Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

I grew up in the southern suburbs (Reynella) and was 14yo in the early 80s.
Even we knew about the Green Dragon and what we could get there if we ever ventured into the city.
It's reputation was pretty wide spread.

Just for weed? Or were there other exotic products available?

I grew up in the southern suburbs (Reynella) and was 14yo in the early 80s.
Even we knew about the Green Dragon and what we could get there if we ever ventured into the city.
It's reputation was pretty wide spread.

I worked at the Dragon...

The most dangerous product you could get there were tequila shots on 'all you can drink for $10' nights..

I worked at the Dragon...

The most dangerous product you could get there were tequila shots on 'all you can drink for $10' nights..

lol no one is suggesting the venue itself was selling gear.

I'm pretty sure the place was shut down before Don Storen majorly refurbished it and opened it. Probably for at least six months.

Not sure it would've been easy for 14 year olds to score weed from any pub.
In the mid-90s, Producers (out the back in the beer garden) was the go-to for green if one's usual contacts were dry, at least for the eastern suburbs private school crowd. Not sure 14yos could have gotten in easily but 16 no problem. Allegedly.

the go-to for green if one's usual contacts were dry

You could get gear in most pubs in Adelaide in the 70s/80s but you generally had to chat to a few people (if you didn't already have a mate who was there). Not something any 14/15 year old could generally do.

As a barman at that time, just about anyone not known to you who looked under 20 got asked for ID and was immediately turfed out of a gay pub if they didn't have any. It would have been WAY too much hassle in terms of the licence. Imagine the headlines in the Tiser. "Gay pub gives underage teens access to grog and drugs." Cops came in quite regularly.

And this coming from a guy who got served in (straight) clubs from the age of 15.

Most of the drugs I scored though were from mates (mostly straight) in their own places though - not public places such as bars.

Last edited:
It was known that The Green Dragon was a place to buy drugs back then, someone I know who back then would at times be within the same crowd as Karl and his misses at the time after the murders. How long after I would have to ask and clarify but they cant remember who had told them or where they heard it from but Karl and Richard would apparently get their green from that hotel. Again this could be false as they cannot remember how they came to know of this but considering the circumstances that the use of weed was happening amongst this group, it could be a fact. If so is it possible Richard may have known his abductors?

A few questions I had for some of the members who may have far more extensive knowledge about these people back then...
Any additional information on MGL? He too was/is dealing in antiques.. just a coincidence that two gay middle aged men, both involved with antiques, cross paths, get together and start living in the same house.. Where did that connection come from? It’s mentioned Mr R had a younger partner.. is that MGL they are referring to or did they both have some open relationship with other men but just live under the same roof? (They have a joint antiques bizzo ABN separate from Mr. R's shop).
Can anyone also confirm if MGL lived at 14 Ralston St North Adelaide?
Does anyone know the name Peter T Perry and if so in what context?

and last one.. any information about Sammy the Seagull, who he was and if that person has/had been charged or known to be involved with what Ric Marshal was doing behind the scenes?
Richard and his mates were hanging around the record shops and pinball parlours, which were also frequented by those selling weed. IIFC Adelaide High kids were usually in the know about such things, as were, I would imagine, kids at an 'alternative' school. You didn't need to go to a pub - especially one which, as AdelaideGT says, was conscious of being on the police radar - to score.

Richard and his mates were hanging around the record shops and pinball parlours, which were also frequented by those selling weed.

Lol - I wish I'd known I could score at Allens or Umbrella Music back then. Probably not at 'The Muses' as the owner was a sour old f*ck..

Thinking of record shops (thanks Zebo) that reminds me that just about every Saturday morning, teenage me would go on a vinyl-crawl in the city to try and pick up the newest records.

Allans, Myers, David Jones, The Muses, John Martins, probably some I've forgotten, then up to Rundle STREET. It was like a routine for me back then lol.

I would sometimes catch the bus home unhappy if none of them had the songs - often seen on last week's Countdown or Sounds Unlimited - that I was after.

Could have scored from me at Krypton Discs in the 90s. Allegedly.

lol - where was that located?

Thinking of all these old places reminds me of the time I went to 'Joynt Venture' in Hindley St. I was probably 16/17 and had only been smoking dope for a year. I think my older mate (much more cool & experienced in all things) took me there so I could buy a pipe.

The guy behind the counter showed us a little square of incense and said 'you could probably sell this to some idiot as a block of hash'. He laughed. My mate laughed. I laughed too though actually I had no idea what they meant... lmao

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol - where was that located?

Thinking of all these old places reminds me of the time I went to 'Joynt Venture' in Hindley St. I was probably 16/17 and had only been smoking dope for a year. I think my older mate (much more cool & experienced in all things) took me there so I could buy a pipe.

The guy behind the counter showed us a little square of incense and said 'you could probably sell this to some idiot as a block of hash'. He laughed. My mate laughed. I laughed too though actually I had no idea what they meant... lmao

Hahaha! I remember Joynt Venture. My cousin sold a bag of basil to his neighbour for $25. That was a lot of money in the early 90s!

Krypton was in Glenelg, on the main strip.

Aaah, 90s Adelaide... Vego 'n' Lovin It! The Nostril (Austral). Crown & Anchor... Crown & Sceptre... Bull & Bear... Mars Bar... Sugar! CARGO!!!!!!

I'm guessing you're gay from your posts - did you go to the Bull & Bear nights with HMC playing?

Last edited:
Hahaha! I remember Joynt Venture. My cousin sold a bag of basil to his neighbour for $25. That was a lot of money in the early 90s!

Krypton was in Glenelg, on the main strip.

Aaah, 90s Adelaide... Vego 'n' Lovin It! The Nostril (Austral). Crown & Anchor... Crown & Sceptre... Bull & Bear... Mars Bar... Sugar! CARGO!!!!!!

I'm guessing you're gay from your posts - did you go to the Bull & Bear nights with HMC playing?

Joplins (sloppy Joppies)

Heaven

The Norwood

Church (light square after hours ecstasy days)

The Planet

Those clubs places at Marion shopping centre

Depends whether you were into bands or bopping I guess.

Can remember seeing INXS and Divinyls on one night at 'Pepper's Place' (The Bridgeway these days).

Also recall dancing with Jason Donovan (Groove is in the Heart might have been the song) at some place when he was filming something in SA. At the club on Light Square that used to be a church). What was it called? Was it Heaven?

Can remember seeing INXS and Divinyls on one night at 'Pepper's Place' (The Bridgeway these days).

Also recall dancing with Jason Donovan (Groove is in the Heart might have been the song) at some place when he was filming something in SA. At the club on Light Square that used to be a church). What was it called? Was it Heaven?
Heaven was part of the Newmarket, not sure it was ever a church. I think you're talking about the west side of the square. Was a seedy recovery when I was clubbing. Never went there, it was a different, er, demographic, when it was Recovery in the 90s.

Do you mean that no Neighbours stars went there?

Anyway Google tells me it was (perhaps unsurprisingly) called 'Church'...
Hahahahhaa when it was Recovery it was just a dive run by bikies for the purpose of selling more drugs to people who'd used it all up that night. Seedy AF. Jason? No. Craig maybe... (I kid)

The Synagogue was awesome.

Are you thinking of Rise , opened at 3am sat night

No. I've just realised the place I was talking about was called Regine's.

My memory is a bit hazy about those days but I think that is the same location.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back