Preview The Greatest Ever Controversy In Sport - Round 3 vs Bravedogs

What is the greatest ever controversy in sport?

• Lance Armstrong

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • OJ Simpson

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Tonya Harding

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Hand Of God (Maridona)

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (Vestrappen Win)

• 2016 Bravedogs (Oh so brave)

Votes: 59 89.4%
  • Other

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found it since I have referenced it twice. Credit to Lsta062

8218a745-b6a6-4e5b-9859-c35da9617fa2-png.1354656
9 from in front vs 4 from in front.
Telling.

I'd be okay if I never heard the term "expected score" ever again. Seriously I had never heard of it before last week, then two of this year's expected contenders have bad losses despite leading in certain statistical categories and suddenly we're scrambling to explain it and define the phenomena.
Yep, it is a s**t term and s**t concept

But expected score IS something the side can improve on! :) Having more i50s, more scoring shots, etc. will increase our expected score and highlights for the side an area they can improve on. We won't kick that straight every week, so having more i50s and more scoring shots will guard against that.
Einstein

Because..?
I enjoy stats and xG works particularly well in Soccer because it is quite low scoring in comparison to Aussie Rules.

In Aussie Rules xG is almost like doing the same in basketball, high scoring sports in comparison.

This is just my synopsis, but there are far too many variables in footy than soccer.

Eg - in footy scoreboard pressure is real, as in where there is less pressure to score, (leading by 36pts), players have a knack to score more difficult goals. The same is true in reverse. How many times does a team get the yips, Geelong last week was a prime example, multiple missed efforts which inflated the xG but I donā€™t think is a fair reflection on the game.

Good stat for soccer not for footy.

I enjoy stats and xG works particularly well in Soccer because it is quite low scoring in comparison to Aussie Rules.

In Aussie Rules xG is almost like doing the same in basketball, high scoring sports in comparison.

This is just my synopsis, but there are far too many variables in footy than soccer.

Eg - in footy scoreboard pressure is real, as in where there is less pressure to score, (leading by 36pts), players have a knack to score more difficult goals. The same is true in reverse. How many times does a team get the yips, Geelong last week was a prime example, multiple missed efforts which inflated the xG but I donā€™t think is a fair reflection on the game.

Good stat for soccer not for footy.

Sure, and that's why I said it probably needs to be refined (although I don't know the exact formula used), but the essence of the stat is still rather informative.

Btw the more I think of it, the more tonight really is a free hit for Sydney.

There is so much pressure on the bravedogs, imagine going 0-3, would be fantastic! Slightly reminds me of our 2017 start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back