Media The Fred Diaries - The Victory Lap

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
cSEF9jy.gif

When I began this thread at the beginning of season 33, I expected to give the fine citizens of Sweet an insight into what goes on behind the scenes in my pursuit of the Fred Medal. I had some nice ideas and graphics lined up but, alas, it was not to be as real life and some genuinely pathetic performances derailed any motivation I had to progress further than week 1. It all came crashing to a halt faster the Daniel Ricciardo's Formula 1 career.

But as they say in the classics - when at first you don't succeed, try, try again. And try I did. DenieD was kind enough to give me another run at full forward and my shameless badge pursuit was on again.

Now I know I haven't maintained a diary throughout the season but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story here. Larry Bird, the Hall of Fame Boston Celtics legend and one of the greatest shooters of all time, famously walked into the locker room before the 1988 NBA All-Star Three Point Contest and asked the other players in the room, some of the best shooters going around, "who's going to come second?" Larry had the game to back it up and promptly won the contest.

I'm no Larry Bird but with one home and away round to go in season 34, the engravers are already etching my name onto this season's Fred Medal.

So sit back and enjoy a week of highlights as I (finally) take you through my Fred Medal run.

cSEF9jy.gif

When I began this thread at the beginning of season 33, I expected to give the fine citizens of Sweet an insight into what goes on behind the scenes in my pursuit of the Fred Medal. I had some nice ideas and graphics lined up but, alas, it was not to be as real life and some genuinely pathetic performances derailed any motivation I had to progress further than week 1. It all came crashing to a halt faster the Daniel Ricciardo's Formula 1 career.

But as they say in the classics - when at first you don't succeed, try, try again. And try I did. DenieD was kind enough to give me another run at full forward and my shameless badge pursuit was on again.

Now I know I haven't maintained a diary throughout the season but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story here. Larry Bird, the Hall of Fame Boston Celtics legend and one of the greatest shooters of all time, famously walked into the locker room before the 1988 NBA All-Star Three Point Contest and asked the other players in the room, some of the best shooters going around, "who's going to come second?" Larry had the game to back it up and promptly won the contest.

I'm no Larry Bird but with one home and away round to go in season 34, the engravers are already etching my name onto this season's Fred Medal.

So sit back and enjoy a week of highlights as I (finally) take you through my Fred Medal run.
Commence with the Fredding.

zUKrjJU.gif

759E00B5-C507-4E57-B8F5-2B09CFBDE45C.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Fred is nice and all, but it doesn't compare to the Defenders' Club.

Back six get the chicks.

The badges disappear for months at a time yet the provocative advertisements are there day in, day out
Are there eligible single women in your area too?

The badges disappear for months at a time yet the provocative advertisements are there day in, day out
At least you can ad block those, few years ago this board was being spammed with JOIN KAYO threads.

At least you can ad block those, few years ago this board was being spammed with JOIN KAYO threads.
Almost as bad as the time eAFL was shoved down our throats...

A great award for selfish qootballers.

One wonders why some clubs struggle!

True.

Hubris is the commonality between FFs. Only the famously humble Bonz and wallflower champion Tarkyn_24 break the stereotype.

Otherwise it is The Barry Wizard, OkeyBarry7 and Itsmybarry.

Even you were not immune, carrying on like BARRYALLTHRU after once snagging 11 a few seasons back. I recall a misconceived thread you set up. It arguably jinxed you in a GF.

I wonder if Baz and the Gumbies as they enter the Finals will learn the lessons, be smart and play Baz in a Back Pocket.

True.

Hubris is the commonality between FFs. Only the famously humble Bonz and wallflower champion Tarkyn_24 break the stereotype.

Even you were not immune, carrying on like BARRYALLTHRU after once snagging 11 a few seasons back. I recall a misconceived thread you set up. It arguably jinxed you in a GF.

I wonder if Baz and the Gumbies as they enter the Finals will learn the lessons, be smart and play Baz in a Back Pocket.
If I've learned anything during my time in Sweet its that it doesn't matter where I play, the Gumbies go out in straight sets.

True.

This does present a great chance for the Gumbies to try a few things. You know, see how players go in different positions and the like. For the team's sake.

DenieD

Rounds 1 & 2
8A1WTvG.gif

Winter is too long. Especially when you're coming off a poor season. You just want to get back on the park and show everyone you can get the job done.

I came eighth place in the Fred last season with 59 goals. Bonz won with 70 goals so I knew I was going to have to seriously up my game this season if I was going to have a shot at adding to my badge collection. Either that or have Dory_77 traded midseason.

We had a road trip to Spotswood to start season 34 to play against Sweet's newest club, Ophidian Old Boys FFC. Bonz moved there in the offseason so I was keen to start the season with a bag. I lined on my old skipper, BRAB, so it was going to be no easy task. Unfortunately we got off to an horrific start - no goals in the first quarter for the season! Meanwhile, Bonz kicks four at the other end. Shades of season 33 all over again. I got on the board with a couple in the second quarter but we got smashed again after that. Bonz finished with 8! Talk about a lousy start to the season.

We hosted the Warriors in our first home game of the season in round 2. When I woke up and saw the forecast was warm I was rubbing my hands together. Time to kick a bag!

It was mirror image start to the week before as I kicked two goals in the first quarter as my Gumbies jumped out of the starting blocks while the Warriors were still going through security. We bagged another five goals in the second term but I couldn't get on the scoreboard as our midfielders drifted forward and kicked goals for themselves. Selfish bastards.

Third quarter though - it was BARRY TIME!

Rich (BB code):
Third Quarter :
1.2 - Goal to Barrybran (GUM) - GUM by 48 point(s).
2.07 - Rushed behind to GUM - GUM by 49 point(s).
2.35 - Goal to Barrybran (GUM) - GUM by 55 point(s).
4.13 - Behind to Catsnlakers (GUM) - GUM by 56 point(s).
4.37 - Goal to Barrybran (GUM) - GUM by 62 point(s).
5.35 - Goal to Barrybran (GUM) - GUM by 68 point(s).
6.2 - Behind to Cesoir (CIW) - GUM by 67 point(s).
6.52 - Behind to Piggy Smalls (CIW) - GUM by 66 point(s).
9.38 - Goal to Barrybran (GUM) - GUM by 72 point(s).

I singlehandedly ended the Warriors season. Right. There. Game over, folks. The coach felt sorry for the Wazzas so he put BlueE on in my place for the rest of the game. But I was back!

******* Bonz though. He kicked seven goals too.

This does present a great chance for the Gumbies to try a few things. You know, see how players go in different positions and the like. For the team's sake.

DenieD
I have a secret strategy that I will not reveal until the finals team sheet is due.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back