The General Gym Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: You Must Train Like This In 2012

That's true, but I place faith in the professionals when they tell me they'll fix it if I stop training and see them.

My training is 100% better than it has ever been though, in terms of having correct posture, placing weight evenly through the hips etc.

I tell you what, I'll book in before the end of Feb.

Im still baffled. Unless you were playing in some special dwarf league where you were one of the taller dwarfs it would be literally comical seeing you about waist height on 9 out of 10 CHF's... Just sayin.

So it is the dwarf league? In which case it isn't comical that they didn't kick it to them... On the dwarf scale I would imagine you would be quite tall.

When you were at the AIS did you tell all of those silly sport scientists with PhD's that their advice is useless because you know your body better than anyone? And that their qualifications are a crock?

Don't confuse sport science degrees with the nimrods who do their 2 week PT degree and now think they're experts on the human body. 90% still wouldn't know their arse from their elbow. You'll still find very good PT's though without a uni degree or even some old school PT's with literally almost a lifetime of experience, though they are few and far between.

Well no, because i was 15 16 17 and i didnt really know much or have an opinion. But we agree, Sports Science/Human Movement Degree is 1 billion times better then a PT cert, if you went to a footy club, like AFL and asked to be a trainer with a PT it would be laughed at, even a local club. Point is they mean nothing so why are people training people, many with injuries on how to train when most of them dont even no how to themselves.

When you are in the AIS they actually hook you up with all the gadgets and all that jazz so every workout is specifically designed for you, and they have all the computer stuff and it will see how your individual workout went to ensure maximum efficiency. Its actually really cool, very common in AFL now. Every workout is scientifically designed and monitored to you! Which links to my comment, thing is local footy or personal trainers obviously dont know how to use the equipment but dont have the resource which brings it back to the guessing or this says this approach. To change your current physique is extremely hard, even if you think you are doing all the right things, hence why 99% of the people never change and the ones that do cannot generally honestly tell you how they did it. Mate my footy went know were from AIS days, i had 3 very sever illness's in 3 years, one of them i had to learn how to walk again but it was such a great experience to understand how things are done.

Also at local club i was playing for in the TAC i was having 1 on 2 sessions with the clubs AFL side with there 2 head conditioning coaches which was really cool aswell, learnt alot and based an opinion.

john - my mistake, you quoted a post from someone else, i thought it was the same person...you went on about that training doesn't matter and geneitcs do as if you didn't have good enough genes then don't worry...then you brought up quals which i don't rate either (the pt related one's), i do my down research and apply it with clients and myself...everyone is different but there are many "facts" to training such as 1 - 3 reps at 90%+ will build max strength...i'm not sure why you're b;laming me for the fitness industry, i didnlt wreck it, aif/fitness first did...yep i earn 30k/yr, been getting dole payments to pay my internet bill to post on here...i know the status quick quals now, don't worry, i'm about to interview 5 of them to employ...my course was 4 days a week x 2 years, not that i think that matters as i said i don't use any of it...and stretching? obviously depends on what people need it for but if you must know i favor the old school static stretching

Mate no hard feelings, its clear we are both passionate about an area of life we both love and intense about. In winter i am employed 7 days a week to coach and play football, its the best life ever as id do it for free! Mix that with uni and your going places!. Im just one of those unique stories as i was always the skinny kid and through extreme sacrifice and discipline i gained over 35kg which for a "hard gainer" is always an excuse not to! So as a result my views can be unique in there own due to this! I have always had the belief and understanding that you can do whatever you want in your life, atm i am getting ready for pre season and i will ask a kid who might get drafted next year if he wants to go for a kick at 7 o clock at night and he replies " nah its not football time, its me time". and i thought, if you want to be the best you have a chance to increase your skills but your not! Dont have to look back as far as gary ablett jnr to see this, was going no were in his career, knuckled down and now one of the best of all time! If i had training partners id go do a skill session now at 11.20pm! thats how intense and driven i am and willing to make a sacrifice! But thats me personally and generally flows into there training attitude hence s**t results! Mixed with poor diet choices and poor training intensity and choices!

