Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not? Had as many batsmen left as they had reviews. It was also only hitting leg.

First time I've seen Cam Green in action and I was disgusted.

How can that 21 year old giant have all that talent?

Batting average of 55 in first class cricket and spitting balls off a length at 135 to 140km/h from about 3m in the air. His action is basically perfect in that he maximises almost every cm of his reach (without having watched any footage of Joel Garner recently that what he reminds me of). He will only get quicker as he gets stronger too.

It took 15 years but our post-Flintoff-2005 Ashes prayers looks like they have been answered and then upgraded.

Does India have injury problems at the moment? When did their top 6 starting looking mediocre?
It was shown hitting middle and leg. That was absolutely dead.

If he'd chosen AFL he was touted to be a first round draft choice too.

I thought that Hazleweood one was middle and leg and the Starc one was leg only? Maybe I've got them the wrong way around.
Hazlewood was middle and Starc was middle and leg.

Cummins has found an extra 3 to 5 km each delivery.

He's just bowled something like an 8 over spell at a minimum speed of about 141km.

He looks so much more dangerous at this speed.

Green ultra impressive, too. Trundling and bowling low 140s into the pitch, getting balls to spit off a length and wobble through the air.

Sri Lanka picked 6 recognised bowlers/allrounders in their side, four of them are now injured. Karunaratne, Mendis, Chandimal, Dickwella and Perera have 7 FC wickets between them. Perera hasn't bowled in professional cricket.

Pucovski starting to play some shots. Bit of luck but looks good
First drop should be taken at FC level, let alone test match.

Absolutely gobsmacked he didn't say "I dropped it" for the second. There was no way it wouldn't get overturned on replay

Think Warner is still an automatic inclusion off last years home series and came in for Burns. New boy came in for Head with Wade moving back down to the middle order. It is good to see some young talent in the team.
I don’t disagree. Just thought he looked a bit proppy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pucovski looks to have the extra time Smith has.

Blocking good balls on off/outside is just effortless.

The short stuff is a worry because it looks reactive. A plan to go hard without any real thought.

Needs a barrage from Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood and Green in the nets to sort out an actual plan for when to take the short ball on.

Wish he'd hit the ball a bit harder but I'd expect that to come as he sorts his game out. I think this is his fourth match opening. There is immense pressure on the kid.

Chris Rogers gives a really good insight into what it takes to play against the new ball to reduce the scope for getting out. I think it's part of the reason Pucovski looks so solid, he's tight and playing within himself.

He looks every bit the prodigy he promised to be. Wouldn't worry about a batsman needing to sort a few thing out still inside 30 first class matches, especially while also averaging 50.

Last edited:
There is a good chance we'll look back on this test series as one of the most important played in recent times.

We've got two "generational" batting talents into the side and exposed them to a good quality Indian bowling attack which is now 2 quicks deeper than it was a month ago.

Gill looks good at the top of the order. Shama looks completely different and capable of fulfilling his considerable talent at test level.

It's like this is the dress rehersal for the real thing which happens next year or the year after.

Sharma, Gill, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Pant, Jadeja, Ashwin, Bumra, Shami, Yadav/Sharma/Siraj/Saini

-vs-

Warner, Pucovski, Labuschange, Smith, #5, Green, Paine/Carey, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood

When we next play India as part of the normal cycle is going to be an unbelievably good series.

Last edited:
There is a good chance we'll look back on this test series as one of the most important played in recent times.

We've got two "generational" batting talents into the side and exposed them to good a good quality Indian bowling attack which is now 2 quicks deeper than it was a month ago.

Gill looks good at the top of the order. Shama looks completely different and capable of fulfilling his considerable talent at test level.

It's like this is the dress rehersal for the real thing which happens next year or the year after.

Sharma, Gill, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Pant, Jadeja, Ashwin, Bumra, Shami, Yadav/Sharma/Siraj/Saini

-vs-

Warner, Pucovski, Labuschange, Smith, #5, Green, Paine/Carey, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood

When we next play India as part of the normal cycle is going to be an unbelievably good series.
They can't carry Pant as a keeper.

We've got two "generational" batting talents into the side and exposed them to good a good quality Indian bowling attack which is now 2 quicks deeper than it was a month ago.

-vs-

Its interesting because both teams have a major hole to sort out in the lineup.

India's got a problem with the wicketkeeper, Pant is a decent bat, but he has far too many drops. Saha is safer with his hands but is 36 and gets shown up by elite test bowling outside the sub-continent.

Australia needs to sort out the 5 spot. I am convinced it wont come from inside the current squad and we might see a bolter.
Ben McDermott could be a show, i really like him and he has scored a 100 in the Aussie A side vs india at the start of the summer.

I also think if Kurtis Patterson can have a good run with injury he would be perfect for that spot. Was desperately unlucky to be injured when he did and lose his spot before the ashes last year after a good summer.

What happened to Kurtis Patterson? Jhye Richardson is the other one who looked really good I thought.
Got injured right before the ashes in 2019 and missed most of the year
Has struggled to get on the park consistently so his form has suffered without the ability to play county cricket etc overseas toget in form before this summer

Can't make a run for NSW
See above

well Pucovski should be at the number 5 spot and Usman should be opening, which was abundantly obvious at the start of the summer to anyone looking to just pick the best team, but the problem with selection is often we get so caught up with a narrative that's built over the last handful of games that we end up not picking the right team for tomorrow because some players simply haven't been able to build a narrative ("form" being the main narrative), so you end up tying yourself into knots.

to an extent I feel we have this was Head vs Wade, two flawed batsmen, but I don't have much reason to believe Wade is getting the nod for any other reason than he's a good tough bloke who they love to have in the team. That's nice, but not the best sign for picking a team. (if they actually have simply decided based on x, y & z that wade is the better batsman, great! i like it when selectors make these calls and stick with it, i'm just doubtful they've done that based on sound reason, and we've seen the opening batsmen lottery over the last 3 years...)

and i guess you have that with Patterson as well, who has played 7 FC games in 18 months and because he only has a top score of 94* in that team and because he has thrown away a few starts in that time, he now can't buy a run, forgotten man of aus cricket, etc etc, but really, a handful of poor matches isn't the end of the world if you think based on his overall career, his game, etc etc, that he has what it takes. I'm 50/50 myself, his poor conversion rate is a red flag. but like a handful of people, two good games and he's in the picture, which isn't exactly good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back