The Hangar Motoring Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My cousins are real car people, 4 decent cars in the one family. An original xw gt, An xb with a hot 351, a Mustang and the crowning glory, a 57 chev with the big block. It's now a wedding car but it took 15 years to build I reckon. It started as a Rusty Shell in the yard and all my uncle's were ridiculing him, but he came good, the final kicker when it was nearly done....He thought he'd put the pressure on, schedule it to be used in his own wedding. He was up all the night before the wedding trying to get it finished.

He did it!

Wedding morning, takes it out front to lay a bit of rubber in excitement... Blows diff, disaster!

The xw was the wedding car.

At one point in the 70's my grandfather owned an HK Monaro that had previously belonged to Holdens head of sales (or something similar). It had some options that weren't available to the general public making it a one off. The two that I know off the top of my head are it was the only factory auto HK and it was the only one to be painted its colour out the factory (a metallic green I believe - it was shipped to America for painting)

I've always wondered what it would be worth these days if he had kept it

At one point in the 70's my grandfather owned an HK Monaro that had previously belonged to Holdens head of sales (or something similar). It had some options that weren't available to the general public making it a one off. The two that I know off the top of my head are it was the only factory auto HK and it was the only one to be painted its colour out the factory (a metallic green I believe - it was shipped to America for painting)

It's probably still around. Sounds pretty damn collectable. Hopefully it made it into the right hands once your grandfather got rid of it.

Took delivery of the Passat last night. Apparently the first in WA (or so they told me). Thing is like a ******* spaceship. Feel like I need another degree just to set the thing up there's so much *stuff*.

Bloody nice though. :D
Very jealous. I loved my VW. The only thing with VW's is that I'd only ever want to keep them while they're still under warranty!

Very jealous. I loved my VW. The only thing with VW's is that I'd only ever want to keep them while they're still under warranty!
ditto, my exact experience with a Golf I had once and the turbocharger

Yes, the 1.4 TSi engine in the Golf and Jettas. My engine blew up after 2 years from new (under warranty) and a good friend of mine's 2010 Jetta (1.4 TSi) engine blew up last week (not under warranty but she's potentially getting VW to pay for it as she complained via email to the Australian CEO haha). I love VW's - one of my favourite cars, but my experience has put me off having one outside of its warranty period.

Yes, the 1.4 TSi engine in the Golf and Jettas. My engine blew up after 2 years from new (under warranty) and a good friend of mine's 2010 Jetta (1.4 TSi) engine blew up last week (not under warranty but she's potentially getting VW to pay for it as she complained via email to the Australian CEO haha). I love VW's - one of my favourite cars, but my experience has put me off having one outside of its warranty period.
The issue was specific to those engines (with the superchargers). I had the 1.4 turbo version which didn't have the same problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue was specific to those engines (with the superchargers). I had the 1.4 turbo version which didn't have the same problem.
I know it was. Having said that, I've heard some horror stories with VW's that weren't using that engine. But yes, that 1.4 TSi (Turbo and Supercharged) was notoriously bad.

Love hearing about these things. Read a few stories of execs getting an engine crated from the US in the 70s for the factory to fit into their personal car.

I think somebody at Ford had a 428 Cobra Jet put into a GT Falcon. Wonder if that's around.

Nice! They must have upgraded them to include reverse parking now.
Wifey was the test pilot. She kept going to grab the steering wheel and I have to admit I took one look at the angle it started reversing on and thought no way but then the wheel started flying around on it's own and it was pretty much done. One more small out and in to straighten up and she was golden. Freaked out chuckling ensued.

How's the car going Beerfish ?
Lovely. It is a dream to drive. Like a soft, silent (except for the tunes) cocoon from the idiots on Perf roads. Had the sunroof open yesterday morning. God I have missed having one. Still trying to figure out how the profiles attached to the keys work. You can have all settings in the car (interior lights, a/c, infotainment) set to a key so wifey can have the car set up the way she likes when she drives and vice versa. I think it has toned down my general driving aggressiveness on the road too which I wasn't really expecting. I'm just happy to cruise along at the moment.

People who do not know the road rules.
It does not matter how fast you are coming up the road, you must give way to traffic already in the roundabout ! That means you horn honking dipshits that if a truck pulls into the roundabout 100 meters before you reach it you give way and not continue at 60km and then jump on your ******* horn like you have been cut off !
With the morons driving around now I am glad to be the Warehouse manager and back up driver for our trucks and only on the road 1 or 2 days at the most.

People who do not know the road rules.
It does not matter how fast you are coming up the road, you must give way to traffic already in the roundabout ! That means you horn honking dipshits that if a truck pulls into the roundabout 100 meters before you reach it you give way and not continue at 60km and then jump on your ******* horn like you have been cut off !
With the morons driving around now I am glad to be the Warehouse manager and back up driver for our trucks and only on the road 1 or 2 days at the most.
God I know. I was moving at a crawl along Wattletree Road today in Malvern, and whenever we got to a side street, the car in front of me just blocked it off and I'm just sitting there thinking "Is your place in the queue really that important? Just let the people who might want to turn right do so." I waited and let a dozen people going the other way whenever I had the opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back