The I hate my job thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Standing at the bus stop this morning

10 mins late, it's clear it's not coming. Slowly walk back home to drive to the exchange and wondering why TF I'm waiting for a bus that isn't coming to take me 40 mins into the CBD to do a job I could do 100% remotely because middle management can't actually manage people unless you sit next to them in person. ******* infuriating and needless when you stop and think.

I wish I lived in Adelaide tbh...i would probably have the job I have been getting rejected for the past couple of years ;)

I wish I lived in Adelaide tbh...i would probably have the job I have been getting rejected for the past couple of years ;)
Little wrong with Adelaide mate. Affordable housing, less traffic, and there's very little you can't do here that you get in Sydney/Melbourne. Few less concerts (and sport in Melbourne case). Nightlife is dying mind you, expect that is everywhere with the price of a drink these days

Little wrong with Adelaide mate. Affordable housing, less traffic, and there's very little you can't do here that you get in Sydney/Melbourne. Few less concerts (and sport in Melbourne case). Nightlife is dying mind you, expect that is everywhere with the price of a drink these days
IF they offered me a job there, i would take it.

I love the CDB

Dude lives in Sydney claiming that rubbish. Worst city in the country

lol. Adelaide. International tourism hub. Who doesn't know it's *ing boring??

"I've got time off I'm going to take a trip to Adelaide." Said no one ever under the age of 70.

campaigners still don't realise why the Grand Prix was moved and no one goes there.
Like I said great for families and people waiting to die.

Imagine thinking Adelaide is a vibrant, exciting city Geoffrey.

lol. Adelaide. International tourism hub. Who doesn't know it's *ing boring??

"I've got time off I'm going to take a trip to Adelaide." Said no one ever under the age of 70.

campaigners still don't realise why the Grand Prix was moved and no one goes there.
Like I said great for families and people waiting to die.

Imagine thinking Adelaide is a vibrant, exciting city Geoffrey.
What can you do in the lovely Sydney you can't do here with less traffic, cheaper, and better weather?

You have a bridge and an opera house, that's it. Shithole

What can you do in the lovely Sydney you can't do here with less traffic, cheaper, and better weather?

You have a bridge and an opera house, that's it. Shithole

Come on man, the reason you are defending Adelaide is not because the place itself.
It's because of your community-friends and family etc. That's why it's good. And that's very understandable and good. I have great friends in Adelaide as well.

Adelaide itself is s**t. When you arrive it feels like a morgue.

And I'm not saying Adelaide v Sydney. I'm saying Adelaide v any decent city in the world.
Its s**t and that's why no one goes there or has ever heard of it when you are overseas. Mate in normal cities there is anything you want or are into every night of the week.

As I said it's great for families and to watch tv. For a young single adventurous person it's a nursing home.

Do they still close shops at 5pm but let you go shopping when it gets dark on Thursday nights.. lol

I really hate my job and company. I am trying a career change into a different industry, but its really hard to get an opportunity as an old grad/trainee, but I am determined to move!

I spend my days at work scouring seek, applying for roles and ignoring the pricks in the office who I hate more than the job itself.

So I eventually got a job. I put off applying to the bigger companies as I thought they would be harder to get an opportunity with.

So I get a call back from a big company on the first application, I had a 15 minute interview and got offered the role. I didn't know these places existed. There was no bullshit about "Can you work with 20 year olds". They acknowledged my lack of relevant job experience but my industry skills and knowledge would mean I would pick it up quickly and I would add value initially in other areas!

This week has gone from depths of despair after getting another internal rejection last Thursday to resigning in the space of 5 days!

I love my job and the people I work with.

In saying that, this last month has been tough. My retirement age boss has been getting more and more tired from the pain medicine, getting quite forgetful and increasingly reliant on others to do her job. But worst of all, her mood has been all over the place. No one has escaped her wraith in the last month.

alas, I don't see her retiring anytime soon despite all this. She is one of those people who loves being around the workplace. But it is also very hard to change anything as she doesn't understand what is wrong or ways we could improve. quite frustrating,
Nope, not getting better.

Today, everyone was flat out, apart from 1. The Boss was in her universe causing some drama and doing absolutely nothing else. Wouldn't be so bad if she didn't always need someone holding her hand; ala her own personal assistant making coffee and having someone to chat to. So many emails are getting left unread and unactioned. So frustrating to do the work to only to see it go down the drain later.

The other issue is the personal assistant is the most qualified person in the workplace. They would action these emails if they were allowed. It is so frustrating for all parties(including the "PA") . It is at the stage where we could be doing so much better without boss, as then, her "PA" can do the work she is paid to do

Alas, we are matching the targets the directors set us to do, so in their mind, she is doing a fantastic job. We have been hinting that they should see how the office actually runs. no success yet.

My current job they were very interested in someone wanting to commit to the role and be there for a while because they’d had a lot of turnover.

At the time I should have seen the red flag, but I was simply interested in the location more than the job itself.

Now I’m very much at the stage of hating the job, but it’s mainly due to the people in the team and I see why they’ve gone through so many people in the role. I’m probably the longest serving person they’ve had and it’s not because they think I’m great, they just can’t fire me as I was an internal applicant I didn’t even have to do a probationary period.