The reason as i asked you about stretching was because when ever i stretch i get sore or injured, like if i stretch a quad before a leg session ill strain a quad. I have seeked medical advice about this and they have told me it can be common. Thats why i asked you, i asked a pt at the gym and he gave me this hanus stretching program and ensured me it was best for me, when clearly individually it wasnt. Ive read some journals aswell about people who say the same thing, there body reacts negatively to stretching and stretching is not good ect you have to do this instead blah blah blah, but also you hear alot of people say how they swear by stretching, again a individual thing. I dont know anyone else personally who injures themselves from stretching but i always do, same with groin, i stretched a groin once during uni prac and 4 hours later at gym i did lunges and strained my groin. I have had the lucky experience of training with elite of the elite athletes in the world in there time, afl sports conditioning coaches and afl coaches and from my own experience i have built the view of the individuality thing which is the biggest reason the fitness industry makes money, because its the unkown and they can keep selling you stuff that will work, but what they said wont 6 months ago! but that explanation has 1 million parts to it.

Its like supplements, such as protein. i maintain a physique at 179cm at 96kg 8.7% bodyfat and have no taken protein or creatine for 5 years. I recently got down to 88kg as i was trying to get smaller and got back to 96 in 40 days due to good food. Alot of kids think taking protein is the key and spend money on it, and none of them get any bigger or stronger. And i beleif it is because they dont eat well so all they get is protein and there body is using that protein as energy , not what they think they are using it for.

One thing thats also concerning as i deal with alot of children from prep-18, but my concern is mainly with the teenagers is the amount of kids asking me about taking steroids (footballers/sportsman)! its amasing, it appears there is a cult following of guys who are clearly on steroids and kids now want to look like them and willing to take drugs because these guys do. its also a concern when they are working casual jobs and spending all there money on $600 stacks from the supplement store and after a year they dont look any different!

Well no, because i was 15 16 17 and i didnt really know much or have an opinion. But we agree, Sports Science/Human Movement Degree is 1 billion times better then a PT cert, if you went to a footy club, like AFL and asked to be a trainer with a PT it would be laughed at, even a local club. Point is they mean nothing so why are people training people, many with injuries on how to train when most of them dont even no how to themselves.

When you are in the AIS they actually hook you up with all the gadgets and all that jazz so every workout is specifically designed for you, and they have all the computer stuff and it will see how your individual workout went to ensure maximum efficiency. Its actually really cool, very common in AFL now. Every workout is scientifically designed and monitored to you! Which links to my comment, thing is local footy or personal trainers obviously dont know how to use the equipment but dont have the resource which brings it back to the guessing or this says this approach. To change your current physique is extremely hard, even if you think you are doing all the right things, hence why 99% of the people never change and the ones that do cannot generally honestly tell you how they did it. Mate my footy went know were from AIS days, i had 3 very sever illness's in 3 years, one of them i had to learn how to walk again but it was such a great experience to understand how things are done.

Also at local club i was playing for in the TAC i was having 1 on 2 sessions with the clubs AFL side with there 2 head conditioning coaches which was really cool aswell, learnt alot and based an opinion.

we've had uni qual'ed pt's before and they aren't the greatest either some of them, and if you're classing me as one of "those" pt's then you're sorely mistaken

i was implenting glute activation 4 years before collingwood were even onto it, the supposably best in australia at sports science, another reason why I've never had a soft tissue

i have read more then 99% of all pt's, i actually have almost 500 pages of stuff to read that I've copied from the net in the last couple of months that i hope i get time to get to very soon before it gets too long and although I don't have all the gadgets, they don't ensure success (nathan buckley's hamstring being a perfect example)

i can any client, hell i could get you bigger, stronger, faster or leaner without them, quicker then most if compliance is good enough

