The Live Strategy and Content Thread

Just out of interest what are you studying and what do you intend on doing when you finish uni?

How many hours do you generally spend on uni stuff/poker whilst you're at uni?

Accounting and Sports Adminastration.

I was full-time and would have well and truly been done by now until we had an out of blue death/suicide in the family, after which I took 18 months off and only came back part time which I am doing now. Its a little bit difficult because I have done 0 accounting units between when the death happened (end of 2008) and now so basically had to relearn 2 or 3 of the early accounting units all of again.

Im basically trying to play almost every waking hour from Friday night to Monday morning playing poker and the rest of the time focusing on uni, so at a rough guess I would spend ~30 hours a week playing poker over 3 nights, and 20-25 on university study.

When uni is done I fully intend on trying to go at least 12 months without seriously playing a hand of poker live. Poker in a vacuum just is not any fun anymore, (only more fun then work) and as such I look forward to not having to play poker and instead having an ordinary 9-5 M-F and actually enjoying my footy on the weekends.

--------------

As a tangent, there was a friend of mine who was full time at UWA and played more hours a week then I did in a smaller game (Back at 2/3 with a smaller buy-in). I have no idea how he handled that going into his last few semesters at uni.

Yeah the accounting subjects particularly later in a degree can be tough.

I'm also studying and would break down my usual week to anywhere 20-60 hrs of poker, 10-15 hrs work, 2hrs uni maybe (I don't bother going to class).

Then leading up to exams I'd probably do a week or two of 35hr+ study. 100% exams FTW!

Interesting hand from a last night. I will probably cross-post it when I get home to 2+2 as well, but since I cant access that site from uni Il just go here for now.

Game is 2/5 500max at Burswood.

Hero has what would be considered a tilty image. I started the session fairly well and won a few biggish pots, including a biggish pot with K8s which I raised over a few weak limper. I flopped trip 8s, got two streets, before the board got pretty wet (886-7-9) and I had to check the river and managed to beat a busted flush draw that had backed into a pair.

Since then I lost a huge pot with JJ. I raised preflop to 25 after a limper, got called in SIX spots and saw a JT4 board with two spades. I bet 135 into 180 and got a call all-in for ~100 and a call from seat 3, who lets call Nigel. Turn was the 6 of spades, and since he only had around 200 left, and I would have probably called it off if he shoved since he has a lower set sometimes and I still want to fold out hands like KQ with a spade I shipped, and he instantly called with K8s. River bricked I lost.

I then lost with AA against 99 all-in pre for a relatively large pot, maybe $500 total. So I do seem tilty to the average player.

Nigel in seat 3 is a spot in the game. Playing too many hands for raises, raising a fairly large % of the time, hasn't 3bet or been 3bet at all. As well as the K8s hand he has shown down Q7s in a raised pot and a few other creative hands.

Luis Suarez (a guy wearing a Suarez shirt, big Lpool fan I know) is a tight recreational player who probably wins, but not a heap. Has a "poker should be played a certain way" mentality and scoffs at some plays by some hands, including a few of mine back in the day. He had the 99 in the hand I had Aces, where after two limps he made it 20, I made it 65 from the BB, and he shipped for I think ~200.

The fourth player is a random drunkard who is pretty clueless.

---------------------------

Ash12: $800 (SB)
Nigel: $1.1k (EP)
Suarez: $600 (button)
Drunkard: $200 (MP)

Nigel opens to 20 in EP, and is called by random drunkard, a person (cant remember who) Suarez calls from the button. I call from the SB with K:spade:J:spade: and the BB folds.

FLOP: J:diamond:3:diamond:3:club:

I check, Nigel bets 65, random drunkard calls with about 120 behind, Suarez overcalls.

Ashley12???????????

Played this hand recently which I thought I'd get some thoughts on.

Crown $2/5 $500 effective.

Villain is a female 2/3 & 2/5 player that plays quite a bit, on the aggressive but straight-forward side and doesn't tend to make calls light. We have no non-standard history.

