Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Vdubs mentioned i should check this out, so in the interests of sharing something a little 'different'...

i came across this video a few days ago, a 17 year old french girl playing the third movement of a piece of music i really like, the moonlight sonata.

everyone knows the first movement, but im not sure how many would know the third. i am not personally into metal, or 'shredding', but i was blown away at how well this particular piece translated, and this girl has an absolutely bullet proof technique. possibly lacking in 'feel', but that is a very minor quarrel...

anyway, here it is!

Throughout time, the world has been full of songs, singers and musicians.

But there's only been one Nina. Here she takes control of the piano, lets Cole Porter mingle with J.S. Bach and delivers supreme devastation to one's heart.

It's also a long song title. :D

Everything else just pales for a few days after hearing this, so you've been warned.

Have a mate who named his stunning Standard Poodle after Nina.

Vdubs mentioned i should check this out, so in the interests of sharing something a little 'different'...

i came across this video a few days ago, a 17 year old french girl playing the third movement of a piece of music i really like, the moonlight sonata.

everyone knows the first movement, but im not sure how many would know the third. i am not personally into metal, or 'shredding', but i was blown away at how well this particular piece translated, and this girl has an absolutely bullet proof technique. possibly lacking in 'feel', but that is a very minor quarrel...

anyway, here it is!

I see you edited this, and I was about to comment that she certainly exhibited feel, imho, but just an awesome talent.
Vigier Excalibur.
I know nothing about guitars btw, just love the music.

Last edited:

I see you edited this, and I was about to comment that she certainly exhibited feel, imho, but just an awesome talent.

i dont think that particular style of guitar playing lends itself to 'feel', mostly due to the tone of the instrument? but i was definitely being a tad hyper-critical of something that is rather incredible.

8 years ago
How did you stumble upon this talent? Youtube?
Youtube is my biggest addiction.

my dad showed the 'moonlight 3rd' video to me, he is a massive classical buff and a lot of that rubbed off onto me. its a shame more young people don't give it a chance, there is some incredible stuff out there. ive been to a few ASO concerts, and have been one of maybe 10 under 30 out of a crowd of a thousand.

some of the stories of what the classical/romantic era musicians were capable of is mind-boggling...

beethoven once played a rehearsal of his C major piano concerto in B major off the top of his head because the piano was a semi-tone out of tune. baffling musicianship.

grieg once showed liszt the sheet music for his latest violin concerto. liszt read it (not heard it, read it) once, put it down and said 'very good, but may I suggest this...' and then played it back, with corrections, playing the violin melody with his two thumbs and the orchestration with his other fingers.

madness!

and then you have the other side of that coin, someone like john lennon, who despite being technically limited, wrote some of the most amazing and enduring music of our generation. he once said something along the lines of 'im not a great guitar player, but i can make it talk' - and you only have to listen to the guitar solo in 'happiness is a warm gun' (which was him, not harrison) to know what he meant. simplicity itself, and essentially just a variation on the melody, but it is pure soul.

Last edited:
didn't realise there were themes... long titles is the current one?

'everybodys got something to hide except me and my monkey'...

cant find a youtube clip of the beatles version, but as far as 'songs with long titles' go, i don't even need to listen to the others posted so far to confidently say 'its the best one'.

for 'weirdest one', i will suggest 'you know my name (look up the number)', also by the beatles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back