Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
It's more because he didn't get a job at the club.
Really? If that's the case he's is really pathetic. From memory he started a Kubota franchise in Gippsland after he finished playing which would would have been much harder work than some cushy job with the club so not surprised.

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
Just got a message from a friend that he met ex Swan Alex Johnson who signed a ball for me. Love that he is still good to write "Go Swans"

I was going to write:

"I should think so.
He is and always will be a Swans premiership player, regardless of where he is currently working in footy."

But then I thought would I be happy with a North supporter approaching Horse as a Premiership Kangaroo, and Horse responding with "Go Roos"?

Would a North supporter be happy with Shaw saying "Go Swans"?

Of course they are all professional, but they understandably will have a soft spot for their old clubs. Earlier this year Horse attended the 20 year reunion of the North 1999 premiership; just like Roos attended the 10 year 2005 premiership reunion in 2015 while coach of Melbourne. And so they should.

Sheeds will always be a Tiger, and a Bomber, and a Giant, just like Matthews will always be a Hawk, a Magpie and a Lion.

I dunno what I'm waffling on about, but I thought your post raised an interesting question about the ethics/loyalties of explayers and coaches.

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
I suppose a better analogy is Stevie J signing a ball for a Cats supporter saying "Go Cats"
In the off season I'd have no problem with that: he is simply doing something nice for a supporter.
I wouldn't like it if he did it in season the day before we play Geelong.

I was going to write:

"I should think so.
He is and always will be a Swans premiership player, regardless of where he is currently working in footy."

But then I thought would I be happy with a North supporter approaching Horse as a Premiership Kangaroo, and Horse responding with "Go Roos"?

Would a North supporter be happy with Shaw saying "Go Swans"?

Of course they are all professional, but they understandably will have a soft spot for their old clubs. Earlier this year Horse attended the 20 year reunion of the North 1999 premiership; just like Roos attended the 10 year 2005 premiership reunion in 2015 while coach of Melbourne. And so they should.

Sheeds will always be a Tiger, and a Bomber, and a Giant, just like Matthews will always be a Hawk, a Magpie and a Lion.

I dunno what I'm waffling on about, but I thought your post raised an interesting question about the ethics/loyalties of explayers and coaches.

Alex was actually doing something related at QBE so must still have some involvement via the sponsorship or knows someone there who called in a favour.

To be fair I don’t know exactly but he went for a drink with my mate and was conveyed that he is a super guy. My mate would of mentioned my love for the Swans and Alex obliged with a signature on a small footy. I will post a pic.

I was always a fan but it’s great to hear something good about our past players even if something pretty minor like this.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Alex was actually doing something related at QBE so must still have some involvement via the sponsorship or knows someone there who called in a favour.

To be fair I don’t know exactly but he went for a drink with my mate and was conveyed that he is a super guy. My mate would of mentioned my love for the Swans and Alex obliged with a signature on a small footy. I will post a pic.

I was always a fan but it’s great to hear something good about our past players even if something pretty minor like this.
I think I've posted a lot about AJ and he is a legend on or off the ground.

swans.jpg

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Barry Hall might actually kill Paul Gallen this weekend. I want to watch, but I certainly don't want to pay. :p

1573797947736.png

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Barry Hall might actually kill Paul Gallen this weekend. I want to watch, but I certainly don't want to pay. :p

View attachment 779602
Hes a scary looking dude, especially when you see him in action. Gallen has no chance, especially considering the weight and reach differentials.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Hes a scary looking dude, especially when you see him in action. Gallen has no chance, especially considering the weight and reach differentials.

Weighed in about the same surprisingly, about 1.5 kg different - sounds like each had their chance to win it. Surprised Hall didn't knock him out TBH - but Gallen's had 7 pro fights to Hall's none, and is built to take a hit so... Very surprised to see pics of Gallen actually landing a few on Hall's chin. Thought Barry would keep him well at bay with his reach.

A rematch and another 700k each it is then...;)

The Cats have decided they have no hope of a Premiership in the next two years. They have extended Rohan's contract to 2021.

Very happy for Rohan, looked pretty good for the Cats throughout the year. I'm sure they will be thereabouts again. Shame you have such a low opinion of him but that's your thing.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Very happy for Rohan, looked pretty good for the Cats throughout the year. I'm sure they will be thereabouts again. Shame you have such a low opinion of him but that's your thing.
Rohan was his usual self.

He only went over 10 possessions in a game just 5 times in 19 games on 2019. In the first half of the year he had four games with 3 or 4 goals, but in the last 10 games he averaged half a goal a game.

Consistently low possession. Inconsistently high impact on those possessions. I'm not losing any sleep over him not being in our list anymore.

Rohan was his usual self.

He only went over 10 possessions in a game just 5 times in 19 games on 2019. In the first half of the year he had four games with 3 or 4 goals, but in the last 10 games he averaged half a goal a game.

Consistently low possession. Inconsistently high impact on those possessions. I'm not losing any sleep over him not being in our list anymore.

Like I said I’m happy for him He clearly carried an injury in the last half of the year. His game output is clear for all to see. Glad he is continuing his career as he can light up a game. I Followed his personal tragedy as we were expecting at the same time and really felt for him (as I’m sure all Swans fans did) Don’t understand why people can’t just let go of the negativity towards him.

Back