I have 10:spade:4:spade: in the big blind. She's in the SB.

One player in MP limps, she completes and I check.

Flop is K:spade:Q:spade:8x. She leads out $15, I call, MP folds.

Turn is Jx. She makes it $40, and again I call.

River bricks and she bets $75. Hero raises to $225?????

While straight-forward, you dont mention if she is the bet/fold type.

There are a % of players, some of whom are breakeven, tiny winners that basically never bet/fold rivers, so Im not sure.

Personally against some people who will fold all one pair hands on the flop that she would only complete with, I would prefer to raise the flop IMO.

That said, I probably c/f river.

She can bet/fold.

She's not the type to ever complete here with QQ+ AK or KQ (she's agressive preflop). So I could not put on her on that many hands that she can call a river raise with, my hand also looks fairly strong after I smooth call 2 pretty much psb.

I also though she'd probably check/call her Kx/Q8 type hands and only bet her bluffs and KJ, KQ 88 type hands.

Flop raise screams FD imo given I just check. What am I representing with a flop raise?

What are you really repping on the river? You would really slow play flop and turn with anything worthy of raising the river on a complete brick?

I think that I would raise the flop, bet scary turn cards and check the turn for a free-card if the turn was a complete brick.

That's a very valid point. Though I definitely wouldn't raise 100% of flops & turns with 88, KQ, K8 type hands.

I think I tend to think about 'what can they call me with' rather than 'what can I realistically have in this spot'.

I just thought that her line was far too aggressive for what I expected to have and as a result she must be at the absolute top of her range to call, regardless of what I have. I don't think she's the type of thinking player that will snap this off with J10 on the river, and she wouldn't know whether I'm capable of a river bluff like this.

My plan on the flop was to either hit my flush or just make her fold on the river assuming there weren't any really nasty cards.

She called with 88

I tend to raise a lot of rivers like this, still working out whether it's profitable and when and which players to target.

Poker recently seems to have been less about making money but more about making audacious bluffs/hero calls. A bit worrying.

I went through a stage like that as well, where I was making "light" 4bet shoves with hands like AQ, because since I was raising so wide from the CO or whatever and that AQ is close to the top of my range in that spot, and then getting snapped off by Kings, and losing.

It took time, but I eventually realised that they werent adjusting to me and 3betting for the most part, they just went through a phase of picking up QQ+ a lot. And even if I am hypermega exploitable by raise/folding to 3bet a huge % of the time, since they arent going out of their way to exploit me, and just playing level 1 poker, I dont have to worry about being exploitable.

There are around 6 people who I think could make a move to exploit me at Burswood, and about two that actually do. I know who they are and dont have to worry about the other 98% of the population, because since they are more focused on losing as little as possible (why they always c/c rather then b/f most rivers) they arent going to 3bet light because of the off-chance I have AA or KK. Its the same reason some people, despite complaining I raise so wide, always flat me preflop with hands like JJ when I raise in LP.

Which leads me to another revelation that I had a few weeks ago. I can fold 100% of my range, or close to it, in certain HU spots. For example, the other day I raised preflop in MP with IIRC AJ or something. I completely missed the flop, something like T76 with a two suit.

There was a donk, and a raise to me. I was thinking that since I probably would limp 77 or 66 in that spot, I would need exactly TT to continue (I raised EP, so I would rarely have 89s in that spot. I think given the action I would have easy folds of all overpairs vs the villians in particular.

Then when I thought about it more, vs the nitty villian who raised the flop, I realised that even if the action went check, I bet, they check/raise, I would fold the same range, even though it is HU. IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOU ARE EXPLOITABLE IF YOU ARE PLAYING PLAYERS THAT WILL NOT EXPLOIT YOU! I thought about it for a bit, took on board "properly" unlike other times, where I remember it for a weak and go broke on the same board with QQ or whatever.

This is even more important that our game is now 100bb rather then 60bb.

Anyway, /csb

A good example of the top of your range thing.

