The General Gym Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw thiis in the front of Mark Riptoe book I just started reading:

"The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

- Henry Rollins :)

got a bad virus, can barely eat and can't train

feel like i'm wasting away :(
I had a week of that not long ago. First 2 sessions were below what I was at. Next two were back to normal. And next two I actually went ahead.
All isn't lost bro, hope you get better quick though :thumbsu:

Nice thread... I likey..

Well I'm back. Got into Melbourne on Friday arvo and couldn't wait to head the shops to stack up on my foods and then my first gym session yesterday.

Was very surprised that after 5 weeks my strength was still very similar, the only thing holding me back was no very poor stamina. I felt my sets were cut short not from muscle failure but instead because I was just out of breath.

I can't wait to get back into routine - Off now to cook some chicken, rice and broccoli :)

Can't even force feed myself now, almost been a month. Think I'll try and get appetite stimulants or something

Bloody hell I wish haha. I just eat the crap out of everything. Without training I'd be a beach whale for sure. :eek:

Re: You Must Train Like This In 2012

There's a guy at my gym who's always getting shafted for equipment.

It's happened a few times, I've noticed because the first time was with me a few weeks back.

I was using a piece of equipment (Lat Rows, from memory), put my towel down and get to get a drink. When I came back he was taking the 20kg plates from it, he saw me and said "Oh you weren't using this were you?" I said "Yep, sorry mate." He put them back on and was fine about it, somewhat embarrassed.

Since then, three times now he's had something stole from him, in reverse, only he doesn't say anything.

Last night he set up a bench, walked off, when he came back another guy had started a set. The guy looked close to tears!

Then to top it off, the guy using "his" bench asked him for a spot for the remainder of the session (~ 30mins).

Made me laugh, in a sadistic kind of way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: You Must Train Like This In 2012

I can't stand ignorant people.. I've had blokes who have seen me lunging in a certain area, just chuck some weights down there, or get out one of the mats and place it down...

My anger towards them shows when I tell them to move out the way!

Gym The General Gym Discussion Thread

Last night he set up a bench, walked off, when he came back another guy had started a set. The guy looked close to tears!

That's his problem... You don't put up with that!

My mate once unloaded some douche's bench as he'd been chatting to a girl for over 10 minutes, we waited long enough and wanted to do bench press together. This guy ran over and went nuts, my mate pointed to the gym etiquette list on the wall and said... 'Got a problem?' The guy lost his s**t and stormed away yelling some rubbish, didn't see him for weeks after that. Got the blood boiling though, great start to a workout!! ;-)

Gym The General Gym Discussion Thread

I had the foam padding nicked off the squat bar while I was just turned the other way, stretching the other week - my towel + bottle were on/inside the rack. Someone must've snuck up, pinched it, and gone.
There was a spare one on the floor, 2 machines along.
Very odd, the lengths people will go to.

Re: Gym The General Gym Discussion Thread

That's his problem... You don't put up with that!
No I know, I personally don't.

I don't overly feel sorry for him because he doesn't do himself any favours, I just find it kind of funny.
My mate once unloaded some douche's bench as he'd been chatting to a girl for over 10 minutes, we waited long enough and wanted to do bench press together. This guy ran over and went nuts, my mate pointed to the gym etiquette list on the wall and said... 'Got a problem?' The guy lost his s**t and stormed away yelling some rubbish, didn't see him for weeks after that. Got the blood boiling though, great start to a workout!! ;-)
Yeah that shits me.

I remember I walked over to a machine once, a guy came over and just stared at me. Despite there being no weights on there, I habitually said "oh, were you using this?" and he goes "yeah".

I paused, not wanting a confrontation, and said "oh ok, there weren't any weights so it didn't look like it, sorry." He completely ignored me and started stacking the weights.

I walked off, thinking "maybe he was using it, I dunno".

Then he did one set, before walking off and using another machine. I gave it a few minutes, watching to see if he came back. When he did two more sets on the other machine without even looking at the original machine, I thought "must be done", so I walked back over, put on more weight (to prove a point, partly) and did a set.

Again, he came over and looked at me, trying to nudge past. I cracked it like a child, and said, heart racing, "mate you're taking the piss aren't you?" He didn't say anything and tried to use it, so I just said "sorry, I'll let you know when I'm done" and he walked off.

I dunno, maybe he was foreign or something, but it was bizarre. I still don't know whether he was trying to be a twat.

Re: Gym The General Gym Discussion Thread

I had the foam padding nicked off the squat bar while I was just turned the other way, stretching the other week - my towel + bottle were on/inside the rack. Someone must've snuck up, pinched it, and gone.
There was a spare one on the floor, 2 machines along.
Very odd, the lengths people will go to.
[YOUTUBE]IYfS-Wsg6QM[/YOUTUBE]

Yeh, doing circuits, especially on popular equipment is pretty dodge.

They need to work in with people using them properly rather than expect to be able to reserve 3-4 machines all for themselves.

---

On other matters, this week has had PB's on all 4 lifts (75kg bw).

5 x 45 DB bench press (+2.5)
7 x 107.5 squat (+2.5)
5 x 65 Standing OHP (+2.5)

and today smashed out:

5 x 160 dead-lift (+5.0)

Yeh, doing circuits, especially on popular equipment is pretty dodge.

They need to work in with people using them properly rather than expect to be able to reserve 3-4 machines all for themselves.

---

On other matters, this week has had PB's on all 4 lifts (75kg bw).

5 x 45 DB bench press (+2.5)
7 x 107.5 squat (+2.5)
5 x 65 Standing OHP (+2.5)

and today smashed out:

5 x 160 dead-lift (+5.0)

How long have you been lifting for? And how tall are you?

Edit. Disregard.. looked up your profile.

Impressive lifting. :thumbsu:

On my previous dead-lift PR's i've really struggled on the last 2 or 3 reps.

This one i only struggled on the last rep, and it wasnt really a struggle/strain just extra-effort than the previous reps.

Hoping next friday to hit 165 (4-5 reps).

Itll be 6 weeks on Sunday since I've been able to lift or run.

Body fat's up, muscle's way down, strength's non existent, pain and incorrect posture's still there.

Looking like yet another year to write off, another 6 months spent just trying to make up lost ground.

So sick of this.

you can rebuild yourself pretty quickly and the pain should dissipate once your able to train again and strengthen up those weak area's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back