The biggest issue is, some of the team are real bitches and it’s doing work that is usually done at a higher level of pay.

I’ve already had an interview for another job, which was frustrating as it seemed like a waste of time as they’d already chosen their candidate and were just ticking a box. Wouldn’t even provide feedback afterwards.

But as I own my home with no mortgage, I’m at the stage where I have to decide do I keep working the job I hate just to keep some income, or go back to being a dole bludger until I find something else.

My other option is to see if they’ll let me go part time and hire someone else to share the role, might be able to put up with them 2 days a week…

So I spoke to my boss about part time, he wasn’t particularly receptive and says he’ll need to chat to HR to find out if it’s possible. I now have written medical advice stating I can’t continue to work full time in the current office environment so will be interesting to see what he says to that.

But in the meantime I’ve got an interview for a part time role in a different office doing the role I love so we’ll see where that goes first.

The most irritating part is my boss sat me down and said the entire team is disappointed in my work and frustrated by my lack of communication with them. Interesting though I spoke with most of the team who had nfi what the issue was and had no problem with my work. Which just confirms my suspicions it’s one person who is a real bitch to work with and the boss is passing her comments off as being from the entire team.

It was also interesting whilst discussing with another team member that they had the same personality clash with this person when she started, but they eventually worked through it. But she’s complaining about me not finishing tasks that the last thing o did was send them to her for approval or feedback and she’s never responded. She’s also refused to supply a copy of her notes from meetings to assist me in compiling minutes, then complains when they’re not up to her ever changing standards.

Problem is my boss instead of agreeing to my part time request wants to use her complaints as a catalyst for an official performance plan with HR…

So I spoke to my boss about part time, he wasn’t particularly receptive and says he’ll need to chat to HR to find out if it’s possible. I now have written medical advice stating I can’t continue to work full time in the current office environment so will be interesting to see what he says to that.

But in the meantime I’ve got an interview for a part time role in a different office doing the role I love so we’ll see where that goes first.

The most irritating part is my boss sat me down and said the entire team is disappointed in my work and frustrated by my lack of communication with them. Interesting though I spoke with most of the team who had nfi what the issue was and had no problem with my work. Which just confirms my suspicions it’s one person who is a real bitch to work with and the boss is passing her comments off as being from the entire team.

It was also interesting whilst discussing with another team member that they had the same personality clash with this person when she started, but they eventually worked through it. But she’s complaining about me not finishing tasks that the last thing o did was send them to her for approval or feedback and she’s never responded. She’s also refused to supply a copy of her notes from meetings to assist me in compiling minutes, then complains when they’re not up to her ever changing standards.

Problem is my boss instead of agreeing to my part time request wants to use her complaints as a catalyst for an official performance plan with HR…
mate i assume you are taking copious notes?
it does sound like they are using her complaints to manage you out, i've seen many cases of this happening and had it happen to me once.
many years ago, i was an operations manager that looked after the retail branches across australia for an ever-growing business. the branches were performing well and i was very good at keeping expenses low.
after 2 years, the directors (only 2) decided to split my role into 2 and make me a regional manager for w/a, s/a and vic. the other regional manager was given qld and nsw. over the next 3 months, this RM was flown down on a few different trips to see how things were happening in my region, under the guise of "learning". this evolved into dinners with the directors after hours to which no invite to me was forthcoming. i could see the writing on the wall a mile out, the last straw came when one of my branch managers rang me to let me know he'd received a "confidential" call from HR asking if I had actually traveled to his business in S/A the previous month. (i was responsible for booking all of my travel arrangement) he said something about this doesn't feel right and although he was asked to keep it confidential, he said he felt i was being stitched up in some way.
anyway, long story short, i was (at this stage) very unhappy and becoming depressed about the job and the micro-managing, especially considering my performance had not changed in the 3 years i had been there and my branches were all making well over 34% ebitda. around 3 weeks later, i was called in for a meeting with the managing director and told they would be advertising for a new role, essentially the same role i had as national operations manager but with a different name, and that the 2 regional manager roles would become redundant. the interviews would take place within 24hrs, lol, and an answer would be provided within 48 hours.
by this stage i had almost a spirax notebook full of notes on their inconsistencies over the last 8 months.
the interview went as expected, they sat there stony-faced and asked questions as if my responses were going to make any difference at all.
after the interview, i jumped in the car and proceeded to drive home around 45 minutes away. as i pulled up in my driveway, i received the call to advise being unsuccessful and what my redundancy package would be.
once advised what i would be paid out, i asked for a moment to check some notes i had made and request explanations for some circumstances i had experienced. it took around 15 minutes to read everything i had noted down, i asked each question and requested an answer before proceeding so that i could take down his responses to the questions. the kicker was when i mentioned being accused of taking flights interstate and my direct reports being questioned about this.
i was very calm and mentioned that i have significant cause to take this the fairwork commission for unfair dismissal and victimisation.
i mentioned i did not want my job back and negotiated 9 months salary as well as a payment for goodwill.
i was actually glad to be out of the business as it was extremely stressful and having a huge impact on my mental health.
i picked up an interim job just to keep money rolling in around 3 weeks later and then 7 months later picked up the role i'm currently in 15 years later.
i ran into an ex-staff member 18 months after i'd left and she mentioned that my replacement had actually gone awol with the company car, credit card etc and they couldn't locate her.
quite amusing when i'd looked on linkedin about 5 years ago and seen that one of the company directors had viewed my profile, obviously checking what i'd moved on to.
in short, please take notes, remain calm and try not to get emotional.