Live 2/5

Hero: $1200: Playing well, very aggressive postflop, ran a few bluffs that no-one got to see, havent opened a heap preflop though due to not having great hands.

Villian: $1000: Weak regular that is showing up with some random hands in certain spots. One hand in particular limp/called with 32ss, got it in with a 12 out draw and got there.

Others: A range of $200-$500 with one other guy on $1k+. Usual 2/5 Saturday night players.

A limp by the villian, I raise to 25 with AKo, 3 callers behind me, a blind calls, and the limper calls.

FLOP: ATT with two diamonds. I have the Kd

Check, villian bets $90 into $150.

Im next in... Hero?

This is quite tricky spot and depends a lot on the line-up.

Most fish are checking a 10 100% of the time here though, and you are not raising here with AA or A10.

I would probably just call and re-evaluate the turn.

Played this hand recently which I thought I'd get some thoughts on.

Crown $2/5 $500 effective.

Villain is a female 2/3 & 2/5 player that plays quite a bit, on the aggressive but straight-forward side and doesn't tend to make calls light. We have no non-standard history.

I have 10:spade:4:spade: in the big blind. She's in the SB.

One player in MP limps, she completes and I check.

Flop is K:spade:Q:spade:8x. She leads out $15, I call, MP folds.

Turn is Jx. She makes it $40, and again I call.

River bricks and she bets $75. Hero raises to $225?????

grunch

dont really like it, but I should note I have a specific player (as in actual person) in my head judging from your description and its probably her. There arent that many regs who fit the description.

It sounds basic but she isnt bet folding here much at all. I can imagine her b/calling a lot of worse hands that what she actually had or represents.

Turn is pretty close. I guess stats its about breakeven/slightly +ev (without bringing out the calculater) plus the extra you get her to fold the better hand makes it a touch better but its a dangerous game still

Cant see her folding much of her range to a river spaz though.In some universe she might sigh fold thinking you hit a gutterball on the turn but not enough in this universe to warrant the raise.

Muck it and move on

I dunno if we are talking about the same person there are a couple of people that potentially fit it (this woman probably plays 75% 2/3).

A lot of what you said is probably true but I don't think my river raise was necessarily a spaz. I agree with you if I was out of position and just donked the river that it would look terrible, but her betting 3 streets and then being raised on the river imo makes her fold a lot of her range. Indicated by the fact that she just called the river with a set here.

To be clear I'm not expecting her to fold 88 in this situation. But I am expecting her to fold hands like K9/K10/QJ/Q8 as well as her busted draws. The raise forces her to be at the top of her range to call, in this particular instance she was.

A good example of the top of your range thing.

Live 2/5

Hero: $1200: Playing well, very aggressive postflop, ran a few bluffs that no-one got to see, havent opened a heap preflop though due to not having great hands.

Villian: $1000: Weak regular that is showing up with some random hands in certain spots. One hand in particular limp/called with 32ss, got it in with a 12 out draw and got there.

Others: A range of $200-$500 with one other guy on $1k+. Usual 2/5 Saturday night players.

A limp by the villian, I raise to 25 with AKo, 3 callers behind me, a blind calls, and the limper calls.

FLOP: ATT with two diamonds. I have the Kd

Check, villian bets $90 into $150.

Im next in... Hero?

I flat as well. Raising chases out every other Ace and random pocket pairs etc. Id rather let this guy c/call turn and river with AJ/A5 type hands.

If hes got the ten hes probably going to let you know at some point on the turn with a c/raise or something, which is probably going to cost you the same amount as a flop raise anyway.

I think you only gain value by flatting, so flat and bet if checked to on all turns

Very interesting.

I talked this hand over with one of the better players that plays regularly (beats 50 and 100NL on Stars) at Burswood and he thinks its closer to a fold then a call.

His logic being that the opponent has donked into 6 people after limp calling. He isnt going to have a heap of really strong aces that limp call, and are willing to donk.

