Politics The Hangar Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s quite reductionist and I wouldn’t draw the lines along religious bounds (given that Abrahamic religion is ultimately one thing with a single origin story), so much as ethnic ones — you have Kurds, Parsis, Copts — although I suppose the splintering of religion also has its impact with sunnis, shiites and amaddiya, etc. Loads of other groups that have been split across arbitrary boundaries so that they’re a minority in multiple countries instead of a majority in any of them. Permanent in-fighting and unnecessary problems.

It might be reductionist but sometimes the simplest terms are the ones that fit. Innocent civilians are dying needlessly, that's about as reductionist as you can make it. No need to start getting over complicated by media and propaganda, if you watched for two hours today you saw Israel put out a message claiming they had to bomb a hospital because hamas were using it to fire rockets, then Hamas claim Israel bombed an innocent hospital killing hundreds then Israel put out a statement saying Hamas blew up their own hospital with a misfired rocket, just playing social media tennis with lies while the people suffer. Barbarism

What's happening in Gaza right now is 100% a religious war. Hamas want Jihad, Israel (the state) want Muslims wiped.
Rubbish.

Look at how many Muslims live in Israel vs how many Jews live in any other Middle Eastern country.

Rubbish.

Look at how many Muslims live in Israel vs how many Jews live in any other Middle Eastern country.
1. I'm talking about Gaza. (which is in the process of getting wiped).
2. If a Muslim in Israel only gets spat on in this current climate, it's a good day.

I'm also trying to distinguish between the civilians of either side and it's armies.

1. I'm talking about Gaza. (which is in the process of getting wiped).
2. If a Muslim in Israel only gets spat on in this current climate, it's a good day.

I'm also trying to distinguish between the civilians of either side and it's armies.
Care to back up point 2 with some examples?

What's happening in Gaza right now is 100% a religious war. Hamas want Jihad, Israel (the state) want Muslims wiped.
A lot of that is true, but you also have to consider the good old struggle for territory that's been raging for decades.

The occupation discussion seems to have quietened in the last few years, which is quite concerning.

It may be a war between two groups that are members of different religious persuasions, but sweeping generalisations that tar billions of people based on the radicalised actions of a few are not helpful for anyone.

Less still the implication that any military action by Muslims is terrorism, but the religiously motivated military actions of others gets euphemistic treatment.

It may be a war between two groups that are members of different religious persuasions, but sweeping generalisations that tar billions of people based on the radicalised actions of a few are not helpful for anyone.

I used the words Hamas and Israel (state) as an attempt to not generalise. I am very much talking about Gaza and nothing else.

I used the words Hamas and Israel (state) as an attempt to not generalise. I am very much talking about Gaza and nothing else.
I accept that, but wasn’t refuting it anyway. You quoted my reply to Howie and I assumed you weren’t taking my reply out of context.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth noting that Egypt also closed their border with Gaza due to security reasons associated with Hamas.

The whole thing is a cluster*. Both sides committing atrocities and act and talk so hypocritically.

Worth noting that Egypt also closed their border with Gaza due to security reasons associated with Hamas.

The whole thing is a cluster*. Both sides committing atrocities and act and talk so hypocritically.

Egypt closed the border because they know if Gazans flee south like Israel have asked , that land is probably gone. They said it's closed 'for the cause' I assume that's the arab brotherhood talking, but I know Egypt is probably the only neighbouring arab country with a relatively amicable relationship with Israel, maybe it's tied in with getting the Sinai back and keeping it. I reckon they'd prefer a border with a stable Palestine than Israel at the end of the day

Probably depends which news outlet you digest, which probably says how laughable the news media landscape has become
yeah… sadly, the state of news media right now means i’m asking bigfooty for clarity

is there consensus as to who actually bombed the hospital yet?
it's a he said she said situation, though from what i read some of the claims that it was a hamas missile are dubious at best (ie; they've historically not been able to destroy buildings of that size, and now that they "allegedly" can, it calls into question their initial paragliding entrance into israel.) i'm leaning on the side of it being an accidental bombing but whoever did it deserves to face severe punishment and backlash

it's a he said she said situation, though from what i read some of the claims that it was a hamas missile are dubious at best (ie; they've historically not been able to destroy buildings of that size, and now that they "allegedly" can, it calls into question their initial paragliding entrance into israel.) i'm leaning on the side of it being an accidental bombing but whoever did it deserves to face severe punishment and backlash
You mean its a terrorist organisation said vs what Israel said

You mean its a terrorist organisation said vs what Israel said
outside observers have similarly had differing views, not just hamas vs israel. it’s not black versus white & both sides will happily target civilian structures to achieve their goals.

I'm not saying Hamas aren't evil, but Israel aren't exactly innocent in all of this either.

This, Israel aren't an innocent party in this, they're quite happy to commit appalling acts of their own.

It's a much more complex situation than good Israel vs bad Hamas.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back