it does sound like they are using her complaints to manage you out, i've seen many cases of this happening and had it happen to me once.
many years ago, i was an operations manager that looked after the retail branches across australia for an ever-growing business. the branches were performing well and i was very good at keeping expenses low.
after 2 years, the directors (only 2) decided to split my role into 2 and make me a regional manager for w/a, s/a and vic. the other regional manager was given qld and nsw. over the next 3 months, this RM was flown down on a few different trips to see how things were happening in my region, under the guise of "learning". this evolved into dinners with the directors after hours to which no invite to me was forthcoming. i could see the writing on the wall a mile out, the last straw came when one of my branch managers rang me to let me know he'd received a "confidential" call from HR asking if I had actually traveled to his business in S/A the previous month. (i was responsible for booking all of my travel arrangement) he said something about this doesn't feel right and although he was asked to keep it confidential, he said he felt i was being stitched up in some way.
anyway, long story short, i was (at this stage) very unhappy and becoming depressed about the job and the micro-managing, especially considering my performance had not changed in the 3 years i had been there and my branches were all making well over 34% ebitda. around 3 weeks later, i was called in for a meeting with the managing director and told they would be advertising for a new role, essentially the same role i had as national operations manager but with a different name, and that the 2 regional manager roles would become redundant. the interviews would take place within 24hrs, lol, and an answer would be provided within 48 hours.
by this stage i had almost a spirax notebook full of notes on their inconsistencies over the last 8 months.
the interview went as expected, they sat there stony-faced and asked questions as if my responses were going to make any difference at all.
after the interview, i jumped in the car and proceeded to drive home around 45 minutes away. as i pulled up in my driveway, i received the call to advise being unsuccessful and what my redundancy package would be.
once advised what i would be paid out, i asked for a moment to check some notes i had made and request explanations for some circumstances i had experienced. it took around 15 minutes to read everything i had noted down, i asked each question and requested an answer before proceeding so that i could take down his responses to the questions. the kicker was when i mentioned being accused of taking flights interstate and my direct reports being questioned about this.
i was very calm and mentioned that i have significant cause to take this the fairwork commission for unfair dismissal and victimisation.
i mentioned i did not want my job back and negotiated 9 months salary as well as a payment for goodwill.
i was actually glad to be out of the business as it was extremely stressful and having a huge impact on my mental health.
i picked up an interim job just to keep money rolling in around 3 weeks later and then 7 months later picked up the role i'm currently in 15 years later.
i ran into an ex-staff member 18 months after i'd left and she mentioned that my replacement had actually gone awol with the company car, credit card etc and they couldn't locate her.
quite amusing when i'd looked on linkedin about 5 years ago and seen that one of the company directors had viewed my profile, obviously checking what i'd moved on to.

Gee what a shitshow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you for the advice, that’s a real s**t experience you had.

Thankfully I quickly found a better job and my boss was supportive as a reference to allow it to go through and get rid of me that way!

But to show what pricks I work with, I have lunch first each day as I’m starving by 12:00, they usually come in about 12:30. When the whole team is in they sit at the large table and I was told I should sit there to join in.

Anyway, on days when most are WFH, I sit at a smaller table but big enough for everyone from our team who is actually in the office. They walked in at 12.30 and got a table on the opposite side of the room with everyone but me…Of course those in today are the boss and the 2 who complain…

I'm starting to enjoy my job a little more now. Maybe because Ive been getting new clients and bringing in some good coin. I'm right on the edge now of using something like MYOB or Xero rather than do all the invoicing myself. It's getting a bit much which is a good problem to have. Xero has been recommended to me by a few people. Does anyone have any preference? I guess the easiest one for me is best.

I'm starting to enjoy my job a little more now. Maybe because Ive been getting new clients and bringing in some good coin. I'm right on the edge now of using something like MYOB or Xero rather than do all the invoicing myself. It's getting a bit much which is a good problem to have. Xero has been recommended to me by a few people. Does anyone have any preference? I guess the easiest one for me is best.
Brother uses it for his painting business and he says it's perfect for him. Uploading receipts and what not

I don't know the ins and outs or your business but seems to work for the tradie sole traders fwiw

Coles/Woolworths.
VISA/Mastercard.

They're both good for what you need.

I'm starting to find it more challenging, burning out quicker, becoming frustrated, and increasing stress.

The job/org probably has a shelflife given it's very fast paced and we're all over capacity because it's a lean organisation in terms of resourcing, so I'm probably getting to that stage quicker than I have previously.

Change is stressful but there's only so long I can keep pushing through at 100% every day before I'm really going to burn out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back