Even the time he does have an ace, there is a decent chance that someone behind has a T, as those middling hands such as QTs, JT, T9 etc... people love to call raises with preflop.

There are going to be very few good cards on the turn (other then a A ldo) and in general its probably just a fold.

Even though we have close to the top of our range in this spot in particular, the other person in the hand is never going to try and exploit purely us in a massively multiway pot.

If the board was A55 then it would be a different story altogether.

Results

I called one time, the rest of the field folded

Turn was a king, he checked, I checked back for pot control and to attempt to get one street on the river.

River was a 4 or something, he bet 205, I thought for a bit, called, and lost to IIRC JT

Yes, that hand is either call or fold, though i'm definitely calling one street given we have position on the turn.

Played this hand today.

$1400 effective.

I'm on the button with AhKh. Villain is relatively unknown and is playing quite solidly. I have a weak player to my direct right and have been isolating him a lot.

Villain makes it $20 in MP. Fish on my right calls. I make it $90 and they both call.

Flop is Ac 7s 2d. Checked to me and I bet $145. Villain calls, fish folds.

Turn 4s putting up a spade draw.

Checked to me. I bet $230. Villain makes it $525.

I do what?

Interesting spot, and I am not really sure what to make of it, despite the fact that it is a relatively common spot

Its another spot where we are at the top (or very close to) our range for a 3bet preflop (Im not sure when you have been isolating whether its been over the fishes raises or over his limps).

I check the turn an awful lot on monotone boards dry boards with one pair hands, not sure how bad that is but in my mind with monsters they love to wait for the turn, so I either get value on the river from worse aces, let them value-own themselves, or dont get felted by a set agianst somewhat competant villians (this term is very subjective fwiw).

As played, Bart Hansons podcast mentioned a thing were you can call with made hands to fold certain brick rivers because live players are so passive and assume you are showdown bound with a hand you often have, so will make actions somewhat faceup, allowing you to call turns to fold rivers. At first I didint agree with it, but the more I thought about it, the more I like the idea, given how few villians at the Burswood 2/5 game bet on the end.

This could be a rare case of call turn, fold river to further action, but
again, it just doesnt seem right.

If Im bettng, Im presumably bet/folding against a complete unknown, but again, I dont like it.

-----------------

I realise that is a complete waste of a response, so Im going to address this again when I get out of bed.

What can he show up with?

I doubt he's opening for a raise and then calling a 3b OOP with 22, 44, A2, A7, A4, 74 72 or 24.

77 and AA?

AsXs?

Implied multiway action (he can presume fishie will call) he would definately call with all the pairs, in fact I think he is going to call far more with the smaller semi-connectors then with an easily dominated Ax such as ATo etc...

The main problem is if you call, it looks like so often that since you can rarely have a draw, you are going to call almost every river card in the deck. As such, if your hand looks like what it is, and he is still shoving, its kind of a sticky spot for the river.

Burswood players, with the exception of maybe 4 or so players, are so straightforward they will never c/r bluff the turn on a board such as this. So in general I am far more happy to bet/fold like its my birthday then I would be in a newer game against more unknown opponents.

I folded thinking that he is repping 77 only and I don't want to play for stacks on the river.

He told me later he had A10ss, not sure I believe him.

Seems strange given my range is fairly polarised in this particular spot but whatever, i still think he had 77 or AA.

If he had ATs I think he butchered it unless in his mind he is trying to get you to fold AK and AQ, which isnt impossible, but since I would never c/r that hand with the intention the bluff (for most Burswood people) then I guess that I would never do that.

ATs I would have either folded pre or 4bet as well OOP.

Ya, he should just be trying to get a cheap showdown if he has A10s, given my value range here crushes A10 and i'm folding all my bluffs.

I doubt he was actively turning A10 into a bluff, he probably knew nothing about me and my b/f tendencies. It's just not worth it that deep when we had a bona fide fish on the table spewing BI's and he was old so I don't think he was that smart generally lol.

I so wanted to shove but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Back