myself. No good for climbers. Decent bitumen velodrome that I've been using a bit as well.

Nearly rode around the harbour to Mandoorah (150km) on a club ride a month or 2 ago, but my knee wasn't up to it. Early next dry is the goal depending on what happens with the knee.

No, definitely not up to standard on the old Memories BF scale. Can't shoot 6000 hoops in a row either. Massive respect to the guy who did it on the ancient bike.

And man, those photo's make me miss Australia.

How good is cycling?

on a scale of 1 to 10 i give it an 11.

online is good if you know your size, otherwise i'd recommend ride'n'style in mosman park, it's a little more expensive but they have really good gear and a decent range.

on the weekend my group usually does the river loop as well but on sunday just gone we did this ride:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia/darlington/145346888

the scenery was so good and the roads so devoid of traffic and there were so many decent hills it made us question why we do the river loop so often.

Alpe d'Huez itself is an amazing experience. It's not the most beautiful climb in the area, but it's history is so tangible there. It took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes for one climb. To think Pantani did it in 37 minutes, is just insane. I'm really looking forward to Going to Ventoux. It just sticks out like a white giant in the country side. Very intimidating.

Well...

I won a trip to Paris last night at some Freemasonry Lord's Taverners thing for the Invincibles of 48.

So I'm going to coincide with the TDF next year, and would like to do a day or two of cycling touring.

So I may well see you there!!! Would need to do a hell of a lot of work to do that climb as well!

I have a 2008 Avanti Vivace as well, after the Monza I had was stolen. Used to ride from Como to Leederville and back every day, then around the river on weekends. Moved to Attadale so now doing Attadale to Leederville which is a handy morning ride.

In november last year took out a tendon in my right wrist when I came off the bike, then a week later took out almost the same tendon in my left wrist playing beach volleyball. Made it hard to grip the handlebars so gave it up, and just starting to get back into it again.

Love spending a few hours in the sun riding - and thinking. The river route and also along the ocean between hillarys and yanchep are good rides. The ocean route is super fun on Sunday mornings when you're sharing a dipping winding path with joggers + ipods, and people walking dual file across both lanes.

Been cycling for about 3 years now, even have a nanny state helmet. . Best way to get to work , the shops , the Pub and home quickly.
Nay not be PC to mention it but I was actually inspired by the current PM who regardless whether you agree with his politics is a great role model for getting PPL back on bikes

just started riding - bought a carbon frame Giant TCR advance with shimano ultegra running gear.

First bike so hard to judge how good it is but I feel like it flies...
I'm not hitting huge k's and after a knee reco it goes all tight and painful after I hit about 40km anyway, but I love powering on in sprints here and there - great feeling.

weighing in at 94kg's I find hills just hate me ( and vice versa ) .
started riding to work but I find ( even after a shower ) I just have the exercise afterburn for about an hour....not a good look :eek:

The best thing of it all is just getting some solo time with the tunes cranking on the ipod, and feeling like I'm 12 years old again riding down to the fish and chip shop !!

I'm not hitting huge k's and after a knee reco it goes all tight and painful after I hit about 40km anyway, but I love powering on in sprints here and there - great feeling.

could be worth seeing a physio that does bike fits just to make sure you're set up right, it really does make the world of difference (and you get $$ back from health insurance).

The best thing of it all is just getting some solo time with the tunes cranking on the ipod, and feeling like I'm 12 years old again riding down to the fish and chip shop !!

YES! :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

welcome aboard, it's a crazy addiction.

could be worth seeing a physio that does bike fits just to make sure you're set up right, it really does make the world of difference (and you get $$ back from health insurance).

YES! :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

welcome aboard, it's a crazy addiction.

Yeh, I've thought about the physio but TBH I don't really have the time or inclination to ride massive distances so I just put up with it and it usually goes in a day or so - it's just tightness down the outer side/back of the knee, which I hear is actually due to tightness around the hip...still feels better than if I tried to run !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back