Universal Love The Happy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Still hurting three days later. Everything since then has had something to remind me of what I don't wish to be reminded of: newspaper headlines, what people are wearing, Hawthorn licence plates (plural), overhearing people's conversations, the fact that when I look out of my window at work I see the MCG, the advert underneath where I'm typing right now which says "Hawthorn shooting for three AFL flags in a row" (can somebody please card the adverts?), the flog 'friends' of mine whose first contact with me in a year or so is a goading text message or social media post, somebody else telling me that I shouldn't be upset because it's just a game. And yes I appreciate the irony of coming back on BF so soon.

And as for the coming week... potentially the hardest week living in Melbourne in the past 20 years. GF week is huge here, so much so we're getting a public holiday on Friday. All to celebrate a game between Freo's arch rivals and Freo's bogey side. If I could I would leave the state, hell even the country. But that's not an option, so I'm just going to have to push the hurt down and live my life with a forced smile. Gonna put my therapist's kids through uni the way this is reading!

Enough has been said here about the game itself and the teams who played it. And the jerk umpires. Lot of threads either inherently negative or have gone that way through the posts contained within. What I want to start here is a happy thread. I need cheering up. I need reminding that the World is not coming to an end, and that there's some stuff for us as Freo fans to look forward to. So I invite you to reply with one thing that has been good about this year, and one thing you're looking forward to for next year.

Mine...

This year: sitting in the forward pocket of the MCG when we played Melbourne, Nat Fyfe takes a contested mark on the southern wing and takes a couple of bounces as he runs into the forward line (in my direction), and as the late afternoon sunlight framed him I thought how lucky we are that he is doing what he does while wearing our jumper.

Next year: Fyfe doing that again, only this time in late September.

Your turn. Cheer me up. I bloody well need it this week...

Everyone we need has re-signed.
Clarke, today, despite interest from other clubs - and he's a Victorian.

Through it all, the players are loyal and committed.

For me sitting in the Geelong members' section watching Nat Fyfe tear them a new one was sensational. My mate (from Geelong) who was not a big footy fan has been a dyed in the wool Docker fan ever since.

Alex Pearce's debut. We've got a bad wrap for some poor crowd behavior the last 2 games. But, when AP got his first touch and the "Haze" roared - amazing to hear.

We have great fans and AP is gonna be a srar!

Still hurting three days later. Everything since then has had something to remind me of what I don't wish to be reminded of: newspaper headlines, what people are wearing, Hawthorn licence plates (plural), overhearing people's conversations, the fact that when I look out of my window at work I see the MCG, the advert underneath where I'm typing right now which says "Hawthorn shooting for three AFL flags in a row" (can somebody please card the adverts?), the flog 'friends' of mine whose first contact with me in a year or so is a goading text message or social media post, somebody else telling me that I shouldn't be upset because it's just a game. And yes I appreciate the irony of coming back on BF so soon.

And as for the coming week... potentially the hardest week living in Melbourne in the past 20 years. GF week is huge here, so much so we're getting a public holiday on Friday. All to celebrate a game between Freo's arch rivals and Freo's bogey side. If I could I would leave the state, hell even the country. But that's not an option, so I'm just going to have to push the hurt down and live my life with a forced smile. Gonna put my therapist's kids through uni the way this is reading!

Enough has been said here about the game itself and the teams who played it. And the jerk umpires. Lot of threads either inherently negative or have gone that way through the posts contained within. What I want to start here is a happy thread. I need cheering up. I need reminding that the World is not coming to an end, and that there's some stuff for us as Freo fans to look forward to. So I invite you to reply with one thing that has been good about this year, and one thing you're looking forward to for next year.

Mine...

This year: sitting in the forward pocket of the MCG when we played Melbourne, Nat Fyfe takes a contested mark on the southern wing and takes a couple of bounces as he runs into the forward line (in my direction), and as the late afternoon sunlight framed him I thought how lucky we are that he is doing what he does while wearing our jumper.

Next year: Fyfe doing that again, only this time in late September.

Your turn. Cheer me up. I bloody well need it this week...

Watching Fyfe's strength this season. A great example was Pendlebury tackling Nat Fyfe and desperately trying to bring him down. Fyfe was too strong and was having none of that. A total beast!

Feel for you Tonga Bob. And so do thousands upon thousands of us across the country - remember that.

Here in the West the reminders start with seeing "The West is Ours" on back of Eagles numberplates. Loved our incredible champion Fyfey's reply to Bruce on who the club preferred to win (duh!): "I don't know which is worse for us!"

Nothing takes away legitimate hurt. But how I'm handling mine is to turn my deepest attention away from the GF - don't care about those teams - and focus on supporting our boys. They need us more than ever after last Friday.

I look at 2015 and I see: some great new talent debut - AP, Langdon, Grey with more to come from Weller, Blakely, Ballard. Marvellous Mundy, Neale, Sandi just getting better and better. Super stuff from Sonny. Spurr stepping up. Johnno the Noble. Sutty pulling himself out of woeful form. De Boer willing himself to go one better. Tommy Sheridan for getting right into it this year (and I'm NOT going to put our PF loss on your shoulders Tommy, just think of dropped sitters from many other teammates).

We won the minor premiership. Fyfey got his overdue Browlow. All the good stuff adds up to a 2016 with loads to interest and enthral and dissect......take a minibreak, TB, then get stuck into a good pre-season with all us other Freo supporters. Our story goes on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back