The reason as i asked you about stretching was because when ever i stretch i get sore or injured, like if i stretch a quad before a leg session ill strain a quad. I have seeked medical advice about this and they have told me it can be common. Thats why i asked you, i asked a pt at the gym and he gave me this hanus stretching program and ensured me it was best for me, when clearly individually it wasnt. Ive read some journals aswell about people who say the same thing, there body reacts negatively to stretching and stretching is not good ect you have to do this instead blah blah blah, but also you hear alot of people say how they swear by stretching, again a individual thing. I dont know anyone else personally who injures themselves from stretching but i always do, same with groin, i stretched a groin once during uni prac and 4 hours later at gym i did lunges and strained my groin. I have had the lucky experience of training with elite of the elite athletes in the world in there time, afl sports conditioning coaches and afl coaches and from my own experience i have built the view of the individuality thing which is the biggest reason the fitness industry makes money, because its the unkown and they can keep selling you stuff that will work, but what they said wont 6 months ago! but that explanation has 1 million parts to it.

think when most people strain a muscle what happens? they stretch too far bending, twisting etc. So what do they do to fix it? they try to stretch it, the same way they did the injury in the first place!! if you're straining a quad i don't think it's from the stretching alone, it's overuse - that's how strains occur - from too much work...why is it doing too much work? because something else isn't...in this case i'd say the glutes

the individuality thing is great in the perfect world of professional sports but what are regular folk to do? nothing because they can't get that individual focus like that? i can look a person move and know what's weak, what's tight, what will be prone to injury and what won't be working at all...i'd say that's pretty individual

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bull.

s**t.

Pics or lies.
Beleive it or not, i know what i am and what the scales/bodyfat skin folding tests say. I dont have to prove that to you as i know thats the fact! For the last 7 years i have based my life around training/ preparation, amasing what you can do with yourself when you are willing to make the sacrifice! I socialize, but i do not go out clubbing, ever! I never eat junk and i weigh all my meals and ensure i eat every 2 hours! And also when i started at 63kg, because i am naturally lean i have no trouble keeping fat off!I have not drunk any alcohol either for 7 years! Those numbers i have now are good but in bodybuilding terms with the local elite they are not that good, i know one guy whos like 6 foot 2 110kg and hes as lean during a bulk as he is when he cuts! Chances are he is on some sort of drug but!

Beleive it or not, i know what i am and what the scales/bodyfat skin folding tests say. I dont have to prove that to you as i know thats the fact! For the last 7 years i have based my life around training/ preparation, amasing what you can do with yourself when you are willing to make the sacrifice! I socialize, but i do not go out clubbing, ever! I never eat junk and i weigh all my meals and ensure i eat every 2 hours! And also when i started at 63kg, because i am naturally lean i have no trouble keeping fat off!I have not drunk any alcohol either for 7 years! Those numbers i have now are good but in bodybuilding terms with the local elite they are not that good, i know one guy whos like 6 foot 2 110kg and hes as lean during a bulk as he is when he cuts! Chances are he is on some sort of drug but!

You would have Arnie like mass at those stats. Arnie was what, 110kg and 3-4 inches taller then you?

No roids, no protein? No way.

does a sound a bit outlandish, those claims i'll agree...
I dont think my glutes are week, i do alot of squating and stiff legging deadlift, infact my legs are my strongest and biggest feature, i only deadlift part time recently but i can stiff legged 230kg for 5 reps however only squat around 100kg for 6 reps as i go ass to floor and is alot harder if you squat properly, and i also have 45 seconds rest! And enjoy doing them in drop sets!

Its amasing how you can be really strong in certain movements, for example when i was 18 i was about 75kg and i could bar dip with a belt and 75kg added to the bar with ease, like 12 reps...before i went to a gym i had a dip bar at home and would do 200 a day lol...what are your best big lift movements? (not that amount of weight lifted matters)

You would have Arnie like mass at those stats. Arnie was what, 110kg and 3-4 inches taller then you?

No roids, no protein? No way.
Never taken drugs in my life, letalone steroids, never have never will! Test me! I bet you 1 million dollars ill be clean, wait you dont have 1 million dollars.

