The density rule.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thatd be dope, beat your man then sprint to your next teammate, handball over the top and repeat till you get a shot on goal.

That is what will happen if the game goes man on man at this skill level.

Exactly. If you put Carlton into a time machine and played Essendon circa 1984 they wouldn’t know themselves they’d have so much time and space to move the ball in

Here's a radical idea: why doesn't one team open the play up by adopting more traditional positions? One big clearance kick into their forward fifty and the opposing side would be screwed. I can't imagine the congestion style of play winning in that scenario - they would be forced to spread out across the field.

All the AFL's rule changes and tweaks have basically been introduced to react to coaches exploiting existing rules.

Rather than change rules - why not just reduce the ability for coaches to exploit existing ones?

How? How do you alter the ability of coaches to expoit rules... without changing them? Or adding? Or removing? Both of which are types of change.

But your first thought is right. And none of the proposed fixes will address it without creating other loopholes or aspects which coaches will exploit. Because coaches don't give a flying * about how the game looks, they care about winning and ladder position.

So you have to incentivise change, imposing it probably isn't going to work. One possible change might be to remove %. Currently with the way % is calculated, it is more advantageous to keep a team to a very low score than it is to score more yourself. Change it to points for only and you alter the incentive, coaches will now have a clear reason to score. While that may be to small a change to actually produce a dramatic shift, it at least addresses the root cause. I'm sure Melbourne supporters would have liked for that to be the case last year.

I think therein lies the biggest problem of all.....

'Everyone's gripe' is not the same.

Excellent reply, nothing is a one size fits all and footy is no different. I get the sentiment of the rest of your post and it is reasoned for both one on one contest and good transition after winning the pill.

No one likes the rolling maul, for example the essendon game on the weekend there was a few "rolling mauls" but by and large there was good aerial and ground contests without it being a maul - add speed on the pill win! Saad and Crisp great examples of breaking lines and kicking it long I50. Was exhilarating in fact. Well for me anyway.

The week previous, the dogs v cats - best game of footy all year!

For mine and I'd think you'd agree, games are not 120 mins of stacks on the mill (think it's a little hyperbolic) - the stacks on the mill part for mine can be addressed without the necessity of zones and eventual dreaded off side rules - yuck!

And I get the frustration of coaching tactics that sees teams chip around half back, fact of life is that if back in the 70s and 80s most players lacked the tank to run both ways all day like they do now. If they could I'd have my money on the coaches then doing similar to now.

So the only teams it will heavily affect are bottom teams. The bottom teams either have to ditch structure or watch it fall apart while top teams who can hold it beat up on them? Hey look since that’s gonna hold bottom teams at the bottom while Richmond are up top, I’m fine with it, but I really don’t think that’s good for the game.

In the very short term, different teams would be impacted more than others. Definitely.

But I think any rules changes would be the same in that sense.

How cool would it be watching a game where a bloke kicks two in a row, and DOESN'T come running to the bench for rest?

How cool would it be, for a forward to start running hot, and be on his way to a big bag and for an alert NOT to go off in the opposition coach's box and they send the runner out to start quadruple teaming him?

Wouldn't it be cool if the only way to stop him, was for players on the other team to simply beat him?

In the very short term, different teams would be impacted more than others. Definitely.

But I think any rules changes would be the same in that sense.

How cool would it be watching a game where a bloke kicks two in a row, and DOESN'T come running to the bench for rest?

How cool would it be, for a forward to start running hot, and be on his way to a big bag and for an alert NOT to go off in the opposition coach's box and they send the runner out to start quadruple teaming him?

Wouldn't it be cool if the only way to stop him, was for players on the other team to simply beat him?
I see why you don’t care what this would do to the players’ skill levels

You’re too busy watching the bench to worry about the game!

I see why you don’t care what this would do to the players’ skill levels

The game is an absolute eyesore right now, and you're waffling on about skill levels?!

When the ball is released from congestion in the modern game, the speed and efficiency of ball movement is incredible.

Correct, because endurance robots are getting rotated 80 times a game.

Do you have any concerns about collision injuries?

No. Should I?

No idea, just a thought out in the open.

The image of Jordan Lewis getting knocked out against the Doggies in ~2010 still makes me shudder.

It happens, but less congestion makes it less likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what do you thinks going to happen when players are more tired? Will their skills get better or worse?

Isn't the point that by ensuring players get tired - the coaches will have to change the standard modern game-plan that involves 18 players sprinting up and down the ground non-stop for 120 minutes as it actually won't be sustainable?

If they keep playing the way they do, of course skills will drop off badly as they tire. But the intention is that they won't sacrifice skills and fade outs in games - but instead adjust the way they play.

The intention isn't to make players fatigued for a laugh. It's to force a change to the way the game is played.

So in the past when, even though teams left forwads in position, the general tactic was to get three goals up then kill the contest by rucking up and down the boundary line, it was considered a fine spectacle

There have always been crap games, and probably the majority of games had/have at least one forgettable quarter.
Probably there always will be. Looking around it’s the nature of sport generally, unless you want WWF

Isn't the point that by ensuring players get tired - the coaches will have to change the standard modern game-plan that involves 18 players sprinting up and down the ground non-stop for 120 minutes as it actually won't be sustainable?

If they keep playing the way they do, of course skills will drop off badly as they tire. But the intention is that they won't sacrifice skills and fade outs in games - but instead adjust the way they play.

The intention isn't to make players fatigued for a laugh. It's to force a change to the way the game is played.
I know what it tries to do. I don’t think it’ll work.
Early in games, a team that presses will dominate a team that doesn’t. Later, as players who are pressing tire, they won’t be able to score as heavily as skills will drop off. But they can keep running fast enough to cover the ground and still stop opposition players from getting clean possession.

So in the past when, even though teams left forwads in position, the general tactic was to get three goals up then kill the contest by rucking up and down the boundary line, it was considered a fine spectacle

There have always been crap games, and probably the majority of games had/have at least one forgettable quarter.
Probably there always will be. Looking around it’s the nature of sport generally, unless you want WWF
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22213241/vince-mcmahon-gimmick-free-xfl-return-2020

It's not as silly as it sounds Pessimistic!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back