The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just made it home. Last three or so days we're interesting to say the least.

I was out in the Moroccan desert on a full day tour. Get back to my hotel around 8pm to learn the country is closed and I have four hours to get out.

Couldn't get out as the airport was chaos. Was stuck two more days before repatration flights were sent and we managed to get extrmely lucky and make our way to Paris.

There we were denied entry into the country as they have closed their borders to non-eu so we could not claim our bags. Managed to change my existing flight out of Manchester to out of Paris and had to wait 18 hours in the airport for that flight.

Finally made it back into Perth a few hours ago but our luggage is still in Paris. No idea if we are gonna be able to get it back.

Crazy few days. Happy to be home though. Now for 14 days self isolation.

I was out in the Moroccan desert on a full day tour. Get back to my hotel around 8pm to learn the country is closed and I have four hours to get out.

Couldn't get out as the airport was chaos. Was stuck two more days before repatration flights were sent and we managed to get extrmely lucky and make our way to Paris.

There we were denied entry into the country as they have closed their borders to non-eu so we could not claim our bags. Managed to change my existing flight out of Manchester to out of Paris and had to wait 18 hours in the airport for that flight.

Finally made it back into Perth a few hours ago but our luggage is still in Paris. No idea if we are gonna be able to get it back.

Bloody hell. Well done on making it home and good on you for isolating, you’re doing your community a big service. Make sure you give your GP a call immediately to arrange a test if you experience any symptoms.

Bloody hell. Well done on making it home and good on you for isolating, you’re doing your community a big service. Make sure you give your GP a call immediately to arrange a test if you experience any symptoms.
They don't care unless you're really sick.

Hopefully a sign of things to come but things seem to be improving down here, people seem to be more settled probably because feeling safer with our borders closed. A lot of people out for dinner tonight. The wife runs a beauty business and 80% of people cancelled this week but she has now a heap of new bookings for next week, I work in Allied Health and similar for us. Also people getting around small business, obviously still will be some economic casualties but good to see common sense starting to outshine the bogan panic crap.

They don't care unless you're really sick.

There’s a bit of misinformation going around about this.

There are people who are well with no history of travel or links to cases demanding covid testing which they don’t need. These people are refused covid testing because it will place a burden on pathology providers to process tests for people who actually do need them, and inhibit the outbreak response.

If you have a history of overseas travel, or are a close contact of a confirmed case, and you have symptoms consistent with covid, call your GP. They will either test you themselves, or (if they don’t have PPE), arrange a referral to a covid testing clinic linked to the major public hospitals. You will be tested. If your GP can’t facilitate this, call or email the CDC.

South Australia ahead of the curve, our public pathology provider included covid on the standard respiratory panel from very early on in the outbreak. Every person being tested for respiratory infection in SA over the last few weeks has been concurrently tested for covid. Consequently, SA has some of the highest testing rates anywhere in the world.

Last edited:
There’s a bit of misinformation going around about this.

There are people who are well with no history of travel or links to cases demanding covid testing which they don’t need. These people are refused covid testing because it will place a burden on pathology providers to process tests for people who actually do need them, and inhibit the outbreak response.

If you have a history of overseas travel, or are a close contact of a confirmed case, and you have symptoms consistent with covid, call your GP. They will either test you themselves, or (if they don’t have PPE), arrange a referral to a covid testing clinic linked to the major public hospitals. You will be tested. If your GP can’t facilitate this, call or email the CDC.

South Australia ahead of the curve, our public pathology provider included covid on the standard respiratory panel from very early on in the outbreak. Every person being tested for respiratory infection in SA over the last few weeks has been concurrently tested for covid. Consequently, SA has some of the highest testing rates anywhere in the world.

This is not misinformation. I know firsthand people who have displayed symptoms who have been turned away from tests.

No pubs, restaurants, leisure centres, gyms, clubs etc in the UK from tomorrow.

Should have happened 3 weeks ago.

Look at the way Taiwan handled it. They were isolating right from the start and have only suffered 135 cases despite millions travelling from mainland China to Taiwan. They learned their lesson from SARS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see you're safe Jodly and well. If you have any symptoms after isolation get tested ASAP.

In the meantime you can watch Istanbul & Madrid 3 times a day for the next 2 weeks at home!

It shows us one thing, that the world definitely wasn't prepared for a global pandemic. Another Virus like this was always going to happen again, it's happened before and after Covid-19, there'll come a day when there's another virus that hits, we just weren't prepared.
There’s a ted talk from five years ago with Bill Gates saying we aren’t ready for the next pandemic.

Should have happened 3 weeks ago.

Look at the way Taiwan handled it. They were isolating right from the start and have only suffered 135 cases despite millions travelling from mainland China to Taiwan. They learned their lesson from SARS.
Dont even pretend that you know what you are talking about

Currently have a venue capacity of over 350 reduced to 100 across 4 rooms. Doors locked and room capacity of 30 max for a sports bar with football and Saturday races on. Every function cancelled for 6 months and a bistro capacity of 16... death of a thousand cuts. Life savings tied up in this, and a mortgage I’ve busted my arse to pay down over the years. At least one won’t survive I think

Currently have a venue capacity of over 350 reduced to 100 across 4 rooms. Doors locked and room capacity of 30 max for a sports bar with football and Saturday races on. Every function cancelled for 6 months and a bistro capacity of 16... death of a thousand cuts
I feel your pain buddy. Got a mate whos cafe made 10% of their usual takings last week.

We are lucky one of our cafes has a lawned area next door(half the size of a footy pitch) we able to space the tables out nicely and as long as the weathers fine it'll work for now.

Currently have a venue capacity of over 350 reduced to 100 across 4 rooms. Doors locked and room capacity of 30 max for a sports bar with football and Saturday races on. Every function cancelled for 6 months and a bistro capacity of 16... death of a thousand cuts. Life savings tied up in this, and a mortgage I’ve busted my arse to pay down over the years. At least one won’t survive I think

It really is hurting, I have plenty of hospitality venues as clients and feel your pain.

Apart from the up to 25k business grant have you found any other avenues of relief?

Sadly 25k wouldnt get you through the week.

Its a max of 25k which is peanuts.

Over in France theyve put a freeze on all bills for the time being.

Scomo is doing bugger all for small business. Rabbits on about the 150k instant tax write off, the last thing small business needs is spending 150k on assets.

Sadly 25k wouldnt get you through the week.
Shows just how precarious life is. We all like to think we live in the lucky country, a strong and diverse economy.

But something like this hits and hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions are up a creek without a paddle.

they’re spending billions to help us all and by years end will likely have spent hundreds of billions more. Bloody hard job to fix and help us all. Just looks like an exercise in plugging far too many holes in the dam wall.

Have you contacted your bank Fwoy they’re being encouraged to offer loan relief to customers, particularly small businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back