If arnie was 110kg that would of been during comp, he would of been 130kg off season, also arnie is a freak of nature and was on drugs! Well funny cos the guy i was telling you about, mind you who is probly on drugs is 110kg at arnies height haha, but hes a bit smaller from what i could imagine....but still massive in local society! but i find it very hard to belive arnie was only 110kg....again IF so has to be during comp, thing you have to realize is back in the 70s bodybuilding was a art, not a bigger is better! if you go back further into the 60s and 50s alot of the bodybuilders had incredible looking stomachs and were very big however were also very light considering these days!

I dont think my glutes are week, i do alot of squating and stiff legging deadlift, infact my legs are my strongest and biggest feature, i only deadlift part time recently but i can stiff legged 230kg for 5 reps however only squat around 100kg for 6 reps as i go ass to floor and is alot harder if you squat properly, and i also have 45 seconds rest! And enjoy doing them in drop sets!

Its amasing how you can be really strong in certain movements, for example when i was 18 i was about 75kg and i could bar dip with a belt and 75kg added to the bar with ease, like 12 reps...before i went to a gym i had a dip bar at home and would do 200 a day lol...what are your best big lift movements? (not that amount of weight lifted matters)

squatting isn't the best glute worker, they only train the glutes in a stretch position which causes the most muscle damage so they might feel sore but it doesn't mean they've done much...and if you're using your lower back too much then you cans till lift a ton but not use the correct muscles...your core strength must be non existent if you can rdl 230 but only squat 100

i have reached double bodyweight in squats and deads in the past (last 9 months), benched 1.5 x bw, chin up w/ 40kgs strapped to me but what's a world record lift if it doesn't make me faster? nothing

i'm all about transferring strength to the field, not keeping it in the wt room

squatting isn't the best glute worker, they only train the glutes in a stretch position which causes the most muscle damage so they might feel sore but it doesn't mean they've done much...and if you're using your lower back too much then you cans till lift a ton but not use the correct muscles...your core strength must be non existent if you can rdl 230 but only squat 100

i have reached double bodyweight in squats and deads in the past (last 9 months), benched 1.5 x bw, chin up w/ 40kgs strapped to me but what's a world record lift if it doesn't make me faster? nothing

i'm all about transferring strength to the field, not keeping it in the wt room

I dont know about core being week due to squat numbers, i have biggest legs in the gym but i squat properly, i have never tried to squat big numbers. I have very taxing and sufficient leg workouts squatting even 46kg including the bar! High first 2 set reps plus 30 second rest is a killer....while going ass to floor! As for core it is not as strong as it should be as i have never trained it as well as i should....but its something in the last few months i have actually been focusing on! as for rdl form, i dont bend my back at all, i learnt from a national champion powerlifter and it was probly the best thing i could of done because no one previously could teach me. With your whats a world record for if you cant get faster! mate its same with the whole "bodybuilding sport" who cares if you look good if you cant play footy or even run lol....who cares if you look good in the mirror for 1 hour a day! In ten years time people wont remember the guy who was a tank in the gym, but they remember who won that grand final!

You dont want to die and think, gee i looked good in mirror, or lifted 1 0000 kg but hey i was s**t at footy, or even better didnt even play.

Yeah you vicotrians, queenslanders and sydney goers get it tough with the heat*

*I live in perth and my usual summer weight training is done in 35 degree heat

Yeah you vicotrians, queenslanders and sydney goers get it tough with the heat*

*I live in perth and my usual summer weight training is done in 35 degree heat
Wow man you're my hero.

If you want to turn it into some sort of competition.
Average highs by month
Perth: Dec 28.8, Jan 30.8, Feb 31.3
Wagga (my hometown): Dec 29.4, Jan 31.6, Feb 30.9.

Also not sure why you had a go at queenslanders when its hot all year round there. :confused:

I actually reckon we've had a cool summer so far up here. It's been good, I hate the hot.

Am currently cutting - just a regular one this time, no keto, but it'll all be pretty short lived again as I head off to Thailand in February (now that'll be hot!)

Chest and Tri's tonight. Haven't isolated tri's in ages (nor bi's) as they get plenty stimulation through chest workouts (and back for bi's obviously) and I've always remained happy with their size. Going to venture down the glorly muscle road for a few weeks though and see if I can get a bit of extra size in